LED Reverse/ Backup lights in rear bumper step cavity?

Thanks for sharing about them lights, how are they holding up? (I still use my steps, etc) i know they are plenty bright but any trouble with law, etc if i go this route i am thinking about running them on the reverse circuit.

On the other side i am disappointed with gm long story short had a 11ram 1500 stock tail light housings, i put diode dynamics 410 lumens needless to say they were plenty bright could light up my lane on a 2 lane road. (Cargo lights had them to)

FDF3A1F1-836E-48B7-94C7-BC5CA9B07ABC_zps

Put the same bulbs in my chevy (blubs about a year old) and was very disappointed due to the diffused housing.

Need Opinions. I started getting things ready to install my Rigid Ignite lights and I started thinking about the placement. Since I replaced my stock backup bulbs with LED bulbs (which helped) I was thinking about placing the lights on the other surface of the steps where they would shine to the sides. I thought this might help seeing the stuff on my sides since I have tinted windows. Any thoughts???

• Like 1

Not quite the place for this, but I just put in some led license plate lights and today I got an email from big brother OnStar telling me that one or more of my lights might have malfunctioned. Does the BCM really check voltage to the license plate lights too?

Thanks for sharing about them lights, how are they holding up? (I still use my steps, etc) i know they are plenty bright but any trouble with law, etc if i go this route i am thinking about running them on the reverse circuit.

On the other side i am disappointed with gm long story short had a 11ram 1500 stock tail light housings, i put diode dynamics 410 lumens needless to say they were plenty bright could light up my lane on a 2 lane road. (Cargo lights had them to)

FDF3A1F1-836E-48B7-94C7-BC5CA9B07ABC_zps

Put the same bulbs in my chevy (blubs about a year old) and was very disappointed due to the diffused housing.

Lights are doing awesome..I'm a big fan of Rigid. Have them on a lot of my stuff. No problems with the law. Mine are only set to come in reverse. I thought about running a whole another circuit, plus having them wired in to the reverse lights, but didn't. Yes, I agree, the diffused light lens makes things a little harder to get the light out there..

Need Opinions. I started getting things ready to install my Rigid Ignite lights and I started thinking about the placement. Since I replaced my stock backup bulbs with LED bulbs (which helped) I was thinking about placing the lights on the other surface of the steps where they would shine to the sides. I thought this might help seeing the stuff on my sides since I have tinted windows. Any thoughts???

Would that be to the outside? Like I did? Not a whole lot of room behind those steps..I'd be interested in seeing a photo of your placement thoughts. On mine, they do shine to the outside quite a bit due to the angle of step. I have the tinted window issue as well and was one of the main reasons for this mod. Good luck, Ill be looking forward to your install :driving:

Not quite the place for this, but I just put in some led license plate lights and today I got an email from big brother OnStar telling me that one or more of my lights might have malfunctioned. Does the BCM really check voltage to the license plate lights too?

I think GM is CANbus, so the LED's would need to be CANbus to not trigger that message. Might be the issue..Good luck

Lights are doing awesome..I'm a big fan of Rigid. Have them on a lot of my stuff. No problems with the law. Mine are only set to come in reverse. I thought about running a whole another circuit, plus having them wired in to the reverse lights, but didn't. Yes, I agree, the diffused light lens makes things a little harder to get the light out there..

Thank you for the advice.

• Like 1

Purchased a set of these off Amazon. Should be here Thursday. Not sure if I will attempt to install right away but this is what I was looking for to improve my night time visibility while backing up. Should be a lot of fun to have these reverse lights and my cargo lights on my tow mirrors on.

Edited by Arth
  • Like 1

Purchased a set of these off Amazon. Should be here Thursday. Not sure if I will attempt to install right away but this is what I was looking for to improve my night time visibility while backing up. Should be a lot of fun to have these reverse lights and my cargo lights on my tow mirrors on.

Sounds good, we expect a video; like you did for the tow mirrors!?

I'll be waiting patiently, this is definitely a mod I need, I can't see squat backing up and I do mostly night driving so I really need this.

I'd love to do the tow mirrors, but that seems a little too involved for me. I have no problem taking off the door panel and bolting in the mirror but i just wish it could be plug and play to get all features working. Any update on those mirrors you were testing?

• Like 1

I'd like to see when done...I wish I would have gotten the tow mirrors now..

Edited by gmdog2

Well, I can tell you the lights might pivot a bit so all you'd need to do is re-position / re-tighten to suit, but the red lens' mounting is a thick padded seal so it harmlessly depresses into the steel housing when you hit something, so it's not going to brake the lens.

They are built very, very heavy duty and have a 30 day money back guarantee.

I've had mine for going on 3 years now and love them. Plus, it's plenty bright enough back there now that the last thing I worry about is ramming into anything. You'll see what I mean if you get them. I bet you'd totally love them same as me.

Question do you leave your back-up buddy installed year round? I am thinking about picking this up for my parents truck so they can see better while backing up.

Question do you leave your back-up buddy installed year round? I am thinking about picking this up for my parents truck so they can see better while backing up.

I don't leave them on year around but very easily could and probably would, except I usually use the trailer hitch a lot more during the summer. If this one ever needs replacing, I will get the model that you can use while towing and just leave it on year around. They will see almost like it's day time back there with these.