When do you know it's time to get a new truck?

It's a bit financially irresponsible but I buy the new one when I get bored with the old one so long as I don't take a beating at trade in. I've traded stuff as early as one year later and as much as 4 years. I do drive quite a bit so my stuff gets miles on it fast but I've never been upside down on the trades which is my main concern. I'll be looking to get out of the Jeep this spring. Not totally sure what will take it's place yet.

Like they say, "You only live once". Edited by Daryl Z71

Like most here, cars are a hobby for me, or an extension of my personality. So for me its a combo of things. First is how long I've had my current and if its out of warranty. Lately with cars not advancing much looks wise, it seems I don't mind keeping them longer. I also don't like my current vehicle to devalue too much so that it helps finance the new one. This year the nail in the coffin was the year end rebates. My old truck even though it wasn't really old, started to feel it wasn't representing my personality as of late, so I was getting ready to move on. Luckily I found a buyer with an offer I was satisfied with, ran my trade through the dealer to save close to $3k in sales tax, and proceeded to buy the truck I had been pricing for a few weeks.

I hate payments, I put a big down payment then paid this truck off in about 2.5 years and plan to drive it as long as it runs, then trade it in on another (hopefully new) truck. By that time, trucks will probably cost over $100k and my truck will be all but worthless.

I got this one because my 2000 S-10 4x4 extended cab with 300k miles was costing me a few hundred dollars a month in upkeep, so I figured for a few more hundred a month, I could buy new and not worry about fixing it all the time.

I still love that little truck better then this new one in many ways - and if they ever bring it back, I'd buy one in a hot second.

My 03 Ram has been a great truck with the exception of the body rusting away. One day I realized it was a little embarrassing driving it. Bought a 5th gen camaro in 2015 and have always been a Chevy fan. Once I started thinking of a new or newer chevy it was just a matter of finding the right truck. Took about 3 months but finally found a sweet truck. The only change I am going to make is a new set of wheels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

for example right now i have a 2006 silverado- extended cab Z71 with 106,000 miles. Truck still runs great and not having payments is nice. But every month the truck gets older and every mile the value goes down.

The same goes for new at a much faster rate.

If everything is still working OK or repairs are minimal, would keep the 06 until that changes.

Truck must be traded for a new one IF any of the following happens:

It is involved in a serious accident needing bodywork.

Has a problem that the dealer cannot seem to fix (vibration chevy shake)

Fails to start and leaves me stranded ONE Time.

Factory warranty runs out.

I get tired of the color.

The tires get worn down.

One of my buddies gets a new one.

etc. it is always just a want, not really a need..... and chances are very good that one of the triggers will be hit so say max 3 years if all goes perfectly LOL

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was young I generally got a new truck every two years! But now about every 6 to 10. The one I just bought was because of several things. But mainly because I found a truck I really liked. And I got more for my 2011 than I was expecting. (like 8000 more) So it was partly financial as well I guess.

The truck I kept the longest was 12 years. 1990 reg cab z71 long box! Just loved that truck. Bucket seats with console. Called it my poor mans Corvette! I was poor back then! hahaha

Edited by Likarok
  • Like 1

When the wife says "why don't you go out and buy a new truck."

I like to drive through the lots like many walk through a store. It's at these times when my wife says" yours is fine don't even think about it" that I get the hankering to buy a new one, to my knowledge she just hasn't picked up on it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk