Assessing a used 3500 8.1

Hi guys, I had a lot of trouble creating an account here this week (my own fault I had the wrong email) so I'll try to make this quick. Looking for a bit of help or any advice.

Me I am a Tacoma guy and love my truck. Its a 4 cylinder 5 speed 4x4 and I get some good use out of it. I also own an Outlander max atv (860lbs and 8 feet long) and a new 16 foot 3500 lb camper. The truck pulls my camper but its hard on it sometimes, and theres no way I can ever bring my ATV camping or anywhere because the GVWR is too low so it just sits in my garage when we camp every weekend.

I have been searching for used Silverado/Sierras for the last 6 months and think I found one I want. I only want a 2wd (I live in Nova Scotia and winters are bad but I wont be driving it in the winter), a big motor, and the ability to tow a massive amount over what I need because I like the safety and ease of towing on the weekends.

-

Here is the truck I found. 2003 3500 Silverado dually 2wd with the 8.1L and 143 000 kms ( 89 000 miles). I went and took a look and it looks in great shape, only thing I was skeptical about was that it has 5th wheel rails on the bed and was obviously used to tow most of its life. Its an american truck and no rust what so ever but does anyone think I should be worried about that motor/tranny being used to tow a 5th wheel for that many miles?

-

My plan for the truck is put maybe 3000-5000 kms a year, only when camping or biking. So if its in good condition I think I can keep it well for a few year before I buy a new truck. I need to get about 2-3 years out of it as by then I will have built the house I am starting now and have it paid off, and I will be able to buy whatever truck I want.

Here is the link to the add of the truck. Any help is great, this site has a lot of great info and I enjoy being a part of it

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?requestSource=b&adId=1211204055

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The truck you have there was used exactly what it was built for. The 8.1 is a big block and loves to tow. That is alot of truck for what you looking to do though. Do you really need a dually to move a quad? If you say you really want have at it.

Well the problem is I need something more then a 1500 because with what we tow all together is at or over the GVWR on all of them. Thats why I turned to a 3/4 or 1 ton when looking and this one seems cheap. Here in NS a 2wd does not have the value a 4x4 ever does because of our winters, thats why its a bit cheaper. Just really wondering about the motor. I forgot to add it did have a bit of squeal from the fan belt when driving a bit, not sure if it was just the belt or the tensioner like a lot of posts here have said

"Heavily undercoated" , but when?, after it got rusty, and the re seller wanted to cover it all up? Take a GOOD, real good look at the ABS brake unit inside the frame under the drivers seat.

Get the transmission serviced..

check the 'LIP" on the bottom of the rockers,, the whole length...'

check the spare tire mount system for ROT, see if it works, what does it look like with tire down? IS spare rim even serviceable?

These are things that would make me look into it more... before shelling out 10K on a 2wd truck...

Good luck!

Thanks. I checked the body and rockers/underneath very well when I was there and it's in excellent condition. Did not check the tire though good idea. It's 10k Canadian remember so 7500us. I thought that was a decent price for what it is or am I wrong? The whole body was in such good shape where it usually is not ( I had a 2000 silverado and remember) so I was happy. Thanks for the tips

10k for that truck is pretty reasonable, particularly for the miles it has. the 8.1 is going to suck down the gas.

I would suggest checking the brake lines if they need to be replaced. In particular, where 4 lines run from the M.C./front brakes along the frame between the driver's side front wheel to the ABS module under the truck directly below the drivers seat. The lines tend to rust along there, as well as where the rear line passes along the frame behind the gas tank. If they look like they have anything more than surface rust, replace them. You don't want them blowing while you are towing.

If your primary use is going to be hauling and towing at the same time, I think a dually will provide some stability. It should work really well for that, and you won't really have to worry about overloading it.

I'm a big fan of the 8.1.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Real good advice on here....

I would say look at all the fluids (coolant, oil, and tranny fluid, especially since it has been used to tow) but that's pretty obvious stuff.

As said, look at the brake lines and rocker panels.

I have a 2001 2500HD with the 6.0 gas motor. I bought it from my grandfather a year ago, and he bought it new in 2001. It's had a 5th wheel on it it's whole life, basically it's only purpose was to pull his big camper.

Right now it has 114,000 miles and still runs like a champ. He had the tranny flushed at 50,000 and 100,000 miles. Still feels as strong as it ever has.

The 8.1 dually would easily do what you want, but it would be over kill. I think a 2500HD with the 6.0 would be PLENTY for your application. But if the deal is as good as it sounds, I'd go for the 8.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I agree a 2500 with a 6L would be better and thats what I have been searching but I just cant find the right one. Theres another one I also looked at recently with the 6L and its 4x4 that I like. I just didnt like that it was a crew cab long box.

With my Tacoma I put redline mt-90 in the tranny, amsoil 75w90 in the transfer case and both diffs, change all the filters regularly, flush the coolant and flush the brake fluid/power steering fluid more then needed. I plan on doing all this to the truck as well and love doing my own maintenance so i'll do as much as possible this winter when I have time.

Im going to check the few spots you guys mentioned again when I see it but it all looked near mint. I figured it would because theres no driving a 2wd truck in the winter up here so it was likely stored.

Heres the other truck I was interested in and might go see but its a good 4 hours away from me. Think I should make the trip?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/GMC/2500+Pickup/HAZELBROOK/Prince+Edward+Island/19_9847919_/?ursrc=hlp&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made the decision and I'm buying the dually. Can't wait. Have the whole winter to learn about it and do some maintanence. Things I have in mind

- oil change

-gear oil change

-tranny fluid change (or flush not sure?)

-coolant change

-brake/power steering fluid flush

-Change all filters

-grease everything I can

-whack the fluid film to their underneath

-Thinking about removing the 5th wheel rails because I'll never use them

---

Going to be looking over this place of a few things.

-Bit of a squeal from the belt somewhere. I imagine it's a bearing or the belt. Never changed the bearing before but I need to do the same with my Tacoma (ever since I washed the engine Bay so I'm guessing it's the belt on that thing)

- I read here that the rear box sides are extremely expensive. On the passenger side by the tailgate is a small piece broke. I mean I don't care about it but if I can ever fix it easy I would try. Any suggestions?

- is there anything in the front end I should look at that might need attention? I'm not sure if the 2wd is the same as the 4x4 so I don't know what I would need to do.

Well I made the decision and I'm buying the dually. Can't wait. Have the whole winter to learn about it and do some maintanence. Things I have in mind

- oil change

-gear oil change

-tranny fluid change (or flush not sure?)

-coolant change

-brake/power steering fluid flush

-Change all filters

-grease everything I can

-whack the fluid film to their underneath

-Thinking about removing the 5th wheel rails because I'll never use them

---

Going to be looking over this place of a few things.

-Bit of a squeal from the belt somewhere. I imagine it's a bearing or the belt. Never changed the bearing before but I need to do the same with my Tacoma (ever since I washed the engine Bay so I'm guessing it's the belt on that thing)

- I read here that the rear box sides are extremely expensive. On the passenger side by the tailgate is a small piece broke. I mean I don't care about it but if I can ever fix it easy I would try. Any suggestions?

- is there anything in the front end I should look at that might need attention? I'm not sure if the 2wd is the same as the 4x4 so I don't know what I would need to do.

My thoughts....First GRATS!! < now to the Bullet points...

1. Check the rear axle brake backing plates. These are an IDEAL spot to use "Fluid Film"

2. The noise.. More than likely the "Upper" belt " tensioner ". These like to go bad from sitting , more than running. Not expensive and easy fix.

3. The 4L80E ... Pop off the cover ( 2 bolts are a bit tough to get at) and drain and change the filter.. RE USE THE ORIGINAL GASKET. I cannot stress

this enough. The original is Metal reinforced Rubber and it works very well. The aftermarket is folded up thin gasket material.

While its Drained, you "MAY" want to consider a Trans cooler UPGRADE. Its easy to pop out the headlights and grille and change it. Best to do it while fluid is drained.. about 50 dollars (USD) will get you a great B&M super cooler) Keeping the tranny under 200 will make it last and last.... The 4L80E was updated in 04, so keeping yours from heating will sure help a lot.

4. Bed side, you talking about the "glass" should be an easy fix...

5. front end.. I usually remove the anti sway bar and use waterproof grease on the bushings. Make sure the disc brake calipers actually can slide back and forth on the rotor and are not bound up. . They slide on the bolts that retain them.

Pic of the trans cooler updatepost-142629-0-64627300-1479258764_thumb.jpgpost-142629-0-11648700-1479258793_thumb.jpg

post-142629-0-64627300-1479258764_thumb.jpg

post-142629-0-11648700-1479258793_thumb.jpg

My thoughts....First GRATS!! < now to the Bullet points...

1. Check the rear axle brake backing plates. These are an IDEAL spot to use "Fluid Film"

2. The noise.. More than likely the "Upper" belt " tensioner ". These like to go bad from sitting , more than running. Not expensive and easy fix.

3. The 4L80E ... Pop off the cover ( 2 bolts are a bit tough to get at) and drain and change the filter.. RE USE THE ORIGINAL GASKET. I cannot stress

this enough. The original is Metal reinforced Rubber and it works very well. The aftermarket is folded up thin gasket material.

While its Drained, you "MAY" want to consider a Trans cooler UPGRADE. Its easy to pop out the headlights and grille and change it. Best to do it while fluid is drained.. about 50 dollars (USD) will get you a great B&M super cooler) Keeping the tranny under 200 will make it last and last.... The 4L80E was updated in 04, so keeping yours from heating will sure help a lot.

4. Bed side, you talking about the "glass" should be an easy fix...

5. front end.. I usually remove the anti sway bar and use waterproof grease on the bushings. Make sure the disc brake calipers actually can slide back and forth on the rotor and are not bound up. . They slide on the bolts that retain them.

Pic of the trans cooler updateattachicon.gifortranscooler.jpgattachicon.gifntc.jpg

On a truck, didn't the they have Allison transmission and 8.1 SUVs had the 4L85E

Thanks a lot. Have to check the brakes and everything close there for sure. I was thinking the front away bar too because I was under my Tacoma last month spraying fluid film and looking it over too.

So you think the plastic on their box is an easy fix or just being sarcastic? Haha, I know a new panel is like 1k easy but I would rather try fixing it or just leave it.

Also I think it has the Allison transmission not the 40l80. I searched and it said that all the trucks with the 8.1 came with the Allison and said that you can notice the big red filter on it and I checked and there was a massive filter on the drivers side of it. Might be wrong because I'm new to GM HD trucks but it made sense

Archived