New 2016 Tahoe LTZ vibration issue

Hey man, good for you.  The real test is when you begin to lose rubber on those tire or have them rotated and balanced, but the whole issue is still an enigma.  I have been running the same factory 20" tires and wheels for just about 4 years with regular rotations and balancing and never had an issue.  The tires still look like they have another 2 yrs of tread left, go figure.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought a 2017 Tahoe and have the same vibration and buffeting issues.  Already took it back to the dealer once and they said tires are fine and changed the muffler due to the bulletin.  Still has a noticeable vibration though.  Going to sit down with them this week to discuss the vibration and buffeting (posted this in the other 'booming and buffeting thread too).

From what I'm reading, the possible fixes to the vibrations are:

-go to 20" Michelins (I currently have 22" rims.  Tried going down to 30 PSI which helped but still noticeable at times)

-turn magnetic ride off

-RFB down to 10

Any others I'm missing.  Between the vibrations and buffeting, this is the worst riding car I've ever had (along with the most expensive).  Hopefully they will agree to try some of these things

I feel for you. Huge disappointment in buying a new vehicle. Especially since you are obviously very excited to get it, because you chose it over the competition, and paid all that money for it! I was in your exact situation.

If I had to do it again, I would have returned the vehicle and started a legal proceeding to get my money back after they wouldn't deliver me an acceptable vehicle - no more than 2 weeks. Then go buy a new Expedition or Navigator. Or Toyota, Lexus or Infinity. GM has a lot of work to do to fix their: vehicles, manufacturing process, parts suppliers, and dealers. What a mess. The whole "Chevy Shake" in their pickup line is a disaster.

If your dealer isn't taking you seriously, phone GM corporate direct and tell them you want an 'Executive Escalation'. You get to people who will work on your behalf to get it fixed right.

If you have Desert Duellers, they need to be Road Force Balanced to under 10 lbs. The Duellers are defective but GM probably contracted for millions of them. It takes forever and dealers/mechanics don't like wasting the time searching through 20 tires to find 4 acceptable ones, but that is what it took on mine. (took the dealer the better part of a week to do it as each tire takes about 60-90 mins to tell if it's good or not!).

Turning off magnetic ride seems like you're willing to accept that one of the Tahoe's most advanced systems (and costly) doesn't work.

I wouldn't accept airing down the Duellers - it reduces the load you can carry. I bought my Yukon because of it's towing capacity - I'm not willing to compromise on that. Otherwise I would have bought a unibody 7 passenger SUV with more interior cargo space.

If you're going to keep the vehicle and the vibration is focused on the wheels I would recommend these 3 options:

- Get them to RFB below 10 (20 tires to get 4)

- Tell the dealer to take a set of 20''s off a truck on the lot and drive it around and see if the vibration goes away. Then you can decide if you want to pursue getting your $3200 back for the 22" upgrade and sticking with the 20"s.

- Argue for them to put Michellins on your 22" - maybe there's some compromise they're willing to do

I wish you the best of luck.

• 8 months later...

Hi Everyone, So on Aug 31st I purchased a Yukon XL SLT, 2WD with 20's and it came with Continentals. Within days of having the vehicle i noticed a vibration. It's a low vibration which becomes very pronounced at highway speeds. The vehicle doesn't shake just vibrates.. The dealer initially said the tired weren't balance. Great! I gave it a couple of days and took back the following week witht he same issue. A Road Force Balance was performed and the dealer said though the mechanic doesn't feel anything out of the norm.... One of the tires has 22lbs of even though the limit is 40lbs. I was told the vehicle was probably parked for a while in their lot before it was sold.  Really? They took me for that guy? LOL...  I kept my cool and requested to change my tire. At this point the Yukon now has 500 miles, the dealer had it for 2 days and the loaner was a short body Yukon with the same problem. I was hoping the loaner would ride much smoother for comparison. This is now Friday 9/21/18 and The family and I are going to Disney (240 miles away). I told the Service adviser i don't want issues with this vibration. He and the mechanic said to drive it about 1k miles and the wheels will reshape themselves LOL! again i told myself, these people must take me for some idiot. I wasn't about to argue since you get no where by simply being pissed.  Today i took the Yukon to a wheel & rim shop, i paid for an RFB because i wanted a second opinion.  The owner allowed me to witness the RFB being performed.   This shop owner said for these specs up to 40lbs is acceptable but he said 10lbs is ideal because these ranges are so far off.

Tires:

RF 25 lbs

LR 22 lbs

FR 13 lbs

LL 13 lbs

Clearly i immediately notice two tires are way above the others. My next step is going back to the dealer to request the tires to be swapped. I rented a Yukon XL last Christmas and I loved it!. The ride was sooo smooth.. Now it's like a $70k crappy overcooked piece of steak with a bad after taste that just won't away. 

Has anyone had these issues with a 2018 model?

Here is a video i took this weekend..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1veb8hmqfj7gEpoz84pjQffEukwCCOtok

• 1 month later...

I read in another forum of someone lowering the rear by an inch or two at the same time shortening the MRS sensor bar to match, he says having more weight on the springs allowed the suspension to travel up/dwn more providing a more stable/smoother ride while still allowing the MRS to function. This coincides with a decent amount of Silverado LTZ owners claiming to add weight to the bed of the truck provided a better ride which in the same concept would allow the shock/spring to bounce more and absorb the road better