Michelin LTX A/T2 vs LTX Defender M/S vs LTX Premier vs Hankook Dynapr

Matt_P

Curious why you went with the 275/60/20 instead of the 275/55/20 tires? I agree they do ride great. I am a couple weeks into owning them and still notice the better ride quality compared to the stock LS2 tires.

With my level I just always thought there was too much room between the tire and top of the wheel well so this tire was a little taller and I hoped it would fill in some of that gap per say.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just purchased the LTX Defenders tonight to replace the original Firestones on my 2500 HD. Firestones weren't quite done at 48k but were close enough considering I have three road trips coming up in the next few months. Can't really comment on much yet since I only got them on the freeway to get home. These were on stock 17" rims. Install with an alignment and they came in just over $900 from my local shop. A bit higher than the offshore brands.

Mike

This topic started at very timely time. I was researching replacement tires for my oem GY LS2. Michelin LTX M/S2 and Defender LTX M/S were top of my list. My LS2 had over 60K miles but still had 6/32" tread left - that's 50%. But my wet traction was practically nil. I knew the wet traction wasn't the greatest, but I started having incidences of fishtailing when switching lanes on the interstate during wet road conditions. I checked out the local tire dealers for prices and checked online for tire reviews. Michelin had the $70 rebate going and some tire dealers displayed that, other had $70 off a set of 4 tires. I called my Chevy dealer for a quote. They quoted me a lower price for a set of 4 Michelin Defender LTXs and there was a $70 rebate through GM (goes thru Nov 2016). So I had my dealership do it.

I've had the new tires on for just over a week. So far the ride has been smooth - very comparable to the LS2. Gas mileage seems to be in the same ballpark too. Wet traction is greatly improved. Have driven in some heavy rain this past week and traction has been great. I'm looking forward to the snow this winter to see how the tires handle that.

One note here, when you get to an E load rating (=10 ply) it seems the mileage warranty goes down from 70k to 50k. Both still expire at 6 years. That info is on the Michelin website but you have to dig for it.

Mike

This topic started at very timely time. I was researching replacement tires for my oem GY LS2. Michelin LTX M/S2 and Defender LTX M/S were top of my list. My LS2 had over 60K miles but still had 6/32" tread left - that's 50%. But my wet traction was practically nil. I knew the wet traction wasn't the greatest, but I started having incidences of fishtailing when switching lanes on the interstate during wet road conditions. I checked out the local tire dealers for prices and checked online for tire reviews. Michelin had the $70 rebate going and some tire dealers displayed that, other had $70 off a set of 4 tires. I called my Chevy dealer for a quote. They quoted me a lower price for a set of 4 Michelin Defender LTXs and there was a $70 rebate through GM (goes thru Nov 2016). So I had my dealership do it.

I've had the new tires on for just over a week. So far the ride has been smooth - very comparable to the LS2. Gas mileage seems to be in the same ballpark too. Wet traction is greatly improved. Have driven in some heavy rain this past week and traction has been great. I'm looking forward to the snow this winter to see how the tires handle that.

So far my mileage is similar to the GY LS2, but the Michelin Defenders are much smoother and better traction. I anticipate they will be much better in snow as well. Even though I got rid of my tires at 7500 miles I still am glad I did the switch. I got $225 for the used LS2 tires on Craigslist.

We've had some intense rain in Phoenix this week and the tires were flawless, I had to really try to get the tire loose on wet pavement. A low gear with considerable throttle was necessary, and this is without traction or stability control.

Mid to high speed with heavy rain was as stable as can be.

7d091f5be7ce528269292015701ebac8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

One thing I've noticed about the new Defenders is that they will pick up and throw some pretty good sized rocks.

With over 1/2" between the rows of tread you can get some big stones stuck in there. When they fly out and hit the rockers you can really hear it. I don't know what happens to the guy behind me.

Mike

I have owned a few sets of michelin ltx ms tires and I have also noticed they are great at throwing rocks. I have owned both the P and LT versions and I wouldn't be concerned about the difference in tread warranty. Under equal driving conditions my guess is tread life would be equivalent. My michelins usually get replaced because of age or buying a new vehicle, not due to tread wear!

I have the LTX M/S 2's on my 2002 with 32k miles on them and they still look like new. Great tire, smooth, no noise and great traction dry or wet. As for off road, can't say and don't know about snow either since we have not gotten any here in eastern NC since I put them on.

Also got the Defenders on the Acadia, As with the LTX tire, nice and quiet and smooth on the road with great handling and wet/dry traction. Just hope they last longer than 34k like all the other tires I have tried wore out at.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When replacing the GY ls-2 with michlin you will notice a handling difference, the GY tires have a rounded edge where the MS-2 has a square edge. I did the swithch on my previous truck and it took some getting use to but michlin is a top line tire,

Archived