AC Condenser replacement

benjdow

My AC conditions developed a pin hole leak along the seam/braze. The AC Delco condenser lasted just long enough to get me through the warranty period. I thought it was the AC to condenser line, but not the case, despite my truck not coming with the bracket that GM started adding to later models (thanks beta testers). The stealership quoted $1k to fix it...not happpening. Has anyone DIY'd a condenser replacement? Does the drier need to be replaced as well? Any recommendations on alternative condenser brands? Don't want to replace it with an equally inferior condenser.

I would be VERY careful with the brazing unless you have access to nitrogen to purge the system before heating/welding the oil will burn off inside the pipe wall and form black flakes and will contaminate the entire system leading to future problems. if you have nitrogen/flow guage/hose and attachment fittings etc. then heck yes flow some nitrogen and go for it.

i would suggest buying an aftermarket condenser which should be around 100 bucks I like to use Roppels....

ALWAYS CHANGE the filter drier anytime the system is opened up. Proper vacuum and refill with new refrigerant and BAM you are good to go.

I would get on the internet and find a condenser and dryer. Anytime the system has an opening it compromises the dryer. Just change it as insurance when you do the job. In all actuality the second you open the dryer ends you are supposed to connect it and vacuum the system immediately then charge it. The parts will be reasonable the labor is a PITA. I did it on my wife's VW. Just out of warranty. Dealer wanted 1300 bucks. Cost me 200 and an afternoon of scraping my arms!!

For sure try to get it covered and fixed at your dealership for at least part of the repair.

Trust me without the proper tools and some prior experience this repair will be a real PITA

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes, I've come to the conclusion the DIY is not worth it on this one, don't know enough about AC systems. Thanks for the tips. My thing with taking it to the dealership for the repair and possibly getting GM to cover some of the bill is that they'll use the same AC Delco condenser that's proven to be of poor build quality. A lot of people have had their condenser go out on these trucks. I'm having trouble finding an aftermarket condenser that is a direct replacement....i.e., not one that will work, one that is identical in form, fit, and function.

I had read on some other post that the condensor was redesigned, hence why GM is willing to pay for part of the repair. If you do go the dealer fix route, contact GM customer service and air your grievance first before going to the dealer for repair versus getting it fixed and asking to reimbursed later.

• 3 months later...

My '14 gmc 1500 5.3 ac stopped blowing cold and after researching online I replaced discharge hose and added the bracket for ac lines. That was 80 bucks. Never could get it to pressurize. ToOK to a local shop and they quoted 1100 to replace condenser. That was after they charged me to recharge my system. At this point maybe I should just replace everything!.. don't thinyk I'm going to attempt this DIY! Is there another brand that more reliable from local shop? If i go to dealer what do I say to try to get them to coverify some of it? They tell me they won't cover bc out of warranty. .... Doesn't feel right to pay arm and a leg for the truck and have the ac go out so soon! Bad thing is I really love my truck!

• 1 month later...

Truck was blowing hot air. Took it in with a printout of PIT5331 thinking the discharge hose/lack of bracket was the culprit. It turned out that my A/C condenser was the problem, just like other posts above. 100% covered by my GM extended warranty ($0 deductible) - I tried to leverage PIT5331 in an attempt to get the dealer to also replace the known defective part but they would not update since it wasn't showing any damage. I asked that they leave the bracket in the truck for me (cost $11.01)- I'll install it myself.

• 2 months later...

Same problem with AC condensor. Dealer quoted 1300.00 to replace. Problem is there is a national back order. Non to be found in the entire country. Tell me there is not a defective part and systemic problem. If I'm not satisfied with GMs response from customer service I'll be filing a class action suit. This will force GM to disclose their intrinsic knowledge of the problem. Many folks may be getting money back if the class action goes forward

• Like 1

Same problem with AC condensor. Dealer quoted 1300.00 to replace. Problem is there is a national back order. Non to be found in the entire country. Tell me there is not a defective part and systemic problem. If I'm not satisfied with GMs response from customer service I'll be filing a class action suit. This will force GM to disclose their intrinsic knowledge of the problem. Many folks may be getting money back if the class action goes forward

Well, you clearly joined the forum because of your A/C issue. I have a '14 and have 73k on my truck. I just had my condenser replaced last week. I was going to replace it myself but the only place I could find one was at a local dealer and for the condenser it was $325 and for two seals (which were over priced) was $400 out the door. My dealer said that GM was going to cover about 1k worth of the cost. So I paid $560 out of pocket. So I paid about $100 more than I would have if I fixed it myself.

Take it to GM and have them diagnose it and see what they will cover. They more than likely will not fight it because they know it is a huge issue. It sucks but at the end of the day, what can you do!?!?

I know about the national backorder on the 5.3L condensers, but has anyone tried using a 4.6L condenser? I know what you're thinking, "you can't do that bc of the transmission cooling lines". But what if you disconnected the AC lines, left the original condenser/trans cooler in, and rigged up the 4.6L condenser in front of the old one? You'd have space to mount it, there's plenty of that in the grill area? If I can't do that I'm going to sell this truck.

• Like 1