In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Rvduck

Heated steering wheel is awesome.

It would be nice if it did come on with the remote start but it really heats up quickly and just makes that leather feel so nice. On the remote start, I used to use the OnStar app, now I like the My Chevrolet app even better for starting the truck, onlocking and other things. Often I want to open the cab or unlock the tailgate and my keys are in the house but my smartphone is always with me.

The heated seats and steering wheel are supposed to come on when you remote start a 2016. However, they are not very warm and there are no lights indicating they are working. It's in the settings somewhere. Don't remember where off hand but I checked mine and both options were turned on.

Hmmm...I'll have to check mine. Don't remember seeing the option to turn the wheel on...only the seats.

Hmmm...I'll have to check mine. Don't remember seeing the option to turn the wheel on...only the seats.

my 15 is for seats ONLY (click Heated and or Cooled) in setting

and mine and some friends are NOT turning on with remote start with the settings on "ON"

not interested in going back to the dealer so I just turn it on when I get in the truck - no big deal

The heated seats and steering wheel are supposed to come on when you remote start a 2016. However, they are not very warm and there are no lights indicating they are working. It's in the settings somewhere. Don't remember where off hand but I checked mine and both options were turned on.

Personalization menu from the radio.

(not the DIC)

Edited by redwngr

Hmmm maybe the heated steering wheel heating in remote start is a feature added to the later 2016 models and the 2017's? My truck was built in January 2016 and only the heated seats come on during remote start. There is no separate option in the menu for the heated steering wheel just the heated seats and cooled seats??? What about the 2017's can anyone verify?

Note: This 2016 heated seat system is better than my 2014 was, these seats actually get Warm (Not Hot) in remote start on the 2014 it was barely noticeable if any heat in remote start. After inserting the key the seats get Hot very quickly. I am pleased with the seats operation but steering wheel is cold and you have to push a button LOL. Next time I trade up I am sure that everything will be completely automated (maybe even self driving) I can hardly wait

Edited by MyFavTruck

I checked also and confirmed seats only. There is no option for the steering wheel. This is a '16 that was built in Feb.

16 and 17 manuals both just cal for seats to heat during remote start.

For sure my 15 and 16 both heat the seats, but not the steering.

What a shame. As long as you don't have a manicure.

• Like 1

New member here. Like the heated steering wheel except that it only heats the leather grips. The dam plastic stays cold on those chilly morns. I don't always have my hand on the padded part...

I love mine but I'm wondering if the heat will prematurely wear out the leather?

Might save it!!! But I still prefer the grip of a cold steering wheel, makes you feel alive when you start to shiver....

Edited by Coby7

I love mine but I'm wondering if the heat will prematurely wear out the leather?

I used the heated leather seats on my 08 LTZ all the time and when I traded it on my 2016 HC, last year, the seats were in excellent shape so GM has been putting good leather seats in thier vehicles for at least that long.

I remember seeing GM vehicles a few years older than my 08 with real baggy, crappy looking leather seats.

I also checked my settings and the heated steering wheel can not be programmed to come on with the remote start but to me it is a non issue as the heat comes on in about 30 seconds. My 16 was a factory order and I have had it 1 full year now, only issues were 2 recalls, a locknut on the brake pedal and a computer reboot on the passenger air bags.

Here on the West Coast of Canada we are having the coldest winter in 30 years and that heated steering wheel is by far the best upgrade on my new truck. I took my wife's 15 Mazda 3 GT for a spin yesterday. It has a very nice leather steering wheel that is slightly larger at the 10:00 and 2:00 positions which I really like but darn, that leather was cold on my old hands. These old paws have laid bricks and pulled wrenches for over 40 years so if a heated steering wheel makes me a wimp, that is all right with me.

Edited by Rvduck

Quick question for heated steering wheels users. This is my first GMC, my ram steering wheel and also my wife's jeep get warm all the way around. With my GMC the wheel gets warm only from about the 3-9 o'clock position, is this normal on the GM's or is mine not working properly? Thanks for any input.

It would be nice if it did come on with the remote start but it really heats up quickly and just makes that leather feel so nice. On the remote start, I used to use the OnStar app, now I like the My Chevrolet app even better for starting the truck, onlocking and other things. Often I want to open the cab or unlock the tailgate and my keys are in the house but my smartphone is always with me.

Does anyone know if the MyChevrolet app still works when your OnStar subscription has expired? I love this app for unlocking and remote start, so hopefully I can continue to use it. Do not plan on extending the OnStar.

Does anyone know if the MyChevrolet app still works when your OnStar subscription has expired? I love this app for unlocking and remote start, so hopefully I can continue to use it. Do not plan on extending the OnStar.

Phone OnStar, they should be able to answer that. I was so pleased back in 08 when I got my first OnStar vehicle and called them and WOW! the OnStar advisors speak perfect and I could understand them. When my 04 Ford

6.0 lemon diesel was leaving me stranded alongside the road and I phoned the Ford help line for a tow, I would get people that I could not understand. I got the feeling they were on another continent.