LED Reverse/ Backup lights in rear bumper step cavity?

Thank you for the nice comments everyone...much appreciated. I'll do my best to give you how I did it-

The lights I used are these- http://www.rigidindu...-lighting/20641

However, I just found them on Amazon for like 92.50..

The Rigids come with a round template and I used a Harbor Freight Step Drill. I think you can by the whole set on sale for like 8.99 for three of these gold plated step drills. Then just locate the center, mark, drill out and they slide in. The lights are square/rectangular shape on the back side. I've included another pic from the underneath for reference.

Also, I did not remove the plastic steps. I did loosen the screws that hold them in and warmed the plastic a little. I pulled the top down when it came time to put screws in the top of the flush mounts to put the nut on the back.(I'd just use long needle nose pliers to put the nut and washer on if I were to do it a again) Then I put the step back in and used long needle nose pliers to hold the nut on top and bottom while I tighten them down. Spliced, soldered, heat shrink, put back in OEM factory sheathing and reinstalled both rear taillights.

Then, second issue came up for me, factory back up lights were a dull yellow compared to the Rigids, so I ordered some new LED's for back ups in the OEM sockets which now are as white as the Rigid's.

While I was at it, I changed my license plate bulbs to LED bulbs as well.

I have about 5 hrs of labor and wiring.

Mark

attachicon.gifback up underneath.jpg

Hell yes, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason is I want the ability to have light behind me for plowing snow. I already replaced the factory reverse and cargo bulbs with LEDs, I think they work fairly nice, but they throw really straight back like a spotlight. I'm hoping to have a little wider path lit up. I don't want to cut the bumper or have lights hanging down below the bumper, but I know those would be alternative options.

Aside from the stock reverse lights being pitiful right out of the gate, I needed to light up behind me for plowing as well, I went with this: http://www.back-upbuddy.com/prod/GG305LED-2.asp

No problem seeing behind me anymore! Installs in nothing flat and lights it up back there like you want!

post-131165-0-70683400-1480331896_thumb.png

, I needed to light up behind me for plowing as well, I went with this: http://www.back-upbuddy.com/prod/GG305LED-2.asp

Yes, I have seen those and I'm certain they make some nice light. But they have the same downfall as other lights mounted below the bumper. What happens to it when you back into a snow pile? I had other small lights mounted below my hitch receiver and I would bust a lens about once a year even trying to be careful.

The back-up buddy will be the first thing to make contact when you approach a snow pile. I wonder how well it holds up.

Well, I can tell you the lights might pivot a bit so all you'd need to do is re-position / re-tighten to suit, but the red lens' mounting is a thick padded seal so it harmlessly depresses into the steel housing when you hit something, so it's not going to brake the lens.

They are built very, very heavy duty and have a 30 day money back guarantee.

I've had mine for going on 3 years now and love them. Plus, it's plenty bright enough back there now that the last thing I worry about is ramming into anything. You'll see what I mean if you get them. I bet you'd totally love them same as me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just installed the Rigid Flush Mount Ignite Series. Provides a lot of light for the sides and the camera. Just thought I'd share with ya..Good luck.

attachicon.gif20161102_175618.jpg

attachicon.gif20161102_115832.jpg

gmdog2, Is there a reason you mounted the light at an angle? Do the lights hit the inner panels behind the steps?

• Like 1

gmdog2, Is there a reason you mounted the light at an angle? Do the lights hit the inner panels behind the steps?

Yes, not a whole lot of room behind there, so in order for nothing to hit, that was the angle that I needed to eliminate any rubbing on the side of the back panel. It also flowed with the angle of the rear step. Hope this helps.

Thanks gmdog2, that's what I figured. I'm going to install mine this weekend.

If possible, could you take some install pics along the way. I really want to do this mod but am still a little unclear about how the step pockets come out/lose to install the light and have never been good at wiring.

Thanks

Edited by 15_silverado
  • Like 1

If possible, could you take some install pics along the way. I really want to do this mod but am still a little unclear about how the step pockets come out/lose to install the light and have never been good at wiring.

Thanks

Bob, I agree that I want to see some more photos, because I am very interested in this mod. But I think the problem is the step pockets don't actually come out. You have to work with them attached to the bumper. He stated in his write-up that he wouldn't have loosened them up to put the nuts on the back if he could just use long nose pliers.

See that right there sold me! I mean, I was sold before but that just re-affirmed it.

Exactly, same here. I was like I'm into it but maybe not right now but after seeing that I'm definitely moving that up on the priority list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'm sorry. I didn't take any pics of the install. You really don't have to remove the steps if you have a some long needle nose pliers. Once you install the light/bolts into the holes, getting the nuts/washers on the back become the challenge. That's were I just finally used long needle nose pliers and the put the washer on, then the nut, then tightened it all down. Run your wires up to your taillights and tap into your reverse lights. As far as wiring, I just use a tester, find the hot and negative, then wire them up..hope this helps.

• Like 1