How much were you able to get a GM extended warranty for?

You already bought the truck, so I don't know which is better to do..

but with both of my last two GM trucks and with my Ford Mustang.. My monthly payment was actually cheaper by opting for the Extended Warranty through the dealer because it lowered my loan interest rate. Lenders see it as 'extra security' for the vehicle so it is less of a liability because it is covered for longer. So even though I "paid" for the extended warranty, it was cheaper for me to pay for it than not.

Doesn't answer your question, but may help for other future decisions regarding the extended warranty if you can get the incentive that I have.

Forget it! The option at the dealer is the "better coverage" but it's too late for that. Don't sweat it and save the the 2000.00+ I have told the dealers to shove it on last 3 vehicles for warranties and they were always shocked?

I had slight problems with all vehicles and was sorted out well within the 36,000 or 60,000 or 100,000 And how long is holding a car to you? 5 years is long for most?

We have purchased warranties on the last 3 cars we have bought from dealerships. First was a Nissan Maxima where both front struts went out that cost more than we paid for the warranty. Two weeks ago the wife's 2013 Durango 50k Miles, started dripping trans fluid. Trans cooler was leaking and cost a little over $1,000 to fix.(Labor Intensive) We paid right around $1200 for that warranty. On my 2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain We paid around $1400 for that warranty. All were bought at the dealership and were paid for up front and not financed in.

You will always get people that say not to buy and you get people that say they always buy no matter what the purchase is. It's just an insurance policy to me.

MOOKDOC6 makes a good point about how long you plan on keeping a vehicle. I keep all mine until 95-100k then I dump them..... If I was buying a new one every 60k than I'd be more likely to gamble.

I got one considering the cost of electronics in these trucks is ridiculous so I figured a bumper to bumper for 100k miles is good for me. Then again, mine has a deductible of $100 that they didn't mention to me when I purchased it, pisses me off but it's probably in that fine print I didn't read, my fault lol. I think I paid under two thousand, I would like to make good use of it before it expires lol

• Like 1

I used to buy extended warranties. What amazes me is that these warranties are pennies to the dollar for Toyota vs GM and tge Big-3. I paid $790 for a 7yr/100K zero $ deductible extended warranty through Toyota Financial on my last 2007 Tacoma. The cost for the same warranty on these trucks is well over $2K and then it occured to me, why would i automatically look into an extended warranty on a brand new vehicle for an additional couple of grand$? If i had that many doubts on the relaibility of the vehicle i was planning on buying, then it would probably make sense to look at another manufacturer with a better track record. Paying $2K+ for what is essentially a 4 yr/64K warranty is ridiculous. I'll bank my money on investing that cash and letting it grow and chance it i wont spend that much on repairs. These warranties are mostly profit for car makers. If you do decide to buy a GMPP plan, they are underwritten by Ally financial, so shop around online. You can probably get a better deal from a volume seller than at the dealer, the only downside is you're not financing the plan with a low car interst %.

They seem to call at least 5-6 times a year trying to sell me one. I told the last guy I had 150k on the clock, I didn't, but he didn't care. I forget the quote he gave me, but less than $1,000 for a warranty up to 200k miles. No rush to decide if you want one. Of course, the quality of the warranty may not be so great once you get higher mileage.

I would not pay $200 for one. They are a sucker sell becuase people think that the dealer service department price on a small claim is what it would have really costed to fix a minor issue. Yea, that same $1200 leaking shock claim could have been done in the driveway for less than $100 and 10 minutes of time.

I paid around 1,500 to extend the bumper to bumper warranty to 118,000 miles. 15 sierra.

I have had a few issues that were taken care of under the factory warranty. It was worth the extra cash to not have to worry about electronics for the next couple of years

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also own a Subaru Outback - on the Subaru forum was posted a dealer out of state that sold a whole lot of original Subaru warranties at a greatly reduced cost as a result of his volume. Original manufacture warranties are valid no matter where they are purchased (a GM warranty is a GM warranty), or when they are purchased (prior to expiration of the original factory warranty). I got a quote for a 7yr/70,000/$0 deductible Subaru warranty for almost $800 less that my Subaru dealer quoted during the sale. In fact, my Subaru dealer said they would match the lower price!

It might be nice if this forum could get readers to provide the price for their warranty purchase and the dealer's name and phone number if the dealer was willing to give a quote on the phone or via email and sell to anyone that called - then when the best dealer quote was determined, we could all call that dealer and get a good price. After a purchase you get all the forms and paperwork in the mail and you warranty is recorded by GM in their computer so you can use it anywhere.

I paid around 1,500 to extend the bumper to bumper warranty to 118,000 miles. 15 sierra.

I have had a few issues that were taken care of under the factory warranty. It was worth the extra cash to not have to worry about electronics for the next couple of years

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Seems like you would worry less with the money in your bank account, not GM's.