2017 L5P Duramax horsepower/torque? Here's our guess�!

Zane

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The torque really only feels amazing when you have a massively heavy trailer behind you and the truck is pulling it up the hill just fine. That's when the diesel earns its money back. Commuting? Might as well get a gas.

Exactly.

Some boys drive a diesel for the same reason girls wear high heels. It is fashion.

so long

j-ten-ner

That brings me to another question...

Soon I'll use my truck for work and for commuting/personal use.

At work I have to pull trailers up to 6000lbs. But I also wanna have the comfort and size of a half ton truck beside the work.

So where can I find the specs for the 2018 Silverado 1500 4.5l Duramax?

:)

so long

j-ten-ner

That brings me to another question...

So where can I find the specs for the 2018 Silverado 1500 4.5l Duramax?

You'll be able to find those specs a year or two after Ford releases its specs for the 2018 F-150 with the 3.0L "Lion" turbodiesel V6, which apparently is happening. I doubt the D-max will be 4.5L, though.

There is rumor Toyota will add a version of the 5.0L Cummins V8 to the Tundra in the next year or two. After its failure in the Nissan, I don't see why....but I wouldn't want either truck anyway.

Meanwhile, GM will continue bragging rights on the only mid-size diesel available until Nissan releases the next-gen Frontier or Ford brings back the Ranger.

You'll be able to find those specs a year or two after Ford releases its specs for the 2018 F-150 with the 3.0L "Lion" turbodiesel V6, which apparently is happening. I doubt the D-max will be 4.5L, though.

There is rumor Toyota will add a version of the 5.0L Cummins V8 to the Tundra in the next year or two. After its failure in the Nissan, I don't see why....but I wouldn't want either truck anyway.

Meanwhile, GM will continue bragging rights on the only mid-size diesel available until Nissan releases the next-gen Frontier or Ford brings back the Ranger.

As it looks like now.....New L5P is 38% quieter than previous gen! Problem solved now quieter than Ford? Looks like GM is clearly the diesel leader now....Please tell me FERD guy what other than the 250 does ford drop a diesel in for North America? Thanks from a GM guy

As it looks like now.....New L5P is 38% quieter than previous gen! Problem solved now quieter than Ford? Looks like GM is clearly the diesel leader now....Please tell me FERD guy what other than the 250 does ford drop a diesel in for North America? Thanks from a GM guy

Ford offers the 6.7L diesel in the F-250, 350, and 450 pickups; a derated commercial version in the 450, 550, 650, and 750 chassis cabs. They also currently offer the 3.2L inline-5 mini-Powerstroke in the full-size Transit vans. As I mentioned, they are currently testing the 3.0L V6 diesel (developed for Land Rover when Ford owned them, by Ford) in the F-150. It is predicted this engine will be available in the F-150 in 2018.

As to the LP5, it does look like a great engine. I'm very impressed with the new triple-piston HPFP which will deliver more volume albeit at slightly lower pressure. GM is now using the Ford-style connecting rod with offset big-end caps; the Duramax connecting rod looks thicker than the Ford version although looks could be deceiving since the Duramax has a shorter stroke than the Ford. I love GM's new boost-operated oil separator. When the engine is working it's hardest under heavy boost, the pressure will pull oil out of the PCV system and not attempt to re-inject carbon-building soot. I'm surprised GM put so much effort into insulating the exhaust system from the manifolds back to the turbo when it seems Ford's design (originally a GM design) of reverse-flow heads is much simpler and more beneficial. I wish GM had done away with the bridged valve design, but at the same time they haven't seemed to cause too many problems for them. I also wonder why GM did not switch to a CGI block, which is lighter and stronger than cast iron. GM's dual DOC system on the new engine is very impressive. The first DOC is right at the end of the turbo downpipe for maximum heat. This heat will burn off some soot naturally, extending the intervals between active regens. The second DOC is at the DPF - combined with the 9th injector design, it should require less diesel to accomplish a regen than the Ford design. Overall, it looks excellent.

Ford offers the 6.7L diesel in the F-250, 350, and 450 pickups; a derated commercial version in the 450, 550, 650, and 750 chassis cabs. They also currently offer the 3.2L inline-5 mini-Powerstroke in the full-size Transit vans. As I mentioned, they are currently testing the 3.0L V6 diesel (developed for Land Rover when Ford owned them, by Ford) in the F-150. It is predicted this engine will be available in the F-150 in 2018.

As to the LP5, it does look like a great engine. I'm very impressed with the new triple-piston HPFP which will deliver more volume albeit at slightly lower pressure. GM is now using the Ford-style connecting rod with offset big-end caps; the Duramax connecting rod looks thicker than the Ford version although looks could be deceiving since the Duramax has a shorter stroke than the Ford. I love GM's new boost-operated oil separator. When the engine is working it's hardest under heavy boost, the pressure will pull oil out of the PCV system and not attempt to re-inject carbon-building soot. I'm surprised GM put so much effort into insulating the exhaust system from the manifolds back to the turbo when it seems Ford's design (originally a GM design) of reverse-flow heads is much simpler and more beneficial. I wish GM had done away with the bridged valve design, but at the same time they haven't seemed to cause too many problems for them. I also wonder why GM did not switch to a CGI block, which is lighter and stronger than cast iron. GM's dual DOC system on the new engine is very impressive. The first DOC is right at the end of the turbo downpipe for maximum heat. This heat will burn off some soot naturally, extending the intervals between active regens. The second DOC is at the DPF - combined with the 9th injector design, it should require less diesel to accomplish a regen than the Ford design. Overall, it looks excellent.

Yes, I am aware of the 6.7 being used in 250's and up. Thought maybe transit connect not sure though. So it seems the 3.0 maybe, maybe not 2018? When GM shelved the 4.5l Duramax it was very far along and they stated it can be resurrected and finished rather quickly.

CGI would have been nice but costly! The Iron Blocks can dissipate heat twice as fast than CGI and saving 10% in weight for heat retaining block under heavy load does not make much sense for saving the hundreds of millions to change everything over for CGI tooling on up....though you can tool it faster CGI. Ido like the sucking oil out of the PCV system under heavy load very NICE! Not sure about connecting rods pictures can make me look fat too? Insulating from Manifolds back to the turbos it's all about controlling the temperature "cool in this aspect Ford looks silly on that way over thought/under thought Ford decision. Yes, it appears that it will use less DEF. Very Nice Rig!

Yes, I am aware of the 6.7 being used in 250's and up. Thought maybe transit connect not sure though. So it seems the 3.0 maybe, maybe not 2018? When GM shelved the 4.5l Duramax it was very far along and they stated it can be resurrected and finished rather quickly.

CGI would have been nice but costly! The Iron Blocks can dissipate heat twice as fast than CGI and saving 10% in weight for heat retaining block under heavy load does not make much sense for saving the hundreds of millions to change everything over for CGI tooling on up....though you can tool it faster CGI. Ido like the sucking oil out of the PCV system under heavy load very NICE! Not sure about connecting rods pictures can make me look fat too? Insulating from Manifolds back to the turbos it's all about controlling the temperature "cool in this aspect Ford looks silly on that way over thought/under thought Ford decision. Yes, it appears that it will use less DEF. Very Nice Rig!

The 4.5L Duramax won't meet current emissions standards and GM has stated it would be difficult to make that engine meet the standard now since it was not designed with aftertreatments in mind. Could be done, but they would probably start clean-sheet. 4.5L would probably use too much fuel compared to the other smaller engines, as well...even though it would be more powerful.

The 4.5L Duramax used the same "hot-vee" turbo location and reverse flow design Ford uses in the 6.7L. The closer the turbo is to the exhaust valves in the head, the better. The reason is heat loss. The hotter the exhaust entering the turbo, the more thermal expansion will occur which provides more boost. On top of that, the exhaust stream will be hotter exiting the turbo, meaning the DOC and DPF will be hotter for more passive regens. This is why GM spent so much effort using double-walled exhaust plumbing and inconel instead of stainless steel - to retain heat. What they have done will surely help, but their own design of a central pedestal mounted turbocharger makes more sense...because even if they can retain heat, the long exhaust manifolds mean exhaust pressures into the turbo will be less: the friction of hot exhaust flowing against the manifold walls will slow it down. Lag will also naturally be present.

I'm not sure the new Duramax will use less DEF, but it will probably regenerate less than before...or at the very least, use less diesel when it does regenerate thanks to the double DOCs and strategic location of 9th injector. That is a system I wished Ford used but they seem set on using the post-injection / off-stroke method.

Oh well, its a great engine. Can't wait to read the full tests on this setup.

You know Diesels pretty well it seems. I think GM has gained tremendously with diesels since First DMAX's. I found it comical that over the years DODGE and Ford always was touting higher numbers bigger torque etc. just to stay a smidge better than the LML. So it tells me the DMAX had the real deal and others were just trying to beat with huge numbers? I am sure this one is the REAL DEAL? I love Diesels, Hate the maintenance though.........

I hope for the sake of folks shelling out $60 LARGE + for one that there aren't any surprises, like with the first D-maxes. Injectors, hit or miss cooling system meltdown in summer, water pumps, & air in the lines, just to name a few ... then as they age, wiring gremlins under the fuse panel, chaffed wires, Allison limp mode, etc, etc..

Then there's the rust ...

Maybe they'll have their shit together on this one? We'll see.

Archived