2016 little or no heat, long warm up

This problem is way too subjective

I'm leaning towards you being crazy and its not a problem at all. Then again, I'm not there and you could actually have a malfunction.

Hopefully you understand that you should be comparing the cabin temperature to other vehicles and not how the output feels on your skin. We have powerful blowers, and a lot of cfm's will lower output temp but increase btu's.

Yes true, I do have a crew cab and lots of space in there. I have been keeping track of ambient temp and engine coolant temp. This morning at 27 deg and a 25 minute trip in city driving coolant temp only got up to 175. I'm comparing cabin comfort to my 1998, at about 10-15 min it would almost melt your skin.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes true, I do have a crew cab and lots of space in there. I have been keeping track of ambient temp and engine coolant temp. This morning at 27 deg and a 25 minute trip in city driving coolant temp only got up to 175. I'm comparing cabin comfort to my 1998, at about 10-15 min it would almost melt your skin.

My truck before this was a '97 tahoe without remote start. I have a 10 minute drive to the office. My tahoe would be getting luke warm by the time I got to the office and the interior was still ice cold and coolant temperature wasn't even close to full operating temp.

I dunno man, I think the heat on these new trucks is pretty standard.

How does the heater on the GM's work? Over on the Tacoma forums they're saying the new Tacoma has a new electric heater that warms up independently of the engine.

GM still works off of engine coolant

My truck before this was a '97 tahoe without remote start. I have a 10 minute drive to the office. My tahoe would be getting luke warm by the time I got to the office and the interior was still ice cold and coolant temperature wasn't even close to full operating temp.

I dunno man, I think the heat on these new trucks is pretty standard.

I'm not saying your wrong with your 97, but if it had rear heat, those did seem to take a while to warm up. And my 16, it is what it is. I'm just not overly impressed, but I might not be with something else either.

How does the heater on the GM's work? Over on the Tacoma forums they're saying the new Tacoma has a new electric heater that warms up independently of the engine.

I always thought it would be a good idea to install resistance heat, like hair dryer coils in the vents to provide instant heat at startup. I see toyota pulled something similar off. Interesting.

Probably takes a lot of energy to get that heat going. I mean a single hair dryer would require almost 100amps off the alternator at 12volts.

I wonder how the toyota system works.

I am having a similar issue, but different (hope i'm not hijacking this thread)....i have a '16 with the auto climate control...before i had an '08 with auto climate control. my '08 would not blow cool air (in the winter) until it was heated up to the temp on the auto feature...my '16 blows cool air as soon as the truck is started...thus blowing cold air on my feet and in the cab and not warming it up at all! --i'm not sure it takes longer to heat up or not...it seems about the same to me...

Is this a calibration issue/computer issue? or just not as good as the '08 auto climate control?

I am having a similar issue, but different (hope i'm not hijacking this thread)....i have a '16 with the auto climate control...before i had an '08 with auto climate control. my '08 would not blow cool air (in the winter) until it was heated up to the temp on the auto feature...my '16 blows cool air as soon as the truck is started...thus blowing cold air on my feet and in the cab and not warming it up at all! --i'm not sure it takes longer to heat up or not...it seems about the same to me...

Is this a calibration issue/computer issue? or just not as good as the '08 auto climate control?

Could just leave it off for a handful of minutes until the engine warms up enough. I'd rather sit in a cold cab for a few minutes than have cold air blown on me for that few minutes.

I'm fairy confident that is standard.

I'm also fairly confident the air coming out is warmer than the ambient air in the truck.

If the air coming out of the heater is 50 degrees, ands its 20 inside your truck, the air out of the heater is still going to feel cold on your skin.

Although it's uncomfortable "cold air" its still going to warm the cabin up faster than if it waits for the air output temperature to be 100 degrees.

So GM took a "warm it up fast as possible" approach instead of a "wait until the air coming out feels nice and warm" approach.

Could just leave it off for a handful of minutes until the engine warms up enough. I'd rather sit in a cold cab for a few minutes than have cold air blown on me for that few minutes.

This^^^^

Coming from Dodge/Cummins forums....................I've never read so much about a bunch of whiny "pussies" who insist their butts or their fingers are cold like here..................and that expect their asses licked for farting in their GM trucks!!!!

It's cold out...............get over it.....................cowboy up Ladies!!!

Archived