In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
cajun_duck

Door locks going out

2014 Sierra, my warranty ran out the other day, and I swear the next day my passenger door lock stopped working. Does not work with keyfab nor with door buttons. Now, a week later my driver's side is starting to do the same. Is there aome sort of issue or recall on this I missed or will I just have to change the actuator myself?

2014 Sierra, my warranty ran out the other day, and I swear the next day my passenger door lock stopped working. Does not work with keyfab nor with door buttons. Now, a week later my driver's side is starting to do the same. Is there aome sort of issue or recall on this I missed or will I just have to change the actuator myself?

A simliar issue was a big problem on the GMT-900 trucks. The actuator in the lock unit would fail and the locks would simply quit engaging. The dealership denied any knowledge of it, even though every silverado, avalanche and surburban in the family had to have all of the lock units replaced by roughly 50000-60000 km. My rear ones went out of warranty and GM wanted 500 per side to fix. I bought the new units for barely 100 bucks each and did the repair myself.

Edited by DanMan_S

Mine quit on one truck. If you use them they will wear out. 2009 truck did also. Professional grade!

Yep...my '09 did that. Around a hundred bucks and 20 minutes later...worked perfect.

Mine quit on one truck. If you use them they will wear out. 2009 truck did also. Professional grade!

I had one door lock actuator go out on my '09 Impala after warranty expiration. The part is made in Mexico and is not cheap (around$ 100 wholesale from the local GM dealer). The biggest problem was getting this thing inside the rear door and connecting the linkages!

What did you find out?  My dad's drivers side door lock stopped working on his 2014 1500.  Do you have any part #s?  Thanks

I had the auto lock disabled on my '10 for just such this reason.

They claimed they could not do it when I bought my '14... I've not researched it since. I would have it done again if available.

1 hour ago, j13smiley said:

I had the auto lock disabled on my '10 for just such this reason.

They claimed they could not do it when I bought my '14... I've not researched it since. I would have it done again if available.

'Off' is no longer an option for auto door lock. 

The door will unlock and open (without putting in park and without using the unlock button) if the door handle is pulled twice.

Edited by redwngr

Same issue with my 14 Sierra 1500. Door lock drivers side just quit working. Sounds like they use junk door lock actuators. Should be a recall started for this is a safety issue. Come on GM.

I've always thought it was stupid you have to click lock 2 times to use the remote start on a GM. Why not just click the remote start button twice? Run the lock actuators twice after they are already locked to remote start the truck? seems a little silly. 

How pathetic.  2008 models had bad door lock actuators.  My old 08 Duramax had all 4 go out before 60,000 miles.