GMC Sierra All-Terrain X 3rd brake light re-wire after removing stock

The plug is under the driver side right below the stake hole next to the rear glass. Unbolt the sport bar and slide down the bed and you and wiggle the wire to see it from underneath. It's real easy. There's a zip tie you need to cut to allow it to be pulled out. Getting it back down is the hard part. A metal hanger works for that tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed mine using the complex GM instructions printed off for me by the dealer. (Except for the part about taking apart the body connector under the hood, releasing pins and removing wires -so much easier and reversible to simply attach the positive to a piggyback fuse adapter on the CMHSL fuse. This way no more complex disassembly or reconnections/splicing or wiring when I remove the sports bar for install on my '19 Silverado/GMC, just reinsert the original CMHSL fuse

Wouldn't count on a metal hanger to make it easy to reinstall!

Been there, done that with the initial install. Problem is there is no straight run through the bottom of the stake hole to the ground. Installation requires loosening of the gas filler assembly to expose and get clearance to feed through a small hole on the side of the stake hole into the gas filler area and then to exit to the ground without the connector getting hung up. If the bar is already installed, tie a string or flexible wire to the connector before pulling it up through the stake hole so it can be used as a snake to pull the connector back down through the stake hole for reassembly. With a little luck it may work without releasing the gas filler shroud, my guess is the connector will likely get caught up in the tight area behind the gas filler and it will have to be removed anyway.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/20/2016 at 7:56 AM, TxTruckMan said:

I'm not familiar with the All-Terrain X specifically, but I researched this for my wife's Colorado. The addition of the roll bar for the Colorado Trail Boss is a dealer installed package and the bar is just plug and play into the truck harness. You unplug the harness for the 3rd brake light and connect the roll bar in it's place. The dealership let me talk to their prep guys who did the work. I would guess that it's a similar situation with these trucks. You might call your dealer and ask to speak with their prep guys.

did you ever find a fix for this?