'98 gmc Power Steering Leak??

I just brought home a new-to-me '98 GMC Sierra 1500. As I got home, I notice a leak coming from under the hood. It's a thin, reddish tint fluid dripping off of the plastic guard directly behind the front bumper (no idea what it's called). Anyway, I took the plastic guard off and found the leak to be coming from a connection of two hoses that I'm guessing are power steering hoses. I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture, once I do, I'll share it. My question is, does that connection piece need to be replaced or will stop leak fluid work? Thanks!

Sounds like tranny fluid, check those lines very carefully. If they inspect good you'll probably need to replace the radiator as tranny lines go into side to cool tranny fluid. Also after driving the truck for 10-15mins to warm everything up to normal operating temperature and on level ground, truck still running check tranny fluid to full level.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the tranny fluid today... How long can I drive safely with this issue?

By the way, I added a picture of where the fluid is coming from as my profile picture, (couldn't figure out a different way to add it). The fluid is coming from the black connection of the two pipes.That might give you a better indication of my issue.

I would not use stop leak it is better if you fix it. stop leak is good if you are in a emergency but it could clog or destroy things. it should be fine to keep driving don't no really how long because leak could get worse just keep an eye on the tranny level.

Yes, as advised above, don't do the stop leak trick, find and fix the problem, you don't want the bubble gum fix which could end up doing more harm than good. From the picture I'd also guess we're looking at the transmission cooling lines which should connect to the passenger side tank on the radiator. It could be something as simple as a loose fitting that just needs to be tightened, could be a kinked or cracked line.

How long can you drive it this way? Depends on how bad it's leaking. If it is transmission fluid leaking and the trans fluid gets too low, you will know it when the transmission starts slipping, won't shift, or refuses to go into gear, then you're going to want to look at things right away before something gets wrecked. Also as noted above, the best bet is monitor the trans fluid level until the repair is made, get things warmed up first and check the trans level in idle and on a level surface.

Archived