When do you know it's time to get a new truck?

11 hours ago, Spurshot said:

But a Chevy Spark is only $13k base.  That’s a modern Chevette imo.  Pretty economical I’d say.

Worlds apart (literally and figuratively).  

The Chevette was an American car.  

The Chevrolet Spark is an updated Daewoo Matiz.  

I don't care for any Korean cars.  No matter what the youngsters state about the "quality" of current Korean cars. And that 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on some Korean cars is a joke.  South Korea never made cars.  When the industry began in the 1980's they used older tooling purchased from the Japanese.  But the build quality was awful.  Yes, it has improved.  But  some of the supplier components are still junk.  I still see some newer Korean cars with a headlight  out.  Windshield wiper arms rusting as well as wheels rusting - prematurely.  

GM may be leaving Korea.  Korean labor costs have increased 50% recently.  

I once rented a Chevrolet Aveo.  What a piece of junk.  No comparison to the original Chevrolet Chevette.  

I had 4 Chevettes.  Two new and two used.  Loved them.  

Edited by unit731
Spelling

Worlds apart (literally and figuratively).  

The Chevette was an American car.  

The Chevrolet Spark is an updated Daewoo Matiz.  

I don't care for any Korean cars.  No matter what the youngsters state about the "quality" of current Korean cars. And that 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on some Korean cars is a joke.  South Korea never made cars.  When the industry began in the 1980's they used older tooling purchased from the Japanese.  But the build quality was awful.  Yes, it has improved.  But  some of the supplier components are still junk.  I still see some newer Korean cars with a headlight  out.  Windshield wiper arms rusting as well as wheels rusting - prematurely.  

GM may be leaving Korea.  Korean labor costs have increased 50% recently.  
I once rented a Chevrolet Aveo.  What a piece of junk.  No comparison to the original Chevrolet Chevette.  

I had 4 Chevettes.  Two new and two used.  Loved them.  
[/quote I’ve had 4 Hyundai’s, great cars. The two I still have, one is an 06 Elantra used by my wife my daughter now by my grandson. The 11 Genesis is now my wife’s daily. Car of the year by several mag. And the warranty top notch. The 10 Genesis coup, and 15 Santa Fe were fine too, I just trade often.3714ccc11066bcc0fd1e10dc8c45a8eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:00 PM, OneShotOneKill said:

I'm interested in knowing what are the deciding factors that made you trade in or get a new truck?

What have some of you guys done in similar situations?

Me.

I had a new GMC Sierra - 2008.

New Colorado 2010.

New Colorado 2012.

Nice trucks but waste of monies for what I use a truck for.  

Picked up a nice 2002 Silverado 4X4 with 38,000 one owner miles.  Zero rust.  Rides like a new truck.  

New is nice.  But so is old.  

2002 Chevrolet 2 (1).JPG

• Like 1

When I get tired of the old one or want to add to the fleet.  New vehicles are like a revolving door for me but I hope my 17 HD and all the stuff I am doing to it satisfies that.  I still use my 05 1500HD daily though..... problem is the body is going to fall off the truck one of these days or the frame might break in half.  See what happens first!

I have never walked into a dealership with the intent to buy a new car/truck. I've stopped in if something caught my eye and left with something; about once in a thousand times. Looking is a hobby but buying is an exercise in finding the right deal, not the right truck. Every once in a blue moon there is that truck no one wanted. That one or two year old sitting there on the back line ready to go to auction. It may have been auctioned a half dozen times by dealers and for whatever reason no one want's it. OR someone did buy it and returned it with like under a thousand miles on it and so everyone passes by like its got the plague. Estate sold trucks bough new and sitting is a barn then returned or repossessed to the dealership on consignment. These sorts of deals where the truck has cost someone enough they just want to get out from under it even at a loss. Company Leases and Program trucks/cars. Like new with next to nothing for miles to perhaps 25K on the clocks that are truly flawless in appearance or so minimally damaged repairs added to cost are still totaling pennies on the dollar. In Peppers case an old gent bought her then could not get his license renewed. Bad eyes and 85. Titled Used but 1300 miles on it and about 58 cents on the dollar. It just so happened that it isn't a popular model with anyone but me. :lol:

Bought my first new car like this. One year old Granada in the middle of the 70's gas crunch with a 351W in her. Bought that one for 45 cents on the dollar and still overpaid for it. 18 months it had been on the lot. Two new model years were out. Only had like 200 miles on it. No one even wanted to test drive it. Got the last laugh. The 250 sixes were getting about 14/15 mpg. The 351W got 22 mpg.

So I buy the deal...not the truck and yes I get ones that are not my exact cuppa tea but it matters not. I get rid of the old ones the same way I buy them. When the right buyer finds me. They are paid for and own me nothing.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

When my wife says she doesn't want to ride in "this truck" any longer because it has "character" and only 195k miles on it.  So we "had" to buy a new one if she was going to go glamping with me this year and into the future.

I still have my "old" truck.  I am having a hard time coming to terms getting rid of it.  So I have a "new" truck, AND and "old" truck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2018 at 7:34 AM, nowicksl said:

When my wife says she doesn't want to ride in "this truck" any longer because it has "character" and only 195k miles on it.  So we "had" to buy a new one if she was going to go glamping with me this year and into the future.

I still have my "old" truck.  I am having a hard time coming to terms getting rid of it.  So I have a "new" truck, AND and "old" truck.

It would be at that point my wife would come home and find her belongings at the curb. 

Gee Wally, I wonder why I'm single :thumbs:

• Like 1

For me, it was when maintenance costs became a significant percentage of a payment on a new vehicle, and the old truck broke down 5 hours from home, causing me to miss a day of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy another one when my current one has high mileage. Last truck drove it for 20 years. 230+ K miles, 1993 Silverado. Still as dependable as my used 2012.

I have never owned a new vehicle, always bought used.

Do all my own maintenance and repairs on our vehicles, homes, etc. 

Haven't lived in the salt belt since 1976 so rust isn't an issue.

Because I do top notch maintenance I can't remember the last time a vehicle left me stranded. Easier to maintain it in the garage than fix it on the side of the road.

"You only live once" or "It's only money" doesn't apply to me.

I never was overwhelmed with the joy of working, so vehicle cost was a major concern, worst investment there is.

I didn't need to keep up with the Jones's, I wanted to retire.

I estimate I have saved a minimum $100 k in my life on vehicle expenses.

That money was invested instead of going into someone else's pocket.

I haven't financed a vehicle in many years.

I have friends that are still buying new vehicles, new ATV's, and houses. They are still working. I retired at 58 on a modest income.

Vehicle expense is a personal choice and I prefer to save money at all times.

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

...Do all my own maintenance and repairs on our vehicles, homes, etc. 

....I estimate I have saved a minimum $100 k in my life on vehicle expenses.

That money was invested instead of going into someone else's pocket.

:)

This is great advice to many people that can't comprehend living within your means.  I do my own maintenance unless it is high up on the second level of our house (can't stand high ladders).  The cool thing about this is that my WIFE believes that we have saved that same amount, 100k, in the last 20 years on maintenance and long lasting vehicles. She brought it up, and who am I to argue!!!!!

She retired this year, good for her. I may not be too far away and I am just a bit older than your retirement age....

Congratulations!

Edited by nowicksl

• 3 weeks later...

For me it can be for different reasons. When the repairs start to become equivalent to the payments of a new truck is one. Sometimes I might get tired of it and just feel like it's time to get a new one. Or there have been significant upgrades to the newer model. 

To be honest when I drove cars I would trade them in every 2-3 years because I would get tired of them, but since I got this truck I honestly haven't felt the same way and consequently this truck is the longest that I have ever owned a vehicle.