In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2016+ GM INDEPENDENT Air Intake Testing- Black Bear Performance

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about the trusty MIT tube?   It amazes me how much people are willing to pony up for an intake but won't spend 40 cents for about the same amount of power.

On the traceability of the tune.....I had the guys at the dealership check both mine, and a co-worker of mine's trucks....I have a 2015 1500 6.2 - 8 spd., my co-worker has a 2015 2500HD 6.0 - 6 spd.,

Promotional thread, not at all. Intent to sell *some* intake systems as a result, absolutely. We have compiled all of the data as of last month (this type of work takes time in between the daily pro

Your custom tuned 6.2 still knocks on 93 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine does every now and then, only when I decide to romp on it and it's sittin at 5-6k rpm's. I attribute it to the quality of gas around here since I didn't fill up at the same spot all the time for a while. I got to know which stations my truck didn't like. If i could feel it knock then a can of the booster went in and never had an issue after that

Just looked at a map of where 93 and up is sold in the US. Why is it mainly sold in the eastern half of the US? not a single gas station in Montana has it according to a few sites I looked at. A little disappointed

Because you are at higher altitude in Montana and as a result, fuel burns differently. Running 91 in Montana is like running 93 down at sea level. Or so they say. Here in Colorado and most other places above 3500/4000ft it's 85, 87, and 91 octane.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Because you are at higher altitude in Montana and as a result, fuel burns differently. Running 91 in Montana is like running 93 down at sea level. Or so they say. Here in Colorado and most other places above 3500/4000ft it's 85, 87, and 91 octane.

When ASTM made the recommendation that it was acceptable to run lower grades of fuel at higher altitudes back in the early 80's, this was a true statement as cars did not have advanced engine control computers to compensate for lower air densities. Of course the oil companies loved the idea because they could now sell a cheaper product at a higher profit margin.

Today, with engine control modules that can compensate and adjust for any operating condition, this is no longer true.

That being said...I highly doubt going from 91 to 93 octane would make a detectable difference at any altitude.

• txab pinned this topic