Chasenfins

No airbag deployment!!!

2010 Chevy Equinox.... 45-50mph direct frontal impact and no airbag deployment! And worse... I'm being told nothing can be done about it unless there was death or serious bodily injury or disfigurement. Is this what we can really expect from GM products now? I'd love to post a picture of it but it will not allow me yet

Direct frontal impact with what? Another vehicle, animal, person? Was the other object moving as well. Toward or away from you?

There are thresholds the impact has to meet in order for the air bags to fire. The impact also has to be detected by one of the sensors. If it wasn't close enough to one they wont fire.

With another vehicle the entire front-end is bashed in. If somebody could post a pic for me on here that would be great I can text or email it to anyone. It's not giving me the option

Edited by Chasenfins

You need to upload the pic to a host like photobucket, etc. Then insert the image into this thread in a post.

I am a firefighter and I see wrecks on a daily bases just about. There is no reason why this airbag should have not deployed. Both of them should have actually in the front the way the impact is.

Looks like the other vehicle was a good bit higher then yours. Majority of damage seem to be high above the rad support and to the passenger side.

Its possible the impact sensor didn't pick it up, GM tends to mount the front sensors low, usually underneath the rad somewhere in the front.

• Like 1

I was going to say the same thing. I also think the sensors are in behind the bumper (plastic) which seems to be well preserved.

Impact sensors don't need an impact. It's about rate of deceleration.

How was the car car actually going maybe 15? No 40-50 mph crash is going to look like that. Seems like someone is exaggerating.

That looks exactly like my brothers cruze when he rear ended a dump truck at 10 mph

That's one tall vehicle to have hit...any serious bodily injury or disfigurement? Hands and fingers work still since this post does exist...I've seen deer do that sort of damage before. Looks like you hit a semi trailer or box truck.

Impact Sensors

This vehicle contains 6 impact sensors. The 6 impact sensors are located in the front of the vehicle (2, left and right), and the 4 doors. To view the locations of the impact sensors refer to SIR Identification Views. The impact sensors contain a sensing device which monitors vehicle acceleration and velocity changes to detect side collisions that are severe enough to warrant air bag deployment. The impact sensors are not part of the deployment loop, but instead provide input to the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module.

The Inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module contains a microprocessor that performs calculations using the measured accelerations and compares these calculations to a value stored in memory. When the generated calculations exceed the stored value, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module will cause current to flow through the deployment loops deploying the appropriate air bags.

Edited by 15HDriver

First off I'm don't appreciate someone implying I would lie about my wife getting hit. Second it was on hwy 74 in Columbus County NC so if u'd like the police report uploaded as well then that's no problem. Third it was an F250 she hit, at approximately 45-50 mph while trying to dodge a logging truck that merged over ontop of both of them and the driver she hit reported the same. Lastly, the insurance company actually paid an investigator to look into it and they found that when the new engine that was installed last January was put in, there was a harness left unplugged and the body controller and ECM show it via download. So... In short, the dealership is now paying it off to avoid a lawsuit and check was cut today. Thanks for all ur interesting thoughts and good luck to you all.

If something in the SRS system was unplugged, there'd of been a warning light. But regardless, glad things worked out.

Lastly, the insurance company actually paid an investigator to look into it and they found that when the new engine that was installed last January was put in, there was a harness left unplugged and the body controller and ECM show it via download. So... In short, the dealership is now paying it off to avoid a lawsuit and check was cut today. Thanks for all ur interesting thoughts and good luck to you all.

So you've been driving around in a car that should have had a BUNCH of warning lights on? BCM and ECM talk non stop to eachother. How was the car running in the first place?