What Happened to the Removable Cup Holders???

• 2 months later...
On 16/11/2018 at 9:52 PM, Jimmyc! said:

Well this is just horse$hit! I didn’t find out til after I bought the 2018 truck. Loved it on my ‘15.

Crap....same here now!!! Now that is just wasted space...   I almost broke it when I pulled it off, thinking it was hard just because it was new...and then what like wtf.

• 11 months later...
On 9/19/2016 at 10:53 PM, DAY11 said:

I took the cupholder out of my 16 to take a peek at the setup and see what my options were.

Ended up adding a second cup holder and leaving the original in place. I don't have access to the larger storage but it does help organize the top and hides some items from site in the small storage area

I do have the charger and I don't think there is new equipment under there. Looks the same as other years

post-156876-0-28906900-1474339961_thumb.jpeg

How did you get yours out? Everyone after your post has said the 16' and newer are not removable. Are there clips or screws or did you just yank?

The rear cupholder piece isn't designed to be removed but yes it can be taken apart.  It has clips that hold it in place.  The first time it is a little tough to get off but comes off easier each time.

Unless you are doing custom work there is no real reason to take this off.  You can add the 14-15 extra cupholder in front of this but this has to stay in place.

Edited by DAY11

• 3 months later...

I know it’s an old thread but I’m considering a minor mod to a “16” cup holder. There’s a video on youtube of a guy modifying (for firearm concealment) by adding magnets to the side in the tab holes for quick release, which I think is a clean idea. I would want do it similar but not exactly the same. I recently rerouted a charger cable through the console so the cup holder was removed in the process. It got me considering the mod while the cup holder is out. The storage is simply too valuable to go to waste. 

I’ve included pics I took while I deliberate my next steps. Hope they are helpful, if anyone gets on this 4 yr old thread! 

9D0CA331-CC7C-46BA-9498-048D9D5C502E.jpeg

54246021-0C73-486C-8D25-381C9A31F3A0.jpeg

• Like 1

Actually fed it down from the top after drilling opening. I then removed the “floor” (it’s like 5/6 screws) of main console compartment, fed a wire with a hook bent on the end, aided by a mirror and flashlight, up to where it was dropped, hooked the chord and pulled it back through. Had to drill another hole through previously removed console “floor” piece, another through the little deep tray of the console and that was it. 

I believe you would need to remove the entire center console to get access to feed it up from the bottom as there’s no access point other than the removable floor. 

I think the key to the little hack is the right angle charger chords I have. I highly recommend them.  I’m sure some would think this is kinda dumb but I’m a bit ocd about clutter so I love cheap little hacks like this that clean things up. 

• 4 weeks later...

Traded my 2015 for a 2017 and discovered the cup holder was not removable. I will be ordering the parts to change it over. Used it all the time before and now I miss it. Plus I want to remove the top to route a charging cable for my phone to the front from inside the console.

Please post pics and parts information when done. I didn’t think there were parts available to make this switch possible. Mine isn’t as tight a fit as preferred and need to make some adjustments yet. 

I also added a cover to the area just in front of the cup holder which creates another out of sight storage area. Cover can be purchased on amazon for cheap. 

C78381C7-3E60-4F46-90C0-E73EA177057D.jpeg