In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Debra in Cali

Tows like a dream

Last Thursday picked up our new 5th wheel. The monster was a bit intimidating when we hitched it up. I was a bit stressed at first, but settled in quickly. The new trailer is only about 7 feet (overall) longer that our old conventional trailer. So I wasn't stressing about the length. But it is a lot taller. A lot.

Having the Z71 package, we thought that it was going to level it out with the weight of the trailer on the rear axles. Nope, it still has its butt in the air by several inches. This rocked the 5er back and put too much weight on the rear axle. We are going to take the truck and trailer to a frame shop and have them level it. We are thinking that we can accomplish it by bringing the rear of the trailer up a few inches, which would force the weight toward the other axle as well as to the truck rear axle. The front of the trailer is about 8 inches taller in the front than it is in the rear.

We had air bags installed, which helped immensely with the chucking issue.

Pulled several mountain passes bringing it home. We had no problems passing, accelerating, stopping or steering.

The tow mirror could be a bit wider on the right side. We are going to need to add a fisheye on the edge of the tow mirror, just to make it safer to move into the right lane. We added a Furion observation camera to the rear of the trailer, but it needs to be adjusted or it is not what they claim it is, for seeing traffic behind you. It is great for backing into the storage or the campground.

Hmm. Posted this in the Duramax thread. While I did not explicitly mention that this is a Duramax engine, it is.

And .......the fuel milage was incredible considering the weight that it was pulling, and the mountain passes that it negotiated.

It's posted in the 1500 thread, I can move it

What are the dimensions and weights of your new 5er?

These HD trucks are made to pull. Took mine (gasser) out west this summer and it pulled amazingly well.

It weight dry is 12,000. Max is 15,000. But we are not going to fill it up. I will weigh it before the next trip. I figure that it will weigh about 13-13.5 max. I don't have to have a lot of stuff. If we start getting close to the 14 mark, stuff is going to start coming back out.

It made for living in full time, so it is set up for a dishwasher, washer/dryer, solar panels and a generator. We might do solar, but the weight will be the deciding factor. We will be installing a small generator. I am not planning on filling the water tank unless we absolutely have to, same with traveling with the black and grey tanks being full. I figure that it might top out to 14 with the solar, generator and a full tank of water.

It is 34 feet 11 inches from pinbox to bumper. Height is 13 feet 3 inches. But I think that it is a bit more with the issues mentioned above. We put it into our covered storage this morning. I cannot remember how high the covering is, but we squeaked it in. I think that we only had about 2-3 inches of clearance between the AC unit and the support beam. I was sure that we were going to damage the AC. I just about needed CPR while hubby was backing it in. I am the main driver, but after some heated words while backing the trailer in, I decided to let him find out how "easy" it was. There is only about 12 inches of clearance on either side of the storage frame, if you get it dead center. He did apologize; after numerous attempts he realized it was harder than it looked when driving vs guide.

I made him stop and go up the ladder ( twice ) when the AC unit got close to the frame to see if it would make it.

Friend bought a used 5er that had the washer & dryer. Out they came & he converted the space to storage.

Friend bought a used 5er that had the washer & dryer. Out they came & he converted the space to storage.

Our trailer is set up for, but doesn't have the DW, W & D, etc.

• Like 1

If the water tank is in front of the axles, carrying some will help with the pin weight if you need that. And my family likes to use the trailer instead of some of those "nice" rest stops.

Carrying about 3-400 lbs of water for me in my toy hauler (tt), is maybe 1/2 mpg if that. And it is really hard to tell the difference with the DMAX.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Edited by HeliMark

Last Thursday picked up our new 5th wheel. The monster was a bit intimidating when we hitched it up. I was a bit stressed at first, but settled in quickly. The new trailer is only about 7 feet (overall) longer that our old conventional trailer. So I wasn't stressing about the length. But it is a lot taller. A lot.

Having the Z71 package, we thought that it was going to level it out with the weight of the trailer on the rear axles. Nope, it still has its butt in the air by several inches. This rocked the 5er back and put too much weight on the rear axle. We are going to take the truck and trailer to a frame shop and have them level it. We are thinking that we can accomplish it by bringing the rear of the trailer up a few inches, which would force the weight toward the other axle as well as to the truck rear axle. The front of the trailer is about 8 inches taller in the front than it is in the rear.

We had air bags installed, which helped immensely with the chucking issue.

Pulled several mountain passes bringing it home. We had no problems passing, accelerating, stopping or steering.

The tow mirror could be a bit wider on the right side. We are going to need to add a fisheye on the edge of the tow mirror, just to make it safer to move into the right lane. We added a Furion observation camera to the rear of the trailer, but it needs to be adjusted or it is not what they claim it is, for seeing traffic behind you. It is great for backing into the storage or the campground.

This will help when switching lanes. Its for chevy and gmc. When you use your turn signal right or left the camera image will show on your screen. Just installed it on my 1500 and works great. You can get it at your local dealer for 1000$ or shopchevyparts is selling it for 799$ till the end of the month i believe. If you search intellihaul on youtube it will show you videos how to install it and it working after install.

http://m.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/trailering-enhancements-for-2016-sierra.html

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

That is just a link to GMC?

Type in intellihaul gmc on google and click the link at the top of the page or type in intellihaul on youtube. Its a camera system that goes under your tow mirrors. Its also for silverados

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Gotcha...that is a pretty cool option.

tnj 54321

Since we already have an observation camera on the back of the trailer, I want to work with that and see if I can make that work, before I go buying another camera system.