LED Reverse/ Backup lights in rear bumper step cavity?

Thanks OP. I just did the mod myself with a couple changes.

Decided to tap into the trailer wiring instead of each tail light. Grounded to the bolt conveniently located next to the hitch harness. Resulting in only one factory wire tapped into via 3m t tap

Is there any way you could describe the wire that you tapped into on the trailer wiring, I like the idea of only tapping into that one wire, I'm just not sure which one it is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Would this make them come on automatically when put into reverse.

Also how is it working out so far, any problems.

Thanks

Is there any way you could describe the wire that you tapped into on the trailer wiring, I like the idea of only tapping into that one wire, I'm just not sure which one it is. Any help would be much appreciated.

Would this make them come on automatically when put into reverse.

Also how is it working out so far, any problems.

Thanks

No worries, it's the white wire with green stripe. The center pin wire on the trailer wiring receptacle. I used a red t tap and a blue male disconnect so I could fit two 18awg wires one for each light. Same for the ring terminal ground, two leads one per light.

They mirror the factory reverse lights, even when I unlock the truck. Happy with them so far!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

got my kit and went for the install today.. ran into some trouble getting the nut on the backside for the top bolt. I went with the same mounting location as everyone else appears to be doing, just wondering how is everyone getting the nut on that top bolt?

got my kit and went for the install today.. ran into some trouble getting the nut on the backside for the top bolt. I went with the same mounting location as everyone else appears to be doing, just wondering how is everyone getting the nut on that top bolt?

I believe somebody said they used long needle nose pliers to hold it. I'm sure someone will confirm, I haven't done this yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, the tops nuts can be a pita...I used long nose needle pliers to put on washers and nuts. Good luck..

• Like 1

A good stainless button head self tapper would be perfect for the two fastners instead of fighting with nuts and washers.

If I were to do it again I'd go that route.

• Like 1

A good stainless button head self tapper would be perfect for the two fastners instead of fighting with nuts and washers.

If I were to do it again I'd go that route.

That is the way to go. That's what I did was used self tappers and it worked perfect and quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but my GF just bought me a set of these for my birthday. I am not the most mechanical person but I try to be and I'm worried I may mess this up a little, so I have a few questions. How far inward did you put the center of the drilled hole? I want to make sure It's to too far one way or another when I drill the hole to where it will end up butting up against the body of the truck or the bumper itself. Also, to anyone's recollection, what color are the reverse light wires?

Thanks for the insight.

Read a few posts up. White wire with green stripe.

Read through the whole thread again there's some good info with pics that will help you with placement.

Turn the light upside down on a piece of cardboard or paper, trace around it to make yourself a template, to help with placement.

• Like 1

I know this is an old thread, but my GF just bought me a set of these for my birthday. I am not the most mechanical person but I try to be and I'm worried I may mess this up a little, so I have a few questions. How far inward did you put the center of the drilled hole? I want to make sure It's to too far one way or another when I drill the hole to where it will end up butting up against the body of the truck or the bumper itself. Also, to anyone's recollection, what color are the reverse light wires?

Thanks for the insight.

Are you going to wire direct to the reverse lights?

I recommend looking at install pictures to figure out where to mount them using the included template.

c0258659fef7460a32ac14b070c89f69.jpg

This is about as far inward you can go, any more you'll be for sure contacting the bed side. I trimmed mine to give a little more wiggle room. So go further to the outside edge

d57c8b6763d5b758516e3a20bdba1334.jpg

e343870bd557dc04881d01be72cefef6.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I installed 1 led light in each bumper step. I drilled a hole in the center of the step toward the top. Right behind your hitch are a bunch of wires and plugs. I connected both wires to one of the wires that works with the cargo lights and grounded out the others. I forgot which one it was but ill look tomorrow. It works perfect. Never had a problem. I added some pictures below.

attachicon.gif20161014_192431.jpg

attachicon.gif20161014_192353.jpg

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20161014-191544.png

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Older post now. But im thinking of doing this same setup that you have. However i was wondering if you could show how much extra light those little led's throw out the side of the truck? Appreciate the help thanks

im broke but if everyone want to pool some money and get the rigid lights for me i will gladly make a step bye step video with my GOPRO of installation and wiring into reverse lights and a secondary switch in the cab. just thought i would throw it out there :D

im broke but if everyone want to pool some money and get the rigid lights for me i will gladly make a step bye step video with my GOPRO of installation and wiring into reverse lights and a secondary switch in the cab. just thought i would throw it out there :D

You should start a crowd funding website for this :lol:

• Like 2