Android Auto vs. Apple CarPlay

GMC IntelliLink Smartphone  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Apple CarPlay is a seamless experiance for me, just connect USB and go. All iPhone voice commands via Siri (seems to work better in my truck vs stand alone phone), maps (no issues with maps), calls, texting, to music its all done super easy, btw I dont use Bluetooth.

I had a few buddy's connect their AA phones, to me it AA seems clunky/less refined, compared to ACP.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you suggesting that Apple computer sales are anywhere close to what windows pc sales are?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No - based on what I quoted I am suggesting that just because something has global market share does not mean that it is going to stick around or that it is the best, or even that it will have the most growth or innovation. Apple has done well with their small consumer base in terms of staying power and advancement.

The only reason PC sales are ahead is the professional market. I would love to use an Apple but they are cost prohibitive to equip to a whole company and certain programs just don't work as well (like excel). The general business sector is fairly change adverse so I do not see this changing unless Windows makes multiple gigantic mistakes in a row.

Note to those who would like to switch to the other platform (both from iOS --> Android, and Android --> iOS): Both Apple and Google made it very easy to migrate all your contacts, settings, etc., and it is an almost seemless experience. If you're worried about losing contacts, etc., don't let that stop you : )

I tried AA; I liked the UI as most here did, but hated the cable connection requirement. I could actually be OK with hooking it up, but it is very much detrimental to the battery life in the long term, which I would not like to do. As a general guideline, I only charge to 100% overnight, and only top up to max 80% if I ever need to, during the day. This way, battery stays fresh throughout the life of the phone. I usually change it at least once a year anyway.

I'm glad to hear about pure wireless and waze feature coming in soon.

Further reference from X25's comment above:

The far superior UX on Android Auto over Apple's CarPlay is not compelling enough on it's own for me to move off the Apple ecosystem. I'll be sticking with Apple CarPlay for now.

Side note: What's the deal with Android device and OS support? iOS 10 supports back to the iPhone 5 which came out in 2012. From what I am reading (correct me if I am wrong) it appears Android OS support goes back only 2 years? I'd hate to have to keep buying new phones every two years. I mean, I do anyway, but it's nice to have a few more years of great new OS's on my older devices.

Further reference from X25's comment above:

The far superior UX on Android Auto over Apple's CarPlay is not compelling enough on it's own for me to move off the Apple ecosystem. I'll be sticking with Apple CarPlay for now.

Side note: What's the deal with Android device and OS support? iOS 10 supports back to the iPhone 5 which came out in 2012. From what I am reading (correct me if I am wrong) it appears Android OS support goes back only 2 years? I'd hate to have to keep buying new phones every two years. I mean, I do anyway, but it's nice to have a few more years of great new OS's on my older devices.

Regarding backwards updates, Apple only needs to update a handful of devices, yet Google would need to keep it compatible with thousands of devices, and even worse, not all the devices are premium devices (making it hard for the newer OS to run on). As such, Google policy states that manufacturers need to support minimum 18 months of updates. So long story short, it is much harder to do so on Android side due to the nature of open platform : )

Regarding backwards updates, Apple only needs to update a handful of devices, yet Google would need to keep it compatible with thousands of devices, and even worse, not all the devices are premium devices (making it hard for the newer OS to run on). As such, Google policy states that manufacturers need to support minimum 18 months of updates. So long story short, it is much harder to do so on Android side due to the nature of open platform : )

But I've had many PC's I've built that stared with Windows XP and I was able to successfully install and run Windows 10! =D

I just noticed you are "liking" all of your own posts... :ninja:

Reminds me of the "Black Mirror" episode where the "likes" of people in your social network becomes your credit score : )

I didn't read every topic above but a few I did. I only have experience with the iPhone. But you can sync your phone via Bluetooth as normal and use it for calls and music streaming. But you can also do the same via USB. Once you plug your iPhone into the car the USB connection takes over and disconnects the Bluetooth. You can have CarPlay work over Bluetooth but you need to enable Bluetooth CarPlay on your phone via settings-general-CarPlay. I think we all wish we could have a choose to use google maps with CarPlay. I do wish more apps had some sort of integration.

I also noticed that USB CarPlay disconnects the Bluetooth. I have not gotten CarPlay to work via Bluetooth but that's good to know it's a setting. I am not sure why I would want Bluetooth over USB if I am going to be charging my phone while I am driving anyway.

If I got none of the CarPlay functionality and could keep an older Android phone in the car for Android Auto's interface and still use Siri, or even just answer calls on the iPhone that would be perfect. =)

Myself, I just BT my phones, and have a i-pod touch I leave plugged in to the USB in the console for music. It stays charged up, my phones can be on a charger if I want them to, plus there is no extra drain on them by playing music and such when they are not plugged in. If everything is on BT, then the radio defaults to the last one you used. I'd rather have my personal phone be first on BT for convenience for me, I use it more than my work phone. I do not see a way for the radio to switch between phones when a call comes in, unless I missed it some how, please tell me how to make that work.

I also noticed that USB CarPlay disconnects the Bluetooth. I have not gotten CarPlay to work via Bluetooth but that's good to know it's a setting. I am not sure why I would want Bluetooth over USB if I am going to be charging my phone while I am driving anyway.

If I got none of the CarPlay functionality and could keep an older Android phone in the car for Android Auto's interface and still use Siri, or even just answer calls on the iPhone that would be perfect. =)

Myself, I just BT my phones, and have a i-pod touch I leave plugged in to the USB in the console for music. It stays charged up, my phones can be on a charger if I want them to, plus there is no extra drain on them by playing music and such when they are not plugged in. If everything is on BT, then the radio defaults to the last one you used. I'd rather have my personal phone be first on BT for convenience for me, I use it more than my work phone. I do not see a way for the radio to switch between phones when a call comes in, unless I missed it some how, please tell me how to make that work.

You might be able to do that regarding the older android device. I just don't know if you plug in a device if the car will turn off all bluetooth connections or just the USB connected one.

I know a few of my older cars, and even my wife's 2016 equinox you can choose what device gets answered with a priority list. So in her car her phone is one and my phone is 2. It's difficult when I'm driving her car, and if she had her Bluetooth on her phone would be over mine, but when either of us are in the passenger seat, the passenger doesn't use Bluetooth. I'm not sure if my Silverado is the same, my wife doesn't drive it lol.

Ok then... I have a Turbo 2 (personal), S6 Active (work), and of coarse the radio in my truck (2017 LTZ). I want both of my phones on BT, and possibly a passenger on BT as well. Is it possible that the truck will put them in order, and have everything work? I don't care about music and other options, I have that covered, I just want the phones to work correctly when either making, or receiving calls.

Archived