How to turn off Auto Headlights on 2016 GMC 2500hd

Hi all, Im new to this forum and GMC trucks.

I just bought a new 2016 GMC 2500hd. Im in Canada so i assume that is why the auto headlight are the default setting.

They drive me crazy turning on and off all the time. Driving though big shadows will sometimes turn them on.

I want a way to turn off the auto headlights function. i have no issue with the DRL LED lights being on all the time.

Ive read through a bunch of topics but most seem to be looking for a way to turn off the DRL's.

Any fix to this auto headlight issue?

Thanks

That must be programmed out. Nothing happens when I turn it to the left except when in park. But as soon as I put it in gear it resorts to default auto. I might be stuck with this unless I pull the control apart and find a way to disable

I don't think taking the switch apart will help you. It's a software thing too.

Fyi at least on the USA trucks, when you turn it to the left, not only does it disable auto headlights, it disables the DRLs :-(

Waiting for someone to figure out how to disable auto headlights without losing DRLs

Edited by SkiDooNick700

That must be programmed out. Nothing happens when I turn it to the left except when in park. But as soon as I put it in gear it resorts to default auto. I might be stuck with this unless I pull the control apart and find a way to disable

Canadian market truck if turning left won't cancel out the lights in drive. And its law since 1989 for cars that are Canadian market to have DRL lamps that are on at ignition/in drive. Looking at the circuits its fed from the BCM, through the forward lamp harness, then to the DRL. No fuses I see in the circuits for the DRL.

• 2 months later...

I just bypassed my auto headlight light sensor in my 2014 gmc 2500hd. this was a canada truck. first you need a 3200 ohm resistor unplug the white connector from your bcm its the #2 plug pin 11 is the signal wire white from the light sensor cut that wire from the bcm and run it to a clean ground through the resistor the bcm will think its daylight all the time and then I pulled fuse for the daytime running lights and now I have total control of my headlights. took about 30 minutes. also I installed a switch so I can switch back to auto.

• 11 months later...
On 12/23/2016 at 2:02 PM, gmc man 6.0 said:

I just bypassed my auto headlight light sensor in my 2014 gmc 2500hd. this was a canada truck. first you need a 3200 ohm resistor unplug the white connector from your bcm its the #2 plug pin 11 is the signal wire white from the light sensor cut that wire from the bcm and run it to a clean ground through the resistor the bcm will think its daylight all the time and then I pulled fuse for the daytime running lights and now I have total control of my headlights. took about 30 minutes. also I installed a switch so I can switch back to auto.

Hi guys, I was wondering if any one else has tried this and has had luck? I have a 2012 GMC Sierra that was a Canadian truck from the start. It has a bunch of options that you couldn’t get on a SLE in the states which I think is pretty cool because I live in the states.  I noticed on this truck compared to my others that were US versions as soon as I put it in drive the lights come on and I can not turn them off as long as it is in gear. The only way I can bypass the lights is when it is in park. I know this is a Canada thing because I went through this with a 96 cadillac fleetwood years ago. This bugs the crap out of me. I guess I am just looking to see if using a resistor is the way to go or if there is any other tricks. Thanks for any help or advise. 

24 minutes ago, Cadzilla78 said:

Hi guys, I was wondering if any one else has tried this and has had luck? I have a 2012 GMC Sierra that was a Canadian truck from the start. It has a bunch of options that you couldn’t get on a SLE in the states which I think is pretty cool because I live in the states.  I noticed on this truck compared to my others that were US versions as soon as I put it in drive the lights come on and I can not turn them off as long as it is in gear. The only way I can bypass the lights is when it is in park. I know this is a Canada thing because I went through this with a 96 cadillac fleetwood years ago. This bugs the crap out of me. I guess I am just looking to see if using a resistor is the way to go or if there is any other tricks. Thanks for any help or advise. 

Tell us more about  "bunch of options that you couldn’t get on a SLE in the states".

As far as the options, My truck is 2012 GMC SLE crew cab 1500 from Canada so I am comparing it to the same model options for US sales. From what I understand from US ordering options some of these options were only available on SLT and Denali models in the US.   Mine has the chrome grille, door handles, body molding, and mirrors. It has a sun / moon roof, power rear sliding window, all power options on the interior including the passengers seat, console between the front seats, brushed aluminum accents on the dash and interior, block heater, separate heating controls for the drivers/passengers sides, power folding mirrors, and I’m sure I am forgetting some stuff. I do know my rims, Eaton posi, and gauges are because of the all terrain and Z71 packages. It basically seems that the truck is loaded except a backup camera and heated seats.

All of that being said I I could have read the ordering options for US sales wrong for the SLE model? I have seen other Canadian trucks in this area with the same options so I know mine isn’t a one off. While talking to the owners I found that each one of these trucks has the Canada decals in the door jams and have / had French owners manuals though. I just haven’t seen a US SLE with these options.