Ticking sound from driver foot well when accelerating? 2016 5.3l 8sp

• 3 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 2:49 PM, Beastin said:

I can’t watch the clip you posted but if it’s a ticking noise coming from your footwell while driving then yes! The easiest solution I have come up with since my previously failed attempt with the hose clamp is to buy a can of spray white lithium grease, install the red straw in the spray tip and liberally spray between the steering shaft and steering shaft boot to fill the gap you see in the pic I previously posted. I’ve gone a few days and the noise is completely gone and it’s a super easy non invasive solution. I just wiped off the excess with a rag to give a clean appearance... I’m so happy to have my life back while driving and to know that’s all it takes to cure it when need be. I am still working on a permanent solution and when I get the time I’ll test it out and keep you guys informed on the results.

any updates?  Thanks!

What do you guys think of drilling a small hole through the rubber and the plastic bushing and then adding a zerk fitting?  If I recall the bushing has grooves in it.  When you pump the grease it will be forced around those grooves making a tight seal once again.  The synthetic grease I used is form an old tube my parts man gave me like 15 years ago.  It is industrial and very stick like chewing gum so in bonds to just about anything.  It is rated for high temps, shocks and resits washout.

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2017 at 7:32 PM, MOhunter92 said:

Nope, mine was constantly doing it correlating with throttle. More noticeable in v4 mode cruising but it would increase with throttle. Try climbing under your truck and just bang on that driver side cat, it's a long shot but that's what I did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious if your noise stayed gone? I have the same issue in a 19 Tahoe 

On 2/24/2017 at 12:10 PM, MOhunter92 said:

Well guys, just got my truck back. The noise is gone, I've tried to get it to it several times and it's not there. The tech and I looked along the entire exhaust and there was no sign of any leaking. What he did do is replace my steering shaft for a funny noise it was making, that's about it. When I was underneath the truck, I hit the driver side cat several times with my fist to see if I could hear anything loose inside it, that's the only thing I did.

I couldn't believe driving it home not hearing a damn rattlesnake coming from my footwell. It might come back, who knows but all I do know is this truck has made the sound since it had a few hundred miles and I have 10K now still doing it until this most recent visit to the dealer. Just thought I would share and tell you guys knock on your driver side cat a little bit and see if that does anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/PIP5570A this came out in 2018. I bet the steering shaft is what fixed yours! 

On 1/14/2019 at 10:57 PM, Rydog28 said:

Same issue on my 2018 Z71 with 4,000 miles.  Dealership heard the noise but doesn’t have a fix.  I still think it’s exhaust related near the drivers seat.  I’m going to hit that cat  tomorrow to see if it stops.  Very frustrating since my buddies truck sounds perfect.   Any solutions please hit me up.  The random ticking/rattlesnake sound can’t me normal!

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/PIP5570A

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2019 at 3:56 PM, Coledtaylor said:

Is this the same sound everyone is referring too?  

What did we agree on the solution being?

The dealer said they fixed it but they didn’t and I’m so sick of this noise!

955DE94E-B3CB-4990-B42A-C6288AC31B00.MOV

Sounds like mine...did you find a fix..it happens every time i accelerate and most noticable when maintaining a cruising speed and lightly pressing throttle happens louder in v4 but continues into v8 only stops when releasing throttle...not impressed

Hey Everyone,

take a look at the above thread (I posted a few photos). I replaced my boot and added grease July 9th, 2020 and no noise since. IMO the issue is where the boot meets the firewall. My factory installed boot had a good amount of white adhesive in certain spots pinching the rubber flaps preventing a proper seal. Caution to those thinking about adding grease with a gun/syringe, adding too much may cause the grease to go behind the firewall!

Best of luck!

• 2 years later...
On 5/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, Beastin said:

I drive a 2018 Sierra cc SLT 5.3, this is the second new GMC I’ve bought, my first being a 2016 dc SLE 5.3.  After roughly 2000 miles of driving my 2016 I started hearing the DI system “tick” coming through the drivers side foot well, I’m a 10 year diesel tech and my gut told me it was an exhaust leak... after 6 trips to the dealer 6 loaners hp fuel line tsb’s performed and everything exhaust related gone through with a fine thoothed comb this issue was still present. I’m a quiet type of driver most of the time, I enjoy reflecting on what the work day will bring while listening to every sweet sound of a fine working machine while Im driving to work. This noise freaking drove me nuts!!!!!! Finally after 8 months of crossing the 2000 mile mark I had spent hundreds of hours scouring forums and I ran across a guy that had an engineer come to his dealer verify the noise and instruct the replacement of the drivers side exhaust manifold and the steering shaft boot, so I asked my service advisor if he would replace the boot on my truck and he agreed... noise was gone for about a month then came back intermittently.. if it hit a certain bump it would start. I’m now a 35000 miles on my 2018 and the noise has started... after going this long I thought they had updated the boot and fixed the issue!! I am so happy after reading some forums to see that GM has recognized this issue!!  I had found the TSB and read it over earlier this evening and I decided I climb under the hood of my truck and try to find where the defect of the boot is or in other words where the gap was at that is allowing engine noise into the cab, I found that instead of updating to a positive lock seal (lip seal) like found on an engine crankshaft or a rear end pinion seal they used an o ring of sort made into the boot that is roughly .030 larger than the steering shaft WTF!!!!!!! Their update to get you out of warranty was to pack it with lithium grease like you guys are doing and let er bump... good for about 30000 miles. I will include pics of mine inside and out untouched factory condition and you can see the air gap where the lithium grease has give way to mileage and allowed the noise to intrude into the cab.. with all this bad news I believe I have conjured a solution in my discontent, tomorrow I’m going to install a hose clamp around the o ringed portion of the boot where you see the air gap in my pic to effectively shrink the seal to the size it should have been manufactured. I will give an update on the results, good luck to you guys, I feel your pain!  

D3C335BC-393F-416E-ABA3-B0F6AB98777E.png

You’re a beautiful soul sir, checked my 2018 Sierra and it’s looser than all hell