I bought my truck in July and I'm on my third EGR valve. The last one went out at the beginning of September. I took it into the shop and they checked the code and told me it needed an EGR valve. I told them I had put one in recently and they said it might not be working since it was an aftermarket one and recommended buying an AcDelco valve. So it has a good quality EGR valve in it now, but it needs a new one again. Any ideas as to why it would be doing that? I don't want to keep putting new ones in it every month so any suggestions would be appreciated. I know for sure that it's the EGR valve because it runs a ton better when I unplug it. When it's plugged in the truck has an incredibly hard time accelerating. I will push down the gas pedal but the truck won't accelerate. It's like the engine isn't getting any gas so it won't go. After about 5 or 10 seconds it will get the gas it needs and go flying forward really fast. When it's just idling the engine continually revs over and over. I hope that makes sense. When the EGR valve isn't plugged in it runs just fine. I'm driving with it unplugged for the time being but need to find a permanent solution.

It's a V8, 5.7L.

how about the condition of the engine? usually the egr valve blocks due to carbon debris from the engine exhaust gas. remove the valve and try cleaning the tubings & valve! if you figure out the carbon deposits on the egr you better check your engine condition and the ignition system

Archived