New 2017 Silverado & Silverado HD Changes List

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-44095400-1471362124_thumb.jpeg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
8-16-2016

GM's new ordering guide has kept us busy. We thought you would like a quick rundown of the 2017 Chevy Silverado updates and overview of what is new:

Silverado HD Alaskan Edition: Chevy's new Alaskan Edition will include the following: (RT4) 18" Black aluminum wheels, (QF2) LT275/65R18E 123/120Q maximum traction blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires, (VYU) Snow Plow Prep Package, (U01) Smoked Amber roof marker lamps, (CGN) spray-on bed liner and unique decal package

Silverado HD: 6.6 Duramax Diesel: Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8, B20-Diesel compatible. Details here.

Silverado HD Misc Changes:

- New Dealer Installed Options include LPO, Off-road assist steps, LPO, Black Bow-Tie Emblems, LPO, Chrome recovery hooks, LPO, Sport bar

- Capless Fuel Fill

- New Colors include Pepperdust Metallic and Graphite Metallic

Silverado 1500: New Engine L8B: 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 BAS3 with Active Fuel Management, Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing (355 hp [265 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 383 lb-ft of torque [518 Nm] @ 4100 rpm)

Silverado 1500 eAssist (California Only): LT eAssist Package, includes (L8B) 5.3L V8 BAS3 engine, (M5X) 8 speed automatic BAS+ transmission, (C5Z) 7,200 lbs. GVWR, (UF2) LED Lighting, cargo box and (5JY) soft-folding tonneau cover, LPO

Silverado 1500 Misc:

- Active aero shutters, front

- Capless Fuel Fill (Limited trims)

- Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking: Included and only available with (Y86) Enhanced Driver Alert Package.

- LPO, All-weather floor liner, (dealer-installed)

- New Colors, same as HD above

Hmmm, I wonder what's different about the new L8B 5.3L compared to the others.

BAS3 its the eAssist Silverado engine. Comes with M5T 8L90 which is eAssist capable.

Silverado 1500 eAssist (California Only): LT eAssist Package, includes (L8B) 5.3L V8 BAS3 engine, (M5X) 8 speed automatic BAS+ transmission, (C5Z) 7,200 lbs. GVWR, (UF2) LED Lighting, cargo box and (5JY) soft-folding tonneau cover, LPO

I see. Is the eAssist GM's start/stop technology?

Hybrid. Think the Chevy Malibu Hybrid (battery pack, electric motor, etc.). Start/Stop would be say, the regular 2016/17 Malibu with the 1.5L Turbo. Big ol' AGM battery, much stronger starter motor, etc.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silverado/2016.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/feb/0225-silverado-eAssist.html

DETROIT – Chevrolet announced today that a select number of 2016 Chevrolet Silverados will be offered with eAssist technology. The new mild-hybrid electrical system leverages many of the technologies and components from Chevrolet’s lineup of innovative electric vehicles – including battery cells from the Malibu Hybrid and software controls developed for the Volt. As a result, Chevrolet can deliver a low-volume, affordably priced hybrid pickup that delivers uncompromised capability and up to 13 percent better fuel economy in city driving.

“Silverado already leads the full-size truck segment in V8 fuel economy,” said Sandor Piszar, marketing director for Chevrolet Trucks. “For customers and small-business owners who use their trucks for more urban driving, the addition of eAssist can further reduce their fuel costs without sacrificing the utility they expect in a full-size truck.”

The compact, lightweight system increases curb weight by approximately 100 pounds, and delivers an additional 13 hp and 44 lb-ft of torque from the electric motor.

The eAssist propulsion system, including the 8-speed automatic transmission, will be a $500 premium over a comparably equipped two-wheel drive Silverado 1500 crew cab in 1LT trim...

...Power for the eAssist system is supplied by a 24-cell, air-cooled 0.45 kWh lithium-ion battery pack located under the center console (or front bench seat) that uses the same battery cells as the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid. It weighs nearly 15 percent less than the previous generation eAssist system, yet provides up to 15 kW of power to the electric motor.

A reengineered power inverter module is now liquid cooled and moved underhood for improved packaging and performance. The software used to control the battery system is based off a modified version of the software for the Chevrolet Volt.

The compact induction motor, located on the accessory drive, provides peak regen capability of 15kW resulting from advanced software controls based off those used in the Volt. The motor, which features a stator design leveraged from the Volt and Malibu Hybrid, acts like an electric torque booster, providing up to 44 lb.-ft. (60 Nm) and up to 13 hp (9.7 kW) of additional boost in high-load situations.

2016 was the debut year California only. Looks like 2017 is Cali. only for now as well.

Hybrid. Think the Chevy Malibu Hybrid (battery pack, electric motor, etc.). Start/Stop would be say, the regular 2016/17 Malibu with the 1.5L Turbo. Big ol' AGM battery, much stronger starter motor, etc.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silverado/2016.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/feb/0225-silverado-eAssist.html

2016 was the debut year California only. Looks like 2017 is Cali. only for now as well.

Ohh okay. Good info.

Seems to me that backwards braking assist would be better than foward, especially at low speed. Trucks are known for backing into things in parking lots etc.

Also nice that the eAssist option is only a $500 add-on. Wonder why they don't offer it everywhere? Especially if it does what the older system did and provide decent A/C output too.

What about multi camera views ? Needed for gooseneck backing

They already have that with camera trailering package but only with camper style mirrors .... I heard there gonna make it avaliable with the small mirrors ... I hope so

Here's my wish list.

-35 gal gas tank option.

-constant digital display next to V8/V4 display indicating the gear the tranny is in.

-little more V8 growl from 6.2L Exhaust system, especially when getting into throttle. Afterall, it is a V8...

As these things get more and more complex, I get less and less interested. I'm the guy that will get stuck working on it when the warranty ends. No thank you.

It's a sharp looker, I must say, but I'll never own one.

Aero shutters? No idea. Never heard of eAssist either until 15HDriver posted.

I'd have no use for that system. I can just imagine the horror show of trying to get a wiring diagram and troubleshooting info over the net. I'd bet GM keeps that info locked up tight. Again, a big NO THANKS.

I think there version of aero shutters are what dodge uses now in the 1500 it opens and closes the air flow to the grill only plus I see to it is like on my gmc I get a lot of leaves in my grill and a few times found a died bird in there but the openings on the gmc are bigger then the Chevy

Archived