Grumpy Bears 2015 Silverado 2WD

Grumpy Bear

Wife isn't but hang on and fire up the grill,  I'll be right over. Nice house BTW. :thumbs:

Just caught the response, don’t know why. Wrong pic too was supposed to be out the back doorstep, getting old I guess. House was brown recent color change. Wife’s idea. On a two year plan towards moving to a smaller house on back of property and selling this one. Too much yard work.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I not a builder. Could have to do with the Texas heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess, just that the porch is open to the outside underneath and the heat isn't trapped like in the attic.   Ridge vents and soffit vents are the way to go for the main roof line.  It made a huge difference in our house.

I guess, just that the porch is open to the outside underneath and the heat isn't trapped like in the attic.   Ridge vents and soffit vents are the way to go for the main roof line.  It made a huge difference in our house.

When I put a roof on 20 years ago the house had those round spinning vents. They put ridge vents on. Maybe those on the porch were just to match the original vents. There’s no craw space there.

16 hours ago, KARNUT said:

When I put a roof on 20 years ago the house had those round spinning vents. They put ridge vents on. Maybe those on the porch were just to match the original vents. There’s no craw space there.

And I thought I was OCD :lol:

So after back to back 5" snowfalls followed by a  -30 F week we get hammered by two days of rain and 40 F temperatures to melt the 2 feet of total winter accumulation. Wait ground is a rock so no place to sink into. Water up to the bumpers...then....an ice storm with enough accumulation to take out power lines. Baby - baby. Are we having fun yet? 

As bad as that sounds and feels, looks like much of the lower 48 is hammered worse than northern Illinois. I feel blessed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there is a week of the month left but I'm calling this month and the winter quarter done. Haven't filled up since 1/11 and the forecast for next few days is freezing rain. They will just be adding to the salt coating and I have no expectations the roads will be clear of it anytime soon. Pepper doesn't get salt on her shoes. 

There isn't a February economy number to report but there is the 2018 winter quarter. 

Previous two year average was 25.1 mpg for December through February. Both years within tenths individually. 

Current winter quarter:  26.1 mpg,  a 4% increase. The results of  0W20 v 5W20.

Results rest on 3 years of data. 24 fill ups. 9800 miles and 387 gallons of fuel. 25.3 mpg life time winter quarter average.

Best tank for season 28.3 mpg, worst 22.9 mpg.

Current LIFE TIME AVERAGE 27.1 mpg 

• Like 2

Very nicely done! I can see why GM went to 0W-20 in the Gen V SBC. 4% is big news when you've got to meet CAFE numbers. 

As with most years, February is when the ugly part of winter shows up. With the subzero weather and absolutely brutal headwinds during travel, Clyde's numbers are bouncing between 15 and 18 mpg per tank. Sigh. :shakehead:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just started to look into doing some pumpkin smashing. I've wanted to install an Eaton Truetrac. Thing is to do this right I will need to replace the ring and pinion as well. If I'm going to do that then it seems fitting to fiddle with the gearing. Yes, lower and yes that will give back some efficiency. I have some to spare. So...what would I like to accomplish? What are my patterns. What are my expectations? What is Peppers future? 

Not much chance I will decide on a whole new driving style and my favorite speed is 55 mph and my favorite roads are the back roads. Factory converter has a stall of a tested 1520 rpm. That has to figure into it. I know spinning the motor faster, even a few hundred rpm will increase heat. That has to figure into it as well. She is getting new shoes sooner than later. There's that. 

New cover? Dutchman or Mosser axles? Steel driveshaft? Trans tune? Where will this end? Will it even start?

Stock tire and a 3.90 gear locks up the converter right around 55 mph. So does a 3.73 and a 245 section 70R-17. In both sizes I can source tires 3 to 5 pounds each lighter. Both of those lower converter clutch wear and reduce slip heat. And both would provide a nice boost in acceleration. (I'm old, not dead! :lol: ) 3.42 would keep the AFM lit more and against higher loads of wind and grade with as little as a 50 rpm increase. 

I could also leave it as is and put my efforts towards the interior. Oh what to do.... 

• Like 1

I'm glad I got over the tinker bug.

I thought of some mods for a while but decided against it.

I'm happy with my stock truck.

Besides the money and the time to do mods I can do other things, like go fishing or sit on my rump.

What ever you decide Good Luck with it.

:)

• Thanks 1