2015 Tahoe. A/C Condenser

I drive a 2016 Tahoe bought it brand new back in 2015. A month ago took in for service because I had no AC. when got to the dealership was told the condenser was leaking and it was the cause the truck was only blowing hot air.Its been 4 weeks already and still dont have it fix because Chevrolet has the part in back ordered and have no date for when itll be shipped/available for customers. I tried a few shops around but it comes out to almost $1,500 to get it fixed from my pocket.With the warranty i pay nothing but again, its been 4 weeks and still no updates and cant even use the truck Any advice,help, suggestions? Please help

• Like 1

AC condenser went bad in 2015 Tahoe. I see where they are having the same issue with the 2016. What is GM doing about this? Parts are not available!

Forget about the warranty, we can't even get this repair if we pay full price out of pocket! So disappointing! I am in for a class action suit!

• Like 1

AC condenser went bad in 2015 Tahoe. I see where they are having the same issue with the 2016. What is GM doing about this? Parts are not available!

Forget about the warranty, we can't even get this repair if we pay full price out of pocket! So disappointing! I am in for a class action suit!

Been waiting for a call back from GM for a week now and no one called me or email me , this is for sure the worst company to deal with. Financing this vehicle has been the worst decision I've made so far. They offer no help at all but an apologies blah blah. I AM ALSO READY FOR A CLASS ACTION SUIT !!!!

My AC went out a month ago in my 2015 Tahoe. Dealership charged me $200 to put dye in the unit to see where the leak was! $1200 to fix but was told I'd have to wait 3 months! I've been a very loyal GM customer over the years. GM should be ashamed of themselves for not doing a recall and having upset stressed out customers that drive their products! 3 MONTHS with no air and summer just hit. 5 Tahoes 4 Corvettes 2 Escalades 10 Silverados 2 Sierras 1 Cobalt later and now I may have to see how well Ford would treat their customers ? Shame on you GM

Just checked in with 2 dealers....the one I bought my vehicle from says there are 30 waiting ahead of me for the condenser, the other said 10 with no idea as to when a part will be available. Already a month with no AC & over $300 in freon in Georgia! If I can get rid of this car, I am buying a Toyota!

Hey guys I have a 2015 Chevrolet Suburban with the same AC condenser issue. After calling GM back several times they were able to offer me a deal but I had to wait for an extended period of time because there was a back order on the AC. But in general they were acting shady. So I went ahead and got a condenser that was not the GM brand. I got pretty lucky but a lot of websites are getting back in stock so you should check AutoZone and other shops because I checked AutoZone today and they had it in stock. I can also recommend some other websites. And then you can have somebody install it for as high as $500 and as low as $300 which is way better than waiting for this stupid backorder got as far as GM goes I told them that I fixed my condenser myself and would I be eligible for reimbursement and they said no. Which seems really unfair and I think there should be a class action suit

Lending my frustration to this thread. Having also purchased a brand new 2015 Chevy Tahoe, my a/c condenser just failed at 38,000 miles. My local dealership in Olympia, WA confirms the same story of a national back order of the condenser with absolutely no end in sight. There are about 20 other local customers ahead of me in line, so I'm probably looking at October-November of this year at the earliest before a part becomes available -- well after the hot summer months have passed. After having registered a formal claim/complaint with Chevrolet customer service ((800) 222-1020), I was transferred to somebody in "senior management" who, in a very polite way, told me nothing. At least Chevy acknowledges the problem now. But the Chevy rep. also confirmed there's no formal part recall or TSB on this issue. When challenged on it, the rep. agreed that her response was completely unacceptable from one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.

I asked the rep. to get permission from Chevy to pull a condenser off of one of the tens of thousands of new Tahoes/Yukons/Silverados/Escalades, etc. sitting on dealer lots right now, and send it to me. Of course they declined and essentially confirmed that their prospective new customers are more important than their existing customers.

The only thing that will get GM/Chevy's attention on an issue like this is bad press -- or a class action lawsuit as noted above. Another option is to gather up all of us disgruntled owners and start a formal Petition to GM/Chevy from a website like www.change.org, then send it to local and national media outlets and on-line automotive sites like cars.com, kbb.com, nada.com, etc.

Other options include contacting your states' attorney general's office to request arbitration and possible dealer vehicle repurchase under states' respective "Lemon Laws". Owners can also register a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

I'm waiting to see what the "Verified GM Representative" included in this thread has to say now.

This is likely the last Chevrolet I'll ever own.

Edited by cmccabe23

I emailed Mary Barra expressing my displeasure with this situation. Finally, someone did call me back, unlike the first time I contacted GM. Don't get too excited though guys. Nothing was accomplished. I asked them to pay for half of the repair, which I thought was more than fair. They refused.

I do encourage you though to send an email to Mary and let her know how frustrated and dissatisfied you are with your purchase of their product. You can email her at [email protected]. It probably won't help you financially, but it will at least hopefully get your voice heard and maybe they will stop claiming that they have no idea what we are talking about.

This was GMs last chance to offer some assistance and do what was right. I drive thousands of passengers every year, and get asked many times how I like my vehicle. Going forward, I will be honest. I will let them know that GM does not care about their customers, and I would not recommend buying any of their products. I thought that things at GM were improving. I guess I was wrong.

I will never own another GM product. I am done.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the info. I have been waiting for a condenser since 5/30 and have e-mailed Mary as well. My 3 year old and I will continue to stock the Tahoe with plenty of water, and I'll continue to dry clean my suits every few days to remove the sweat stains. This is unbelievable and I will never own another GM product again.

From what I'm hearing, the company that initially built the condensers is out of business and thus the reason for the national back order. They used two different metals which expand/ contract at different temperatures which caused the condenser to leak Freon. This is absolutely a recall issue and they should do something about it.

Edited by trmorrison2
  • Like 1

I asked the rep. to get permission from Chevy to pull a condenser off of one of the tens of thousands of new Tahoes/Yukons/Silverados/Escalades, etc. sitting on dealer lots right now, and send it to me.

That’s actually an excellent recommendation given the lack of supplier parts. At least the 2015 models since most are nearing or over the 3yrs/36k anyways.

I have the same issue. I first took my Tahoe in to the dealer in mid May and I'm still waiting on the part. Luckily I went in a few weeks before my warranty expired but I'm still forced to wait on a part. 2 months waiting on a part is ridiculous.

Same issue with us.

Seems like we all need to join together and contact a reputable, national lemon law attorney and seek class action status.

Anyone interested in joining? These cases are taken 'pro-bono' so no money leaves the plaintiffs pockets.

I would be interested in joining this as well. I first saw this group when my air conditioning went out the first time on my 2015 in early May. This site of complaints has grown like crazy! It is crazy that GM is denying this fix of a faulty part. In May, my compressor and my a/c belt were replaced and my a/c was recharged. 2 months following that large a/c fix, my a/c started blowing luke cold air again. The dealership identified this to be a leak in my condenser and there is a 2 month wait along with this $1100 fix. It is 95 degrees and I drive my 5 and 6 year olds in my car. We all paid a good amount for this car to feel like we now drive a "hoopty". I have made a complaint to Chevy and hope for some assistance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue. Under warrantee I am told. Been waiting since May 22, 2017 or a couple days earlier or two months, two car payment on my 2015 Suburban. I wrote Mary Barra and it was read by someone today, 7/25/17. I told them I was a repeat buyer, GTO, Nova, Astro, Safari, Silverado, another Silverado and the Suburban and I might not be back for the next vehicle if they can't get this problem solved and make me whole. I went to the dealership today in person and talked to the Service Manager. She checked with their Parts Manager and I am "Under Review". She said that means that I will get the part soon and they will "same day" replace it. I did call to the GM Support manager when this started up and have a case number with them. She told me to call back when the issue is resolve and they will see what they can do for me.