2017 Tahoe Premier noise in cabin same as others

51 minutes ago, hjustin9 said:

Just bought a 2017 Tahoe and have the same issues with 'buffeting' and 'booming'.  Took it back right away and they said tires (22") are fine but did change the muffler due to the bulletin.  Thought it was in my head because nobody else noticed it.  After reading these posts it clearly is an issue and I cringe every time we go somewhere now.

I am going to sit down with the dealer this week and present the fixes listed in this thread to him.  Somethings got to change or I'm going to go crazy sitting in my $70K vehicle any longer and probably trade it off for something else.  Here are the fixes presented so far:

-Change to 20" Michelin tires

-RFB down to 10

-Exhaust dampeners and/or weights

-Shut off AFM

-Put roof cross bars on and jam inserts in between them and the roof (not real fired up about that option)

Any others I may have missed?

I tried the 22" rims and went down to 30 PSI which did help the vibrations but I don't think helped the buffeting.  Nor did the muffler replacement

Like you I had severe booming with 20" Conti tires in a '16 Denali   If dealers behaved like my dealer, they will plead ignorance to everything and say it functions "within spec".  I tried bringing up the exhaust dampeners and even the part number and once you reference a forum posting, they will mumble "well, that can't be believed", "people can write anything on the internet", etc.  Good luck, you're on your own.

The only two reasonable options I had were to 1) screw around with various fixes to a $70k vehicle that should not have these problems or 2) sell it and sing from the mountaintops to everyone who will listen to stay the hell away from GM products.  I chose option 2 and now drive an Audi Q7 and love it.  I cringe every time I think about all the booming I endured, especially this time of year, and rejoice in the fact that I no longer need to worry about it. 

Sorry, this crappy engineering issue just sucks for customers.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my 2015 Suburban in for an oil change last week and thought I would bring up the vibrating with them AGAIN...even though our Burb has 80k on it now.  I complained about the vibrating of my vehicle at 77+ mph that has been a problem since it was brand new, and is documented in their notes because I brought it in several times to have it looked at and they even put new tires on it at one point to try and fix it/appease me.  It never fixed it.  Because one time they kept for about a week I never left it with them again because it was to much of a hassle to drive across town to drop it off and pick up and to be given a smaller vehicle for my wife to drive around with 2 kids to get in and out.  When I first was complaining about the vibrating the dealership service people denied that they knew this was an issue in the newer generation GM Full size SUV's back when we bought it brand new.  Despite the growing complaints online on GM forums, new stories on major networks and people returning their vehicles, they continued to deny that it was an issue.  Now that there seem to be some possible remedies (newer wheel bushings and a new exhaust in a service bulletin to help with booming buffering noise in cabin) that I brought up to my service rep on Friday, he said they would not be fixing them for free (now that warrenty up and 80k miles) and really wasn't interesting in entertaining fixing the issues at all. I told him I might be possibly interesting in paying to have it fixed myself even though I shouldn't because GM sold me (and thousand others) a defective 60k vehicle and didn't have any possible fixes until my warranty ran out,  and I want to enjoy driving the vehicle at highway speeds.  Instead I was told, "All manufactures have issues and sometimes you just have to deal with it".  This was the first time that it was at least acknowledged that these SUV's have the vibrating/booming issue I described after 3 years of complaining about it!!!!  And that was it and he was ready for me to leave.  Seems to me GM wants to sweep this problem under the rug.  Ive always been a GM/Chevy fan and always thought I would drive one.  Not sure if when I go to purchase next time I will entertain purchasing a Chevy and definitely not from Cable Dahmer of Kansas City.  Nice people, but have zero interest in making things right for you.

Note, if anyone at GM is reading this, go back and look at my same complaints from a couple years ago on here...same problem, nothing fixed.

Edited by BigDog88

• 6 months later...

Thank you all. I was about to buy a 2015 LTZ or a Yukon XL they both did this and I heard it. It bugged me but the sales guy was talking so I thought it was in my head. I have driven an 09 Ram 1500 for 7 years and sold it for something bigger. It rhode great but the transfer case was going out and caused rogue vibrations. The last thing I would want is to throw down 40k and find out I have this buffeting business. I might just buy a 2014 or older instead. It works out nice as I was dreading the payments anyway. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...