How much were you able to get a GM extended warranty for?

My dealership puts a lifetime powertrain warranty on every vehicle they sell, new or used. However you have to have follow your owner manual's service recommendation schedule perfectly. They will void your powertrain warranty over missing a tire rotation. I've never dealt with an extended bumper to bumper warranty though. I can't leave a vehicle stock for that long.

The only reason I did the extended warranty on mine is because I talked it down to around $1,000 and electronic problems are really expensive to fix. With as much tech as this truck has I like the peace of mind. Well worth a grand paid over a few years.

You already bought the truck, so I don't know which is better to do..

but with both of my last two GM trucks and with my Ford Mustang.. My monthly payment was actually cheaper by opting for the Extended Warranty through the dealer because it lowered my loan interest rate. Lenders see it as 'extra security' for the vehicle so it is less of a liability because it is covered for longer. So even though I "paid" for the extended warranty, it was cheaper for me to pay for it than not.

Doesn't answer your question, but may help for other future decisions regarding the extended warranty if you can get the incentive that I have.

This is my case as well. But I think I paid more than 2grand. But it did lower my interest rate. As for warranties.. Yes I think it's worth it (to some degree). We just had our 2011 CRV radio electronics go bad on us, we wanted to keep it stock, so to replace the stock deck, it would've cost us over 1000 bucks but we paid like $100 for the deductible. That along was almost worth the insurance.. and we still have 25k left before it expires, but then again we're selling the car soon but it's a good incentive for other buyers to buy it (with transfer fee) and a piece of mind that it will be under some warranty instead of WYSIWYG.

Personally, i'm more worried about them electronic gadgets than the drive train but this is my first GM vehicle and I rather be safe than sorry.

Edited by cs2016lt

The only reason I did the extended warranty on mine is because I talked it down to around $1,000 and electronic problems are really expensive to fix. With as much tech as this truck has I like the peace of mind. Well worth a grand paid over a few years.

^^^^^^^^

This!

I got the extended too. It added 20 bucks to the monthly. So it's another 1,440 dollars to the loan. All the electronic stuff on these new vehicles. Peace of mind for sure. I'm thinking replacing the 8" touchscreen is close to that amount.

Edited by glc

This is my case as well. But I think I paid more than 2grand. But it did lower my interest rate. As for warranties.. Yes I think it's worth it (to some degree). We just had our 2011 CRV radio electronics go bad on us, we wanted to keep it stock, so to replace the stock deck, it would've cost us over 1000 bucks but we paid like $100 for the deductible. That along was almost worth the insurance.. and we still have 25k left before it expires, but then again we're selling the car soon but it's a good incentive for other buyers to buy it (with transfer fee) and a piece of mind that it will be under some warranty instead of WYSIWYG.

Personally, i'm more worried about them electronic gadgets than the drive train but this is my first GM vehicle and I rather be safe than sorry.

You can also call and cancel the warranty. You'll get a prorated amount back in many cases. Since you have a claim on yours, it is probably more valuable to transfer it, but you never know. If you're trading the car in, ALWAYS get a refund. They don't care about the plans.

If you never make it out of your 3/36k you'll be talking about a sizable return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also call and cancel the warranty. You'll get a prorated amount back in many cases. Since you have a claim on yours, it is probably more valuable to transfer it, but you never know. If you're trading the car in, ALWAYS get a refund. They don't care about the plans.

If you never make it out of your 3/36k you'll be talking about a sizable return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ I wish I would have known I could do this :(

^^^^^^^^

This!

I got the extended too. It added 20 bucks to the monthly. So it's another 1,440 dollars to the loan. All the electronic stuff on these new vehicles. Peace of mind for sure. I'm thinking replacing the 8" touchscreen is close to that amount.

Am I reading this right? You financed an extended warranty on a 72 month loan?

When loan rates are under 2% you would be an idiot not to finance it IMO.

no such thing. also 0% financing does not actually exist and anyone who took a 0% deal is actually paying ~6%. Do not take my word on it go to google and type it in an educate yourself.

queue the folks saying 'bargle bargle i have 0% and its real duh' actually no it us not and you were taken for a ride look it up. It is a gimmick for people who are bad or too lazy to do the math. Negotiate a cash price and get your financing from someone other than GM and do the math.

Edited by Alpine Truck Life

no such thing. also 0% financing does not actually exist and anyone who took a 0% deal is actually paying ~6%. Do not take my word on it go to google and type it in an educate yourself.

queue the folks saying 'bargle bargle i have 0% and its real duh' actually no it does not and you were taken for a ride look it up.

What about those of use who got 1.74% through our credit unions and not financed through the dealership? Do those not exist either?

https://www.dcu.org/loans/auto-loans.html

Edited by Doobs41378

What about those of use who got 1.99% through our credit unions and not financed through the dealership? Do those not exist either?

Fully encourage to get financing outside of GM/Dealer. Negotiating a cash price then going elsewhere for financing is best option. They can often give you a better rate on a secured loan. Case in point.

Point is all those 0% offers you see advertised are simply a gimmick.

Edited by Alpine Truck Life

queue the folks saying 'bargle bargle i have 0% and its real duh' actually no it does not and you were taken for a ride look it up.

This is not true at all. It's all in the details of the purchase you are making. They will offer a true 0% with a large down payment because it equals more cash in their pocket. They will offer a true 0% for a certain product that they need to sell more of to get off the lots (0% outweighs costs of high on-hand inventory). AND being a truck forum, 0% is worth the sale on a high priced truck which yields a very high profit margin. These guys are not dumb and they sacrifice offering these 0% incentives for other higher yield benefits.

The most important principle in successful business: CASH IS KING

queue the folks saying 'bargle bargle i have 0% and its real duh' actually no it us not and you were taken for a ride look it up. It is a gimmick for people who are bad or too lazy to do the math. Negotiate a cash price and get your financing from someone other than GM and do the math.

I got my 1.99% through my CC company and did negotiate a cash price. My 1.99% is very very real.

My local credit unions average a fixed 2.5% interest on my accounts so I come out ahead taking the loan instead of paying cash for the truck.

Edited by Havvkeye