Longevity of 5.3L or 6.2L Ecotec?

I've been thinking lately about trading up to a 2500HD with the 6.0L because I really want to keep a truck for awhile and after reading about the "choking" of the direct injection engine and lifters going out with the cylinder deactivation AFM it would be nice to have a proven reliable push rod engine of the 6.0L. What are everyone else's thoughts? Are there any high mileage 1500's out there? I do run an elite catch can on my truck now but what a pain in the winter time to empty everyday. I don't know what to think......oh by the way I own a 2014 GMC 5.3L truck and so far has been great...

There was a guy that posted here that was looking at a used 2014 with over 100K on it, here it is:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/187617-buy-2014-gmc-slt-z71-with-132k-miles/

I dont want to open the catch can of worms but pulling the intake and cleaning out the ports after 100K wouldnt be that bad of a job. AFM stuff is a concern, but so would the electronic oil pump and cam phaser. Then there is all the DI stuff lol.

That along with the LED headlamps and tailights and all the other electronics I'm starting to scare myself when it gets out of warranty :)

I work with a guy who has a 2014 Silverado with a 5.3 w/50,000 miles on it does nothing but drive the piss out of it. He has had 0 problems. I don't even know if he changes the oil when he should. I think people get a little crazy with the whole catch can thing. I'm just going drive mine and change the oil and I think it will be fine.

I dont really know the differences between 6.2 and 5.3, but the 6.2 has oil squiters, forged rods and even a forged crank.

The important parts seem like they are very well designed, and building small block v8's isn't exactly new territory for GM. I'd say the actual long block should last a very long time unless the carbon buildup causes them to start dropping valves.

Now whether the fuel injection components stand the test of time, we will have to wait. But i think we can all agree vortec 5.7 was a reliable engine and the fuel system on that thing was a pain in the ass.

I've been thinking lately about trading up to a 2500HD with the 6.0L because I really want to keep a truck for awhile and after reading about the "choking" of the direct injection engine and lifters going out with the cylinder deactivation AFM it would be nice to have a proven reliable push rod engine of the 6.0L.

The 5.3 and 6.2 are both pushrod engines, so I'm not sure what you mean there? The fords are OHC engines and that was one reason i went back to GM this time.

Personally, I'm not and I don't think you should be too concerned. My truck has low miles yet, but I've pulled heavy with it over the past 2 camping seasons now and it's been rock solid reliable. My brother is pushing 50k on his 14 now and it's been good.

If you need the capability of a 2500 truck, then by all means trade up, but I wouldn't do it simply out of concern over these new engines. All OEMs are building things more and more complex, so i also understand the concern once warranty coverage ends. Depending on what trim 2500 you'd select, there's a ton of electronics on it as well.

That's my main concern to be honest, electronic failures as opposed to mechanical ones with these trucks. Just my .02. Good luck in your decision

I wouldn't worry about any of the big three engines. All platforms are great right now.

My wife has the 6.2l in her Denali, and what I would give to have that engine available for my truck.

Buy the truck you need. For what I need out of a truck..snow plowing, hauling..and not towing..that is what dictates my choice.

That along with the LED headlamps and tailights and all the other electronics I'm starting to scare myself when it gets out of warranty :)

What is the issue with the LED lights? Is there some flaw with those on the 2016+ models? I'm curious. As you might know, I'm not a big fan of automakers putting in these crazy bright light kits these days. Of course it's better than dull lights, but still. Electronics are going to be a concern in any modern vehicle.

I have no concerns whatsoever with GM engines and transmissions; where my concern is regarding any GM product in respect to longevity is the electronics. Also the HVAC system. My parents have only owned GMs since I was a kid and everything else wore out on their cars but the components that make them drive, they keep their cars well over 200K and that's about 20 years for them.

Seems weird people are just now rolling around with 50k on their 14s. I have 40k on my 15 so there must be some vehicles out there with more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the issue with the LED lights? Is there some flaw with those on the 2016+ models? I'm curious. As you might know, I'm not a big fan of automakers putting in these crazy bright light kits these days. Of course it's better than dull lights, but still. Electronics are going to be a concern in any modern vehicle.

No issues, they work great. Just more expensive to replace down the road if they fail out of warranty than a 1.00 tail light bulb or 10.00 halogen headlight bulb like my old 2015 Z71 had.

Archived