In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
tenscourts

Taller Tires Rubbing Upper Control Arms

Leveling kits do change the geometry but where this is more prevalent is with 305s and such. I've never heard of a tire that narrow hitting, but you do have a newer gen and people are notorious for claiming their setups don't rub when they actually do. Your cheapest fix is small wheel spacers.

Edited by Blackout07

I’m dealing with this same thing right now. 2018 with stamped steel UCA’s, and new 275-60/20 tires are rubbing pretty bad. I don’t want to buy new wheels, but also can’t stand the rub. Did anyone ever find an aftermarket UCa that fixes the issue?

I gave up. I went back to 275-55/20. From almost everything I’ve read, a 275-60/20 should fit with a 1.5 in level, but I can confirm for anyone else reading, it absolutely doesn’t with the stamped steel control arms. I’m just going to live with smaller tires than I wanted. I couldn’t stand the rubbing on a brand new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this same issue when going from 265/70/17 tires to 285/70/17 AT3Ws which run a little big. I put 1/4in spacers in the front to see if that fixed the problem and it did. I then contacted BORA for a set of wheels and hub centric ones that will be 10mm at their reccomendation. I'll make a post after because it seems there's not a ton of info on this problem.

I had this same issue when going from 265/70/17 tires to 285/70/17 AT3Ws which run a little big. I put 1/4in spacers in the front to see if that fixed the problem and it did. I then contacted BORA for a set of wheels and hub centric ones that will be 10mm at their reccomendation. I'll make a post after because it seems there's not a ton of info on this problem.

Thank you! I was actually just looking at bora. I’ve read conflicting info on here, some say you have to go with a 1.75 inch spacer without cutting the stock lugs, which I don’t want to do, but others say the stock rims have a pocket on the back that allows a smaller 1 inch spacer. Please let me know what you find!

Wait, I’m just realizing that 10mm is essentially .4 inches. So these wouldn’t have their own lug bolt posts right? I didn’t realize bora made them like that

6 hours ago, wepiii said:

Wait, I’m just realizing that 10mm is essentially .4 inches. So these wouldn’t have their own lug bolt posts right? I didn’t realize bora made them like that

They do not have their own lugs, I asked the guys over at BORA and they said 10mm will be perfectly safe over stock studs. The only caveat is you have to special order them are $35ea + shipping and they say it takes 3-4 weeks to make them. I have heard of the pockets too, I thought I read that it was on the 20" wheels, but I didn't honestly look on my 17s. I would recommend calling them if you want to order because they'll get all the info for your center bore and hub diameter.

Any idea how to find my center bore and hub diameter? 

I’m thinking of just doing the 1.75 inch ones. I don’t mind the look of the tires being a little wider, but my main concern at that length is moving the rub away from the uca but on to something else. I may just buy a really cheap 1.75 spacer from eBay just to fit and make sure I don’t have any problems, and then order the bora ones. 

Just heard back from someone else in a different thread, the 1.75 does cause rub on the fender. I had been against a “spacer” and was wanting to do a “adapter” (spacer with separate lugs, but I wasn’t aware they could custom make them. I can’t imagine how a 10mm spacer could cause any issues. Hopefully that works, keep me posted.

Yea 1.75" is a bit of a bump although is it on the fender or just the liner? And I think an adapter is if you want to change number of lugs/pattern. Spacer is to move it out. BORA will tell you what size to get for your truck and the wheels. Mine should be here on the 22nd but so far the rough country 1/4" have been fine no vibration and no lug-tightness issues.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:57 PM, wepiii said:

I gave up. I went back to 275-55/20. From almost everything I’ve read, a 275-60/20 should fit with a 1.5 in level, but I can confirm for anyone else reading, it absolutely doesn’t with the stamped steel control arms. I’m just going to live with smaller tires than I wanted. I couldn’t stand the rubbing on a brand new truck.

Just installed Bilstein 5100 highest setting in the front and 5160 in the rears.  Moved from 275 55r20 to 275 60r20 as well, on stock wheels.  Paired it with Camburg tubular UCAs.  Didn't notice rub until today when I checked to see how much clearance I had on the well liners.  Clear with about an inch, but then I see scuffs on the control arms.  Only time it happens is probably turning / backing into parking spots, but it is still annoying.  I researched a lot before choosing this level and tire combo and was hoping for no rub. Rubbing on the liner is an easy fix, but this control arm issue is gonna be annoying.  Might have to get a different wheel to solve the problem, but not sure what offset / backspacing and if it's a guarantee fix 

On 2/6/2019 at 3:39 PM, wepiii said:

Just heard back from someone else in a different thread, the 1.75 does cause rub on the fender. I had been against a “spacer” and was wanting to do a “adapter” (spacer with separate lugs, but I wasn’t aware they could custom make them. I can’t imagine how a 10mm spacer could cause any issues. Hopefully that works, keep me posted.

What wheels do you have?  The only wheels that I know of that will allow you to run a 1" adaptor are the 20" snowflake wheels.  I honestly don't think you will have a fender rubbing issue with a 1.75" and 275/60 tires, the tire isn't wide enough to be an issue with your 1.5" lift.

@neekhalas I had the same issue when I put 285/70/17s on the stock 17" wheels. I went with the at3ws which are a bit beefier as well. I spent a good amount of time doing circles in a parking lot and put some white tape on the ucas to find that there was minor rubbing at full right going forwards and rubbing on both ucas at full and almost full lock in reverse. You should also be able to hear squeaking from the rubber on metal. All that being said I just installed my 10mm BORA spacers on all 4 wheels yesterday and so far no issues at all and they were a perfect fit. No rubbing at all, although I didn't have rubbing with the 1/4" rough country spacer I was running before. So short version 1/4" spacers might fix your problem and would at least give you an estimate on back spacing if you want new wheels anyways!

29 minutes ago, PuddinXD said:

@neekhalas I had the same issue when I put 285/70/17s on the stock 17" wheels. I went with the at3ws which are a bit beefier as well. I spent a good amount of time doing circles in a parking lot and put some white tape on the ucas to find that there was minor rubbing at full right going forwards and rubbing on both ucas at full and almost full lock in reverse. You should also be able to hear squeaking from the rubber on metal. All that being said I just installed my 10mm BORA spacers on all 4 wheels yesterday and so far no issues at all and they were a perfect fit. No rubbing at all, although I didn't have rubbing with the 1/4" rough country spacer I was running before. So short version 1/4" spacers might fix your problem and would at least give you an estimate on back spacing if you want new wheels anyways!

Thanks for that info, might have to put those on next time I rotate.  So far it's not too bad avoiding full lock, but it would be ideal to not have to worry about any kind of rubbing at all!!

I've had the same issue guys....not sure how this relates.. I have a 2018 Z71 Silverado Crew Cab with stock factory Goodyear Wranglers tires and rims.  I had a 2" Motofab leveling kit installed for ground clearance for the front air dam and to put a slightly larger tire on when the originals wear out.  After I installed the kit my factory tires began rubbing on the inner side wall against the upper control arm - I thought this was odd as I'm reading guys are running 275 and sometimes 285s on their trucks and the rubbing concern was more specific to the wheel well, not the control arm.  Factory tires are 265/70/18s.  I wanted to go to a 275/70/18 or maybe even a 275/75/18 but it seems like the tire is too wide as is.  No other changes/mods and the truck was aligned by the dealer after installation.  

To alleviate the rubbing with the stock tires I added a 1/4" wheel spacers to the front (per Motofab's advice) and added masking tape to where the sidewall was contacting the control arm and the rubbing stopped - thankfully. The rubbing only occurred when in full lock on uneven ground before the spacers were added, after there hasn't been any sign on the tape. The spacer has worked but now I feel stuck with the 265 width and limited selection of taller tires (only ones I can find are 265/70/18 and there aren't a lot) and didn't know the wheel spacers would have been necessary.    I heard the tires may have soft sidewalls but I can't imagine this being too much of an issue.