WOW even the 2016-17 oem HID/LED headlights are rated poor/marginal

I personally dont think the the 16 slt LED light output is as bad as you guys are making it out to be. I did the conversion on my 14 Sierra and compared to my wife 16 Grand Cherokee/HID the SLT led lights are way brighter. Here's a night pic:

9Bsnb3B.jpg

So you put 16 headlights in a 14? Can you point me to a thread that on what all is involved to do this???

So you put 16 headlights in a 14? Can you point me to a thread that on what all is involved to do this???

I did. If you dont feel like reading through it all. I ditched the harness, cut the factory plug, repinned using the new style plug and they work like oem with the exception of the drl cutting off with the turn signal applied.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/187569-2016-slt-lights-in-1415-sltall-terrain-almost-done/

No, you want them on an independent switch, or a remote switch, for off road use to assure they are never accidentally on with any other vehicle lighting.

Maybe you do, but I sure don't. I'm perfectly capable of dimming my lights for oncoming traffic (as are most other drivers) such that nobody is ever bothered. It's not rocket science.

Hitting deer sucks. The best way to avoid that is to be able to see them when they're far enough away you can slow down in time.

The biggest problem drivers I see are the ones with HID lights (especially super bright aftermarket) which are mal-adjusted (or not adjusted after a leveling kit) such that the cutoff line when dimmed is still above the windshield of oncoming traffic. If I had a nickel for every one of those guys in these parts....

Somebody with aftermarket lights hooked to their brights blinding people because they're driving with their brights on when they shouldn't must be pretty rare because I've never seen it.

I'd have to disagree with this..... I traded my 2015 Sierra for a 2016 Silverado LTZ with LED headlights and its leaps and bounds better than my sierra was. The output is very bright and I can actually light up the side of the road now.

• 2 years later...

My 15 Sierra head light sucked until I adjusted them up a bit.  Then they were fine.  I think the factory aims them in anticipation of a trailer connected or a load in the bed.  My 18 has the LED and are brighter, but I think I will have to aim them up a bit as well.  The driving lights are a big help on both of them.

My 2017 Sierra Denali lights are 'effin' awesome.  Better than most any light set up in any new-ish vehicle I've driven.  Better than my dad's 2018 Ferd, better than my wife's 2016 VW, better than my son's 2015 Subaru, and WAY FREAKIN' BETTER than my neighbors 2018 Tundra.  Just sayin'...

Edited by steve76t
  • Like 1

I have absolutely no complaints about the lights on my 2017 Silverado, better than my 2016 Colorado and WAY better than my 2002 Dakota was in terms of both throw and spill.  The 2017 foglights actually do *something*, which is new in my experience...

I leave for work typically between 1-2am, and have a few miles on a narrow two-lane before getting to the interstate...I've NEVER felt a lack of ability to see what is in front and adjacent to me.

15 hours ago, BoilerUP said:

I have absolutely no complaints about the lights on my 2017 Silverado, better than my 2016 Colorado and WAY better than my 2002 Dakota was in terms of both throw and spill.  The 2017 foglights actually do *something*, which is new in my experience...

I leave for work typically between 1-2am, and have a few miles on a narrow two-lane before getting to the interstate...I've NEVER felt a lack of ability to see what is in front and adjacent to me.

This was one of the first things I noticed too - the fogs are actually useable in these trucks! They are super wide and plenty bright, but most importantly, I can operate them with the low beams off! My old sedan did not have that option for some reason; if you wanted to run the fogs then the low beams had to be on as well, which defeats the purpose for which fog lamps were designed :dunno:

2017 Sierra with OEM HIDs... i’d say the lights are ok.

They are only 25w so they are not as bright as the 35w HIDs we usually see. The high beams are kinda crappy because of that.. not enough light output!

It’s a good thing the fogs are quite bright to compensate!

My wife has a 2016 Hyundai Tucson with projector HIDs. MUCH better than the Sierra...

I am very impressed with the HIDs on my '18 Sierra. The high beams aren't great, but the low beams with the LED fogs on are really nice and light the road very well. I've since been in some high end vehicles with LEDs and HIDs and I believe mine are just as good if not better than those high end vehicles. 

7 hours ago, SouthpawHD said:

I am very impressed with the HIDs on my '18 Sierra. The high beams aren't great, but the low beams with the LED fogs on are really nice and light the road very well. I've since been in some high end vehicles with LEDs and HIDs and I believe mine are just as good if not better than those high end vehicles. 

I agree. The combination is light years ahead of my 2003 and works like ditch lights on a locomotive. You see what you might hit. High beams not the greatest but i haven't had to dodge any owls yet.