AC Condenser replacement

benjdow

Just joined the forum because of this issue.

March 21, I purchased a 2014 Silverado LT Doublecab with 87,500 miles on it. Salesman told me that it needed a condenser and it would be $1400 and it would take three days to get it done. No problem, $1400 added to price of truck

Picked up truck March 24, nice and shiny, ready to do. Salesman handed me the keys. I drove off. First couple of days it was very cool out, so no need for air. But third day it was warm, so I turned on the air. It blew hot.

Went back to dealer, talked to salesman. "Oh, didn't service dept tell you the condenser was on back order?"

Long story short, it's been 9 weeks today since I bought truck, and when I called dealership today, same story: it's still on back order.

My previous Silverados, a 2002 and a 2006, were excellent trucks that I put a whole lot of miles on (250,000 on the '02 before I traded it). But right now, I don't know that I am too pleased with GM or the dealership where I bought the truck. It's a known issue and they are trying to act like this is the first time it's ever happened and they just don't know why it's still on back order.

This is a terrible first post, I know, but I drive 70 miles round trip to work and having no air really sucks.

Sounds like you were sold someone else's problems.

• Like 1

Just left dealer surprise surprise my 2014 Sierra has a pin hole leak!!!!!!! It's hot as all get out and they want 1100 to fix it at SOME POINT when they are able to get one ....I call BS. Let the class action roll forward. The dealership said they have 30 2014 trucks waiting... Called corporate they said yea ok. This is not how a luxury vehicle should be ...

Just left dealer surprise surprise my 2014 Sierra has a pin hole leak!!!!!!! It's hot as all get out and they want 1100 to fix it at SOME POINT when they are able to get one ....I call BS. Let the class action roll forward. The dealership said they have 30 2014 trucks waiting... Called corporate they said yea ok. This is not how a luxury vehicle should be ...

Being in Little Rock, are you by any chance dealing with Everett?

Trying to understand how this is the dealer's fault. So the dealer is charging you to replace an in warranty condenser that is a well known issue that will happen to every K2?

If you read my original post, I bought the truck March 21 with 87,500 miles on it. No warranty. I was told by salesman the truck needed a condenser and it would be $1400 extra, which was added to cost of the truck. I was also told it would take 3 days and truck would be ready March 24. I picked up truck on March 24, and was not told the truck was not fixed, that the condenser was on back order and that there were other trucks waiting ahead of mine. In other words, salesman handed me the keys, knowing that truck was not fixed.

I paid in advance, $1400, to have truck fixed. All I get when I call dealership is the "customer care" rep telling me it's still on back order.

Also, I had no idea about the condenser issue being a problem before I bought the truck. I found out about it only after I did a search on owner forums after several weeks of being told the condenser was still on back order.

It seems to me that Everett should have informed me when I picked up truck that it was not fixed, that the condensers were on back order and that there were trucks ahead of mine waiting for the same thing. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into the same issue earlier this month with my 2014 Silverado and essentially Chevrolet installed a defective part in the vehicle that we purchased. And we have to pay to repair the defect that they sold to us.

The dealership quoted me $1100 to repair, not replace, the condenser since it is on back order right now. Talked to someone at Chevrolet and they said the original condenser has a defect and is only expected to last around 2 years. Asked about a recall, they said they were unsure at the moment but heard from someone else in the know that if you have the condenser repaired or replaced to save your receipt because it's coming. There's just no telling when that will be.

Edited by Migle

Twelve weeks and still waiting for AC condenser that I paid in advance to have repaired. Service manager told me they have seven trucks on the ground waiting ahead of mine and no idea when they'll have condensers. Great job, General Motors.

At this point, i would ask for my $1400 back and for the dealership to do a goodwill repair for your troubles.

Twelve weeks and still waiting for AC condenser that I paid in advance to have repaired. Service manager told me they have seven trucks on the ground waiting ahead of mine and no idea when they'll have condensers. Great job, General Motors.

A little off topic (but not too far) and maybe a dumb question (I know, no dumb questions only dumb people) but given the warmer than average temps I've been running my AC much more than normal. When I initially start the truck the AC blows the cold air on a high setting, then after a few minutes turns it self down quite a bit and is subsequently much quieter. I do not have it on the auto setting, nor do I have it recirculating air when this occurs. I'm about to eclipse the 34,000 mile mark so I'm thinking the condenser won't actually go out for another 2,500 miles as soon as I'm fully out of warranty.