In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2016+ GM INDEPENDENT Air Intake Testing- Black Bear Performance

Not sure I agree there since the entire point of a quiet exhaust is choke points. $ for $ you will see better performance and mpg from a good cat back on these trucks. Mind you we are still talking less than 10hp at best. I am not saying every brand/year/model/etc but for k2 for sure.

But that is a great point instead of a Cai vs Cai shootout why not try a Cai vs cat back?

I would actually rather see this tbh.

You paying? It is not easy to revert a catback. I still put my money on an intake providing more HP gains, the stock exhaust is already high flow.

If we really want to get down to it $ for $ a supercharger, headers or cam is the way to go. However, these are not simple bolt ons for a DIYer who wants to tinker in his garage.

I personally do not swap exhausts for performance, it is more a visual and audio change than anything. But to each his own.

Sent from my fone.

• Like 1
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about the trusty MIT tube?   It amazes me how much people are willing to pony up for an intake but won't spend 40 cents for about the same amount of power.

On the traceability of the tune.....I had the guys at the dealership check both mine, and a co-worker of mine's trucks....I have a 2015 1500 6.2 - 8 spd., my co-worker has a 2015 2500HD 6.0 - 6 spd.,

Promotional thread, not at all. Intent to sell *some* intake systems as a result, absolutely. We have compiled all of the data as of last month (this type of work takes time in between the daily pro

If we really want to get down to it $ for $ a supercharger, headers or cam is the way to go. However, these are not simple bolt ons for a DIYer who wants to tinker in his garage.

I personally do not swap exhausts for performance, it is more a visual and audio change than anything. But to each his own.

Sent from my fone.

That is certainly something I agree with. And the route I plan to go. Still putting a cat back on first as you say looks and sounds. Not expecting much for gain till I go harder. Plus I just want dual side outs in the meantime.

Besides it's good we all have opinions or else we would all be drones driving cookie cutter builds. Choices are the essence of life.

Not to hard to reinstall the stock exhaust if you do not chop it to remove. Mind you it is extra work but still just bolts on assuming the truck is not lowered or and needs fab.

Edited by Alpine Truck Life

Bolt on lt1's are seeing 500hp flywheel no problem

Not sure why it's so difficult for us when we have the exact same engine

IMO, perfect build would be the drop in forged pistons, supercharger, lt4 cam/pump/injectors, done

• Like 1

Jenna, thanks to you all for running new tests!!!!!!

How about Green filters, AFE ProDry S vs wert filters, etc.

Thanks again for your time AND money!

Not much difference between wet and dry.

Dibs on the used/discounted CAI that provides the most gains! Assuming it fits the '15 5.3L as well... :rollin:

In all seriousness, does a CAI setup add more power? Absolutely, look at the tests BB has done. The proof is in the pudding.

Now is that power you will actually feel and notice, likely not IMO. If you do, it is more than likely a placebo. For me, the only time I have ever noticed a 'increase' in true performance (actually feeling, no dyno tests done) is in my '05 1500 with a tune, CAI, and exhaust. I would be more interested in seeing a stock truck and a tuned truck go head to head (maybe it is already out there but I haven't looked).

Give credit where credit is due. The below statement says a lot about this company.

I will also note, we do sell intakes, and all major performance parts, but we do NOT push any of them. We simply do this for curious consumers and customers. As car enthusiasts ourselves, we do realize there is a lot of hyped up items out there, that certainly do not live up to the press.

Edited by SouthPawCO
  • Like 1

When I had my 2008 Corvette with the LS3 everyone said the same thing, there are no gains with a CAI. I got my hands on the Z06 intake tube and a Airaid CAI. On the same day we did 7 pulls on the car. 3 with the bone stock CAI (which had the Helmholtz chamber), 2 with the GM Z06 CAI and 2 with the Airaid CAI.

We used HPT to monitor the incoming air temps in order to keep them the same across all of the test. With the bone stock LS3 setup the car put down 379rwhp against a engine rating of 436hp. With the Z06 setup the car put down 383rwhp, air fuel leaned out some but to the better as under the stock setup it was rich under WOT. With the Airaid setup the car put down 389rwhp with the A/F being a little more lean once again but at this point it was spot on where it needed to be.

The only other CAI I wanted to test but didn't have access to was the ZR1 setup. The base LS3 intake and the Z06 both used the same Donaldson powercore air filter, only difference was the Z06 intake tube didn't have the Helmholtz chamber and it was slightly bigger and had smoother transitions versus the stock LS3 intake tube. The ZR1 intake tube was also slightly larger than the Z06 but it also used a different Donaldson powercore filter that was less restrictive versus the base/Z06 filter. I think the ZR1 intake tube would have netted similar gains as the Airaid and still maintained the stock look.

Any time you reduce air restriction and open up intake openings you should see gains. Gains will be more as you add more mods like headers and exhaust and even more so if you go with F/I down the road.

It will be interesting to see how Blackbears test results turn out for sure. Knowing them from dealing with them in the past I am sure the testing will be very thorough.

Edited by TJay74
  • Like 1

As a note of interest when you guys test that Denali you will find the air intake box on it is a lot more closed off from the front fender than the GMT900 trucks were. It is quite similar in open surface area to the GMT800 airboxes... whereas the GMT900 box was almost completely open to the fender of the truck. It would be interesting to see if between like what I did, the MIT tube and then cutting the box and fender opening does anything. I just found it odd that the airbox was so closed off.... coupled with my truck falling flat on the dyno at around 5200 rpm and then trending down instead of the rated 5600 rpm it was worth a try anyway. I should have just unhooked the airbox completely on the dyno and ran it open to see.

As a note of interest when you guys test that Denali you will find the air intake box on it is a lot more closed off from the front fender than the GMT900 trucks were. It is quite similar in open surface area to the GMT800 airboxes... whereas the GMT900 box was almost completely open to the fender of the truck. It would be interesting to see if between like what I did, the MIT tube and then cutting the box and fender opening does anything. I just found it odd that the airbox was so closed off.... coupled with my truck falling flat on the dyno at around 5200 rpm and then trending down instead of the rated 5600 rpm it was worth a try anyway. I should have just unhooked the airbox completely on the dyno and ran it open to see.

Any time frame of when we can expect results? Sorry if I missed it mentioned earlier!

Once I am ready to give up my Denali for a few days while they test. The guys also need to find time to devote to dyno testing.

I won't be hacking up my stock intake, as I will not be running an aftermarket intake after testing. But if it is as simple as just removing the box, the guys might be able to handle that.

Once I am ready to give up my Denali for a few days while they test. The guys also need to find time to devote to dyno testing.

I won't be hacking up my stock intake, as I will not be running an aftermarket intake after testing. But if it is as simple as just removing the box, the guys might be able to handle that.

There is a plastic plate with a foam seal that sandwiches between the fender and the actual airbox. If you remove that alone it would then allow basically the flow of the gmt900 setup once again and the fender even has the holes to accommodate but with the plate they are blocked. I just cut my 15 so as I could run the stock intake as I like the factory filters and have no desire for anything aftermarket anyway. I did this ages ago on my 05 as well. I likely will have to do my own dyno testing if I really want to know... But then again I don't care to pay for nothing lol. ec347d9b2dcaf01751f389c9fcb2c87e.jpg

That's stock

e6ad35e6ab3e59d9eca3e520dae65621.jpg

Stock opening and the lower opening is blocked by that plate.

758624408d0c257d31c8969f45cb559b.jpg

That's now.. Looks stock with the filter in it.

Sent from my PURE XL using Tapatalk

Edited by 1994Vmax

^ yup that's exactly what the GMT-800's looked like (and I did this mod to my 2005 Sierra), but I can't cut up my new 2016 1994V you sir love your mods.

Jennabear do you have a list of CAI's & filters your going to test so far?

Edited by camcamaro1991
  • txab pinned this topic