WT trim with Color DIC, Steering Wheel Controls, IO5 Stereo retrofit.

Once you add the LINBUS wire from steering wheel to cluster you’ll have illumination on the wheel and partial controls. Once you connect wires from radio  to cluster you should have full SW audio controls. I did similar upgrades on my 2015 Tahoe PPV and prior to adding that wire the SW buttons didn’t light up. Not sure about your BT issue, but I know nothing on my radio worked until I wired it into the cluster.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 4:07 PM, jonathanbwarren said:

Once you add the LINBUS wire from steering wheel to cluster you’ll have illumination on the wheel and partial controls. Once you connect wires from radio  to cluster you should have full SW audio controls. I did similar upgrades on my 2015 Tahoe PPV and prior to adding that wire the SW buttons didn’t light up. Not sure about your BT issue, but I know nothing on my radio worked until I wired it into the cluster.

Can anyone tell me the PN# for the terminal ends for the LINBUS wire? I want to make the wire but im not sure what terminal ends to use to plug into the back of my clock spring plug & cluster plug.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. I have no steering wheel controls and I cant change my denali cluster warnings lmao. :( 

• 5 weeks later...
*** IO3/ Alpine restyle/ Denali cluster UPDATE ***
I received my Denali cluster again. It was acting up the first time. WAMS fixed it. I added the wire from the wheel to the cluster, and my issue with the steering wheel lights is solved. It was the communication. Next order of business is to reprogram the idata maestro. hopefully I wont need to add the other communication wires, or I can decipher how to run them directly to the maestro unit. The only issue I have, is that it says "Service power steering" every time I start the truck. A minor irritation, but I would like it sorted. Any ideas? 

Did you ever run the other communication wires to your Alpine restyle/idata maestro?

If anybody is interested I have my old cluster but lens is messed up accidentally broke taking out my airbag HMU it’s the 4in color cluster I upgraded to the Denali Cluster, works fine just needs a new lens HMU if u want to see a picture for I had it figured somebody else could benefit from it or something 

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to chime in here.. I just completed this upgrade on my IOB truck. I know there was a few of us in here with IOB trucks with questions. Hopefully this helps..

I went IOB to IO6.

My truck is a 2018 Silverado Custom (No steering wheel controls, basic cluster with 7" Screen & Carplay)

Mods Needed:

Denali Or Intellink Cluster (must get it programmed by WAMS if using a used cluster)

Steering wheel w/ steering wheel controls & clock spring

8" Screen (I dont know if theres different ones, mine came off a high country with Carplay and Navigation)

HMI & Radio Module (Provided by MVI Inc) 

MVI Harness for IOB to IO6

MVI Harness for Radio steering controls

Run LINBUS wire as previously stated here

The MVI harness is plug & play except for the wires that go into the gauge cluster plug (must be added, takes less than 5 mins to do it)

and the 4 BCM wires. 

To get the rear view camera to work (From your big IOB radio plug, unpin the two (Gray/Yellow) Wires and the (White/Blue) wires. There are two of each. Connect Gray/Yellow to Gray/Yellow and White/Blue to White/Blue. (DONE!)

Hope this helps, all in all it took about 2 hours to install.

71714613_10214854090441385_4791349839063

71906545_10214854090881396_4651386419778

71494528_10214854091801419_5591248649964

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/18/2019 at 9:16 AM, Todd1982 said:

Great information in this thread 

Have a couple of questions ....

I am starting with a 2014 WT with i04 package 

I have added the rear camera , but have not paid to have it enabled yet .

I purchased the heated wheel with the proper (heated) clock spring. 

I want to install the Denali dash later this year as well.

I have ordered the Alpine i209-GM for a radio replacement .

First question ....

Should I bother paying to have the HMI flashed for the backup camera since I will be using the Maestro going forward ?

Second question ....

Steering wheel controls, should I bother to run them to the stock radio at this point or just wait to run them directly to the Maestro ?

Third question .....

Will the Alpine unit display radio information to the DIC display ?

If it will not , then there is no point running those wires either ?

Thanks in advance 

I just finished installing the Alpine I209-GM unit and the Denali cluster.  The Alpine unit comes with a harness that plugs into the clock spring connector so that will interface the steering wheel controls with the radio.  The wire from the clock spring connector to the cluster must be run to integrate the steering wheel controls to the cluster.

It does not appear that there are wires that allow the cluster to communicate with the Alpine unit.  I cannot get the compass heading, maps, or radio information to display on the cluster.

Edit:

The Alpine Installation Instructions contain information in the Troubleshooting section that confirms that the Alpine unit does not have the capability to push data the the cluster.  

Edited by superdave160
Updated information

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys and girls, if you have a lower trim truck with no steering wheel controls and want to add them or if your looking to upgrade your instrument cluster to a higher trim like Denali and need to rewire some stuff then I have the videos for you. Chek them out!! Part 3 with the Denali cluster will be uploaded shortly.

Thanks to OP and WAMS

Part 1

Part 2

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 7:02 PM, superdave160 said:

I just finished installing the Alpine I209-GM unit and the Denali cluster.  The Alpine unit comes with a harness that plugs into the clock spring connector so that will interface the steering wheel controls with the radio.  The wire from the clock spring connector to the cluster must be run to integrate the steering wheel controls to the cluster.

It does not appear that there are wires that allow the cluster to communicate with the Alpine unit.  I cannot get the compass heading, maps, or radio information to display on the cluster.

Edit:

The Alpine Installation Instructions contain information in the Troubleshooting section that confirms that the Alpine unit does not have the capability to push data the the cluster.  

Just saw this ...

I finished all this back in April of last year...

I thought i posted in here the functionality of each wire .

The information being sent to the Dash is over the MOST Bus the alpine does support MOST Bus

If you recall during the install you removed that plug and never plugged it back in.

Let me know if you have any more questions 

Correct me if I am wrong.

Cluster plug:

1, 18, 2,17, 5 

I pin a wire to each of these.

What color is correct for each pin?

What do I do with the radio end of these wires?

Cluster Plug:

Pin 20 on Cluster to Dark Green 2 on Cock Spring

Norm

(920) 619-8165

• 2 months later...

Okay so I think I understand that it can't be done, but I haven't seen someone ask what I'd like to do. I have a 2014 Sierra that was originally io3 and I upgraded to iob. I saw someone use this method to swap in an escalade digital cluster and I'm wondering if it's possible to do the upgrade with out an HMI if I don't want heated wheel or don't care about audio controls or audio info in the cluster.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve read this topic and performed the cluster upgrade.  I’ve added a Denali cluster from WAMS. New steering wheel with controls. All the wiring as well.   All controls work perfectly except I have no illumination from steering wheel controls. I’ve checked the wiring I did thinking I messed something up but it all checks out ok.  I do have the linkswell T-style radio if that makes any difference.   Can anyone please lead me in a direction.  Thanks 

• 1 month later...

Hello All, 

I have a few questions in regards to integrating steering wheel controls into a 2014 Silverado WT model. This truck belongs to my father and from what I can tell it has the IO4 factory stereo, what we have done was removed the HMI module and screen and installed an aftermarket deck (Kenwood DDX6903S) and a Maestro RR module to retain factory features. Since he wanted steering wheel controls we have swapped the steering wheel to one that has cruise and stereo controls (not heated).

Everything works as expected except the stereo controls for the deck. The cruise buttons work but the illumination on the buttons does not. 

I have read through this entire thread and decided we needed to try running a wire from pin 20 on the cluster to pin 2 on the clockspring harness. I was hoping this would solve our issue but alas it doesn't. Since the maestro module just taps this wire at the clockspring I don't understand why this wire is needed but with all the data buses and electronics I figured it was worth a try. 

One thing that was apparent when reading this thread was all the changes were done with a cluster swap. So I'm wondering if the WT cluster doesn't support a steering wheel with stereo controls and isn't programmed as such and could possibly explain why illumination doesn't work. I cant quite explain why taping the LIN bus for the maestro doesn't tho. Unless the steering wheel needs to be initialized or something first.

So being at a dead end I thought I would post here. 

Would getting an upgraded cluster from WAM or similiar place solve the issue and get the illumination and stereo controls working?

Thank You,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All, 

I have a few questions in regards to integrating steering wheel controls into a 2014 Silverado WT model. This truck belongs to my father and from what I can tell it has the IO4 factory stereo, what we have done was removed the HMI module and screen and installed an aftermarket deck (Kenwood DDX6903S) and a Maestro RR module to retain factory features. Since he wanted steering wheel controls we have swapped the steering wheel to one that has cruise and stereo controls (not heated).

Everything works as expected except the stereo controls for the deck. The cruise buttons work but the illumination on the buttons does not. 

I have read through this entire thread and decided we needed to try running a wire from pin 20 on the cluster to pin 2 on the clockspring harness. I was hoping this would solve our issue but alas it doesn't. Since the maestro module just taps this wire at the clockspring I don't understand why this wire is needed but with all the data buses and electronics I figured it was worth a try. 

One thing that was apparent when reading this thread was all the changes were done with a cluster swap. So I'm wondering if the WT cluster doesn't support a steering wheel with stereo controls and isn't programmed as such and could possibly explain why illumination doesn't work. I cant quite explain why taping the LIN bus for the maestro doesn't tho. Unless the steering wheel needs to be initialized or something first.

So being at a dead end I thought I would post here. 

Would getting an upgraded cluster from WAM or similiar place solve the issue and get the illumination and stereo controls working?

Thank You,
Michael

That’s correct. Steering wheel controls are run through the cluster so you would need to upgrade to the 4inch color cluster. Also if you didn’t have that cluster already you most likely had the io3 which is what comes in the work trucks. This is why you are having problems. Base everything and missing wires. I have no knowledge of that aftermarket radio, you may want to check to make sure steering wheel controls will work with that system before you put in all the time and money. Also make sure there is no missing wiring between the system and cluster.