2017 L5P Duramax horsepower/torque? Here's our guess�!

Zane

My question is, can they break 1,000 ft. lbs. without breaking the driveline at 12k miles? Remains to be seen.

Then there's the emission crap. Alot of good all that torque does when the truck is up on a lift at the local dealer ...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to trade up to a diesel to pull my camper with but im just too scared of the long term reliability thing. Seems every diesel put out since 2008 has had big time issues with the def and emissions junk. The best ones to get for longevity seem to be the 2006-2007 duramax. Why cant they get that kind of long term reliability out of these new ones ? I dont want to have to buy a brand new truck and then have to "delete" all kinds of stuff just so its reliable. Shouldnt be that way. Should be reliable right off the lot.

These trucks are designed with these emissions controls. Sure early on there were problems, but what are you speaking of now? Go delete a Ford 6.7 and run any "hot" tune, you'll need a new block within 150K miles. Deleting these newer trucks does not make them more reliable.

That is absolutely false. Yes, hotrodding them will burn them up faster, but deleting useless emission garbage will only ensure reliability.

Heat is the enemy. What does regen do? Dumps fuel unnecessarily into the engine, and burns it in the exhaust - that generates alot of it. Same with the EGR. Hot exhaust going back into an engine you're trying to cool.

When the rest of the world starts abiding by the standards that US companies are forced to comply with, then maybe I'll jump on the "green" bandwagon. Until then, it's just another way to cost you more money. Repairs, DEF, inspections, and taxes for the government to push this crap down all our throats.

GM gave up on hd years ago. If it was not for the halftons , GM trucks would be dead. I just don't see 1000lb ,Merck I don't even see 900.

Ford and dodge dominate the hd category

COBoy- Lots of us with the duramax are having issues with the DEF, DPF and EGR systems. It's the weak point on GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks. While my 2008 Duramax had 0 issues in the 60,000 miles I owned it since practically new, my 2012 has had to have the DEF system replaced, and the DPF is pretty much clogged up because the previous owner who used the truck for work and up in the oil fields couldn't get it out of the oil fields to do a 30 min drive at 55+ MPH all the time to allow the DPF regen to complete. I call that a major flaw on GM's part. Not everyone uses a diesel to tow on the highway every day non-stop. GM's DPF is designed so that it will only regen under specific conditions that have to be met. If they are not met- then all kinds of problems occur. Clogging of the DPF being one of them. I've got 70,000 miles on my truck right now. And while GM did extend the emissions warranty because of so many emissions issues on the diesels, I'm being told that the fact that my truck has such high engine hours and so few miles means my truck saw a lot of idling in its previous life and GM will likely not warranty it as a result, because it did not undergo proper regens. So I guess people who work in the back country or have to idle their trucks a long time (say to keep warm in the ice cold winter while working in the backwoods, perhaps?) are out of luck and should have instead gone with gas motors, only no one really knew it was going to be an issue, they figured hey.. here is a nice Diesel truck that can get done the work I need, should have superior reliability, and I don't have to think anything else of it. Ah well. As I always say, there are no guarantees in life, there is just life.

COBoy- Lots of us with the duramax are having issues with the DEF, DPF and EGR systems. It's the weak point on GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks. While my 2008 Duramax had 0 issues in the 60,000 miles I owned it since practically new, my 2012 has had to have the DEF system replaced, and the DPF is pretty much clogged up because the previous owner who used the truck for work and up in the oil fields couldn't get it out of the oil fields to do a 30 min drive at 55+ MPH all the time to allow the DPF regen to complete. I call that a major flaw on GM's part. Not everyone uses a diesel to tow on the highway every day non-stop. GM's DPF is designed so that it will only regen under specific conditions that have to be met. If they are not met- then all kinds of problems occur. Clogging of the DPF being one of them. I've got 70,000 miles on my truck right now. And while GM did extend the emissions warranty because of so many emissions issues on the diesels, I'm being told that the fact that my truck has such high engine hours and so few miles means my truck saw a lot of idling in its previous life and GM will likely not warranty it as a result, because it did not undergo proper regens. So I guess people who work in the back country or have to idle their trucks a long time (say to keep warm in the ice cold winter while working in the backwoods, perhaps?) are out of luck and should have instead gone with gas motors, only no one really knew it was going to be an issue, they figured hey.. here is a nice Diesel truck that can get done the work I need, should have superior reliability, and I don't have to think anything else of it. Ah well. As I always say, there are no guarantees in life, there is just life.

This right here ^^

Exactly why im scared to buy a new one. I only have 6 a mile drive to work. No way would i meet the "regen" time just going that far and back 4 days a week. These trucks should be just as reliable as a gas one for the crazy amount of money they charge. How about a 10 year 200k power train and emissions warranty. You know.... actually stand behind that price tag. Id buy one then. But i know that will never happen. So the torque and power numbers look awesome, and im sure it can pull the house off the foundation but GM doesnt have these new ones where they need to be as far as reliability. Neither does Ford for that matter. I want the reliability of a 2006 duramax with the new power numbers. I guess thats way too much to ask.

My ol' man has an '09 2500HD he bought new. Seemed like every time he loaded up the boat and headed down the Cape, the thing would go into limp-mode in the middle of the highway. Every time, it had to go to the dealer to get "reset" ... at $200 a whack. Guess the $40,000 he paid for the thing wasn't enough for GM.

They managed to extort another $1,800 out of him before we insisted he take it to a private garage. We junked the exhaust for an older model system without the stupid DPF, and had it retuned. Gained 3 mpg and a TON of power, and hasn't been to the dealer since.

He's done, I'm done. Hope it was worth the $1,800, GM. After all the issues with my truck, and then this, I'll install Dorman aftermarket junk on either one before I give GM another nickel.

I wish I had the option to take the emissions crap off, but I don't. I live in a county that requires emissions testing for Diesels every 2 years and the stuff has to be on there. They hook up the OBDII to make sure nothing has been changed for emissions programming as well. Has to be factory.

It really needs to be more than a silly numbers game for GM. They have completely fallen behind in terms of options and features.

I love my LMM but if you are buying a new $60k++++ truck and go strictly for brand loyalty, you're nuts. Whenever I do decide to upgrade my truck, I will certainly look at and test drive all 3 before making a decision. About the only thing Chevy has going for itself at this point is the fact of the very long reliable combination of the Duramax/ Allison that other than emissions crap and performance improvements, hasn't really changed. I just bought my dad a brand new 2500 Denali Duramax and it's a very nice truck, but Ford is just so far ahead on options and features. Now with the 17, they are miles ahead. I couldn't even get heated rear seats or rear HVAC vents in a $70k truck. Hell, the 15's are the first GM HD's with even power folding mirrors. Ford has had power fold and extend for like 6 or 7 years. GM had better come out with something great for the 17's and it better be much more than just stupid power numbers. Things I have seen in a couple YouTube videos on the Ford 17's that are pretty badass that GM needs to take note of:

- 360 degree cameras with birds eye view

- trailer camera

- trailer TPMS

- pano sun roof

- rear AC

- heated rear seats

- supplemental heater for quick cab heat

- adaptive cruise that will even engage the trailer brakes if needed

- 400w inverter (Chevy's 125w or whatever it is struggles with my laptop)

- trailer reverse guidance (not needed for me but I would love if I could have my fiancé back up our 43' Donzi on her own)

- adaptive steering

- trailer blind spot detection

- 6 up fitter switches

- collision brake support that even engages trailer brakes if you don't react in time

- auto high beam headlights

- auto wipers

- integrated tailgate step

- automatic retracting running boards

That's all I can think of at the moment. I think we can all agree that the Duramax is the most proven of the 3, but these innovative features are what sell the vast majority of HD trucks. Most people don't give a crap what brand it is, they want the best options available that add convenience, safety, and cool factor

That's all I can think of at the moment. I think we can all agree that the Duramax is the most proven of the 3, but these innovative features are what sell the vast majority of HD trucks. Most people don't give a crap what brand it is, they want the best options available that add convenience, safety, and cool factor

Cutout that text o its not a giant bubble. I agree with everything you say except for the tailgate step. Chevy has the whole cornerstep thing which I quite like on my 1500. I don't have any issue with that. Now it is 2016 and people like their driver aids and gimmicks that may or may not be used. We all spend our money on these super high end superlux vehicles because they have these cool features for the most part. Otherwise people would only be buying the base model trucks. Brand loyalty doesn't seem to exist as much now as it did before. Except for those biased against a country's car. e.g. I've always had bias against German vehicles.

Can't blame you there. The first time I ever heard of a "triple square" was 6 months ago, when I had to buy a set to do brakes on my buddy's daughter's VW. Why can't they just use a normal hex, or allen? Then the leaky vacuum pump was the icing on the cake. Puking oil everywhere - service manual states to yank the transmission to remove the unit as an assembly. Screw that. I removed the cover and sealed it up. Worked great, and only an hour of labor tops.

Yep - German cars for ya! :nonod:

Can't blame you there. The first time I ever heard of a "triple square" was 6 months ago, when I had to buy a set to do brakes on my buddy's daughter's VW. Why can't they just use a normal hex, or allen? Then the leaky vacuum pump was the icing on the cake. Puking oil everywhere - service manual states to yank the transmission to remove the unit as an assembly. Screw that. I removed the cover and sealed it up. Worked great, and only an hour of labor tops.

Yep - German cars for ya! :nonod:

It's not just that. My experience and my family's experience is that once they go out of warranty, everything goes to hell and back. Although can't say I'm having a lot of great luck with my silverado.

One of my buddies just bought a VW for his wife - said the dealership experience was hands-down THE WORST he's ever experienced. His wife drove 45 minutes out there to drop keys off, then a day or so later came by with the car ... and they have no idea where the keys are. Totally incompetent. They pulled the same thing twice. Says the warranty isn't even worth the aggravation. He'll have a private garage fix it next time.

I'll never buy one, because I'm the one who gets stuck fixing all this modern throwaway crap. Rolling Tupperware.

lol

You'll mostly find hex or allen on your truck.

Just make sure that you use the right tool. Metric or SAE.

so long

j-ten-ner

I still have my 3/8" allen from doing brakes on my '85 Monte. :thumbs:

Archived