In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2016+ GM INDEPENDENT Air Intake Testing- Black Bear Performance

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about the trusty MIT tube?   It amazes me how much people are willing to pony up for an intake but won't spend 40 cents for about the same amount of power.

On the traceability of the tune.....I had the guys at the dealership check both mine, and a co-worker of mine's trucks....I have a 2015 1500 6.2 - 8 spd., my co-worker has a 2015 2500HD 6.0 - 6 spd.,

Promotional thread, not at all. Intent to sell *some* intake systems as a result, absolutely. We have compiled all of the data as of last month (this type of work takes time in between the daily pro

Will you actually gain anything with a CAI without tuning for it? Interested to see the results, currently cant justify spending 500+ canadian beans on 3hp and a throatier sound. +1 for the GM performance intake.

5.3L The GM one or any other brand with 87 octane. If it is running premium for gain it does not count.

^^ This. How does the GM Performance CAI compare against the rest.

A 2016 Yukon Denali has a 6.2L.

Are you saying that as "oh by the way this is an option now" or are you saying "this is what we are testing: A 2016 Yukon Denali WITH a 6.2L"?

We've done drop in testing in the past... no performance difference has been seen by just changing a filter. The factory filter is not a restriction.

You would be amazed the number of people who want to rip into you when you tell them this. CAI are great but not unless you do headers, exhaust at minimum and run premium and probably tune as well. It is in no way bolt on horsepower.

In all honestly testing on CAI's has been done to death and you are beating a dead horse at this point. A lot more credited people like Dave Frieberger of Motor Trend and more have already busted this myth several times over.

I have already spent thousands and preparing to spend thousands more on my truck and CAI in like at the bottom of that list and truthfully I would probably rather want to save the $5-600 and put towards a kick ass supercharger for ~$4500. If you have gone all that way why top your sunday with chopped peanuts when you can have the whipped cream and cherry on top.

Edited by Alpine Truck Life
  • Like 1

You would be amazed the number of people who want to rip into you when you tell them this. CAI are great but not unless you do headers, exhaust at minimum and run premium and probably tune as well. It is in no way bolt on horsepower.

In all honestly testing on CAI's has been done to death and you are beating a dead horse at this point. A lot more credited people like Dave Frieberger of Motor Trend and more have already busted this myth several times over.

Here's the last one, if you're interested:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/145676-bbp-independent-intake-test-results/

• Like 1

pass

I have seen enough CAI testing to last a lifetime I already know the results.

edit: OK I looked I don't know why but I did and yup exactly as I figured little to no noticeable gain outside the margin of error. Air temp humidity etc all effect results as well unless tested in a sterile lab environment which other have done.

^^ This. How does the GM Performance CAI compare against the rest.

Are you saying that as "oh by the way this is an option now" or are you saying "this is what we are testing: A 2016 Yukon Denali WITH a 6.2L"?

Just reminding folks that the testing will be on a 2016 Yukon Denali, which has the 6.2L. So 5.3L is not an option to run, nor is 87 octane.

Edited by Jennabear

pass

I have seen enough CAI testing to last a lifetime I already know the results.

edit: OK I looked I don't know why but I did and yup exactly as I figured little to no noticeable gain outside the margin of error. Air temp humidity etc all effect results as well unless tested in a sterile lab environment which other have done.

Each day, we still have a minimum of 25 people ask what the best intake is. Some folks would rather see the results, than just hear it. We have done the testing before on an earlier model, and plan to do the exact same testing on the newer model. I am sure you realize that aftermarket exhausts are not performance enhancers either? They are even further down on the spectrum than an intake.

As far as running performance mods, I assume you think we are novices in that arena as well?

As far as Motor Trend, please do send me to their testing. We have yet to see it.

Edited by Jennabear
  • Like 2

I've heard the thing about tuning. But, isn't that the gain from the tune and not the intake kit because of a tune? Has anybody dynoed with just a tune with stock intake and then with an intake kit?

Honestly, I was into the intake kit hype when I had my '98. Had the K&N and really the only thing I might have felt was a slight gain in throttle response. That could have been that whole placebo thing though so I'm not sure. This time with my '14 all I have is the Airaid M.I.T. and plan to just stick with paper filters. I don't want an oiled or dry filter anymore. Hell I think going from 87 to 89 octane gas did better gains than a $350 intake kit.

If a paper filter that's not oiled or dry synthetic has the same or better flow than a so called "performance" filter then even with forced induction I'm sure you can use a paper filter, just maybe one with more surface area. So like an intake kit, but just a paper element filter instead of what they usually comes with which is an oiled or dry filter that's washable.

You are correct, the tune certainly has more of an effect. An intake can bring in more air, but the engine doesn't know what to do with it, until the computer tells it how to manage it. An intake can also cause rich/lean issues if not tuned properly.

As with our previous test, a stock run will be made, and the next runs with the intakes will all be on stock tuning.

Really glad to hear you guys will be doing this again! As some others mentioned, I am curious to see just the MIT tube.

I know you guys will do it right, you did great on your previous testing.

PS I defintley consider BBP as a credited source, probably more trustworthy than the big commercialized names.

• Like 1

I will also note, we do sell intakes, and all major performance parts, but we do NOT push any of them. We simply do this for curious consumers and customers. As car enthusiasts ourselves, we do realize there is a lot of hyped up items out there, that certainly do not live up to the press.

• Like 1

I am sure you realize that aftermarket exhausts are not performance enhancers either? They are even further down on the spectrum than an intake.

Not sure I agree there since the entire point of a quiet exhaust is choke points. $ for $ you will see better performance and mpg from a good cat back on these trucks. Mind you we are still talking less than 10hp at best. I am not saying every brand/year/model/etc but for k2 for sure.

But that is a great point instead of a Cai vs Cai shootout why not try a Cai vs cat back?

I would actually rather see this tbh.

• txab pinned this topic