How to turn off Auto Headlights on 2016 GMC 2500hd

On 12/6/2017 at 8:25 PM, Cadzilla78 said:

Hi guys, I was wondering if any one else has tried this and has had luck? I have a 2012 GMC Sierra that was a Canadian truck from the start. It has a bunch of options that you couldn’t get on a SLE in the states which I think is pretty cool because I live in the states.  I noticed on this truck compared to my others that were US versions as soon as I put it in drive the lights come on and I can not turn them off as long as it is in gear. The only way I can bypass the lights is when it is in park. I know this is a Canada thing because I went through this with a 96 cadillac fleetwood years ago. This bugs the crap out of me. I guess I am just looking to see if using a resistor is the way to go or if there is any other tricks. Thanks for any help or advise. 

is there an off side to the switch? the US trucks have the spring-loaded knob you can turn it to off. I removed the spring so the light are always off unless i turn them on

9 hours ago, 8lugCT said:

is there an off side to the switch? the US trucks have the spring-loaded knob you can turn it to off. I removed the spring so the light are always off unless i turn them on

Yes, I believe this is the same spring loaded switch. I’ll check the part number to make sure. I think it is a program in the bcm because if my truck is in any gear but park running or not the lights are fully on. The only exception I have found was that I can have the headlights off for the remote start. I have tried to hold the switch to the off position while in gear which didn’t turn them off. If the switches are different part numbers than I guess that would be a good place for me to start. 

If IRC there is a thread on here where someone took their switch apart and took that spring out so he could control the headlights.  You will have to search on here more.  I suck when it comes to searching this site. 

7 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

If IRC there is a thread on here where someone took their switch apart and took that spring out so he could control the headlights.  You will have to search on here more.  I suck when it comes to searching this site. 

I did that... i followed a video on youtube. literally took 10 mins.

10 hours ago, Cadzilla78 said:

Yes, I believe this is the same spring loaded switch. I’ll check the part number to make sure. I think it is a program in the bcm because if my truck is in any gear but park running or not the lights are fully on. The only exception I have found was that I can have the headlights off for the remote start. I have tried to hold the switch to the off position while in gear which didn’t turn them off. If the switches are different part numbers than I guess that would be a good place for me to start. 

hmm. if turning the knob to the off position doesnt turn the lights off, I'm going to assume its a BCM thing. GMC may be able to reprogram it. Ford did that to my DRLs on my f250 years ago. The only thing I can say to try is to start your truck while holding the knob in the off position and see if the lights come on after shifting it into gear, all while holding the knob in the off position. If so, do the spring removal.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, Cadzilla78 said:

Here is the dash. 

12CC7804-0155-41C3-AE78-BB18881FCAC4.jpeg

AF6DAA9D-E620-4EF8-8661-DB6986BB84F3.jpeg

You have those "extra options" because you have the All Terrain Package, very nice pickups.  On yours, have you pulled the 2 DRL fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment?  That is all I had to do on my 2010 I had.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for everybody’s help and advice. I have gone through all of the options and the only thing left is to reprogram the BCM. I think at this point I am just going to leave the truck as it is. If it bugs me bad enough I’m sure I can just rewire the headlights to by pass the BCM at some point. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 10:13 PM, hyperactivemi said:

Has anyone determined if the local dealership can reprogram this? I need to be able to turn the lights at night when ariving at a campsite, I am not making any friends shining my lights in everyone's tents at night.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I haven’t talked to my local dealership yet but I guess I should try. I will let you know any info they give me when I talk to them. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/19/2016 at 10:09 AM, Pilsner Man said:

Hi all, Im new to this forum and GMC trucks.

I just bought a new 2016 GMC 2500hd. Im in Canada so i assume that is why the auto headlight are the default setting.

They drive me crazy turning on and off all the time. Driving though big shadows will sometimes turn them on.

I want a way to turn off the auto headlights function. i have no issue with the DRL LED lights being on all the time.

Ive read through a bunch of topics but most seem to be looking for a way to turn off the DRL's.

Any fix to this auto headlight issue?

Thanks

Did you ever find how to do this? I’ve got a 2018 Canadian Sierra and same issue.

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2020 at 11:50 PM, Recks said:

Did you ever find how to do this? I’ve got a 2018 Canadian Sierra and same issue.

You just need a 680ohms resistor plugged into the sensor on the top of the dash. Pull the stereo out pop the sensor down plug resistor in, tape if you want, put back together and all done. I did it to my 2015 duramax and I disabled my DRLs as well. I did this a couple years ago no issues

• 1 month later...