Door Speaker Removal??

cato

you'll have to remove your door panel - it's not difficult to get them off

i used this video to show me what to do -

**be very careful with the very first piece that comes off of the door (in the above video the piece is brown/wood grain). once the main clips have been popped and you go to remove the piece, it has a bunch of tabs along the top that hook up into the underside of the 'arm rest' (the part that has all your buttons for windows/locks/mirror control). make sure to pull sorta down and out at the same time or you could break a tab.

see below for the tabs i'm referring to...

IMG_1384_zps3u9dmbe9.jpg

and another thing i learned this past weekend... the metal clips that hold that piece to the door - if they don't come out with the piece, make sure to remove them and put them back onto the trim piece before reinstalling it. i thought i could just leave them on the door and then pop the trim piece back on - nope.... they pushed in and fell inside the door. three of the clips stayed right at the top so i could easily get them with a magnet/long tweezers.... but the one (there's ALWAYS one) had to pinball all the way to the bottom of the door. not a huge deal (remove a couple of screws and pop out the bottom of the panel), just a waste of time! ha! see below for the metal clips....

IMG_1386_zpsa8r3iuba.jpg

all in all, i was amazed at how easy it was to get the panel off and then back on again

The trim is a pain to pull out for sure. I removed mine and made adjustments so it would stop rattling when my leg is up against it. Just the way I sit ha ha

As with all rattles I it's gone with some duct tape in the lock pin holes and I had to do some trimming on the top seam.

Thanks very much. ^^

On another note, I've been reading as much as I can find on replacing the door speakers with upgrades. I've read a few times that the dash speakers are tied into the front door speakers??

I'm guessing that if I just swap the front door speakers there shouldn't be a problem correct? I did the Kicker VSS Powerstage upgrade this past weekend and it actually sounds pretty decent with the stock speakers but I'm sure some JL's will be even better especially when I dynomat the doors too.

Dash speakers are spliced in-line with the front doors. I have tried two different sets of tweeters in the dash, neither really worked out well. Dash speakers need to be a mid-range/tweeter hybrid, there's just something about the imaging that doesn't work well when running pure tweeters reflecting off the dash. Right now, I'm running Alpine Ty-R 6x9 coaxial in front doors and a set of Earthquake 8" shallow mount subs in the heavily sound deadened rear doors, powered by an Alpine 45x4 compact amp (no speakers in the dash right now). Also have a Kicker compact 10" sub I take in/out that sits on the floor behind the driver seat when in the mood for a lot more bass, most of the time don't even use it.

When you install the JL Audio 6x9's (??), biggest challenge will be getting a balance with the factory 2.75" dash speakers, mine were notably louder than the Alpine I put in the front doors.

I was considering 6¾" (2 way) JL's in all 4 doors. Should I stick with 6x9 (3way) in the fronts?

Anyone know what ohm the front stock 6x9's are off hand?

I haven't removed the door panels yet and thought all the door speakers were 6.5" hence why I went with 6¾'s as replacements. Didn't know fronts were 6x9's

Thanks and appreciate all the advice as I done some audio in the past but it certainly isn't my area of expertise.

Dash speakers are spliced in-line with the front doors. I have tried two different sets of tweeters in the dash, neither really worked out well. Dash speakers need to be a mid-range/tweeter hybrid, there's just something about the imaging that doesn't work well when running pure tweeters reflecting off the dash. Right now, I'm running Alpine Ty-R 6x9 coaxial in front doors and a set of Earthquake 8" shallow mount subs in the heavily sound deadened rear doors, powered by an Alpine 45x4 compact amp (no speakers in the dash right now). Also have a Kicker compact 10" sub I take in/out that sits on the floor behind the driver seat when in the mood for a lot more bass, most of the time don't even use it.

When you install the JL Audio 6x9's (??), biggest challenge will be getting a balance with the factory 2.75" dash speakers, mine were notably louder than the Alpine I put in the front doors.

Grn, I notice you always have some good advice on the stereo side. I have a question. Last night I installed pioneer ts-d1730c components in the front door. No amp ( til next weekend). They are a 6 3/4 driver with a 7/8 tweeter. The tweeter I placed with sticky taper for now on the delete panel behind the side mirrors. Getting wire into the door to mount them on the dash was annoying to say the least so that stopped. I still have the factory dash speakers. So my question is obviously unamped the dash is a bit overpowered vs the door and tweet. I was thinking of adding a mid/ high to the dash area. So I would have 6 3/4 doors and tweeters and a better dash speaker to amp. Do know of any speaker that plays mids that would fit there or know what size and / or type would be the best for there?

I was considering 6¾" (2 way) JL's in all 4 doors. Should I stick with 6x9 (3way) in the fronts?

Anyone know what ohm the front stock 6x9's are off hand?

I haven't removed the door panels yet and thought all the door speakers were 6.5" hence why I went with 6¾'s as replacements. Didn't know fronts were 6x9's

Thanks and appreciate all the advice as I done some audio in the past but it certainly isn't my area of expertise.

I just measured all my door speakers. They are all 4 ohm

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the part number of the silver clips that bc-chris mentions in his Sept. 5th post above? I was accessing my door panel to put in a new speaker but quit early when I broke one one of those clips and lost another, so I need to replace them. I don't even know where to look to find the part numbers for something like that. Man, it's always something! I shouldn't attempt projects like that when I'm tired after work.

Does anyone know the part number of the silver clips that bc-chris mentions in his Sept. 5th post above? I was accessing my door panel to put in a new speaker but quit early when I broke one one of those clips and lost another, so I need to replace them. I don't even know where to look to find the part numbers for something like that. Man, it's always something! I shouldn't attempt projects like that when I'm tired after work.

i was at the dealership today and asked them

the lady gave me this number... 11588650

...oh.... and it's $10/clip from the dealership!! gaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

Archived