Have Fun with this one: Coolant leak

Tom G

about a year ago we had a warm winter. My truck would overheat every once in a while and I would pull on over and let it cool.

Here is my question: Are there any plastic parts in the coolant system that could have melted just perfectly to spit out coolant

1) every once in a great while

2) about half a quart all at once when it does

3) when it does spit out coolant, it spits it in such a way to allow it to get none on the belt, but all over the front end stuff thats between the road and the middle of the engine (verticle) and between the engine and the cooling fan (horizontal)

I have recently topped it off. Only the reservoir goes empty. It will stay topped for quite some time (months)

Sometimes there is no smell of coolant, while other times one can strongly smell it in the cab.

One time I had parked the truck and while I was walking away from it I heard the sound of a dog, a really big dog, pissing itself. turned around, saw coolant on the ground, smelled coolant from my truck, and found that it had spat out a mouthful of coolant!

That has happened one other time this year.

I fear that times when I am on the road and it happens, it burns up before I can find where it is coming from. It is funny that only the res goes empty though.

Happy Hannakah!

This a 1/2 ton? ( Electric fans) or a 2500HD ( mechanical Fan and clutch?)

The " reservoir" is only supposed to be 1/2 full, to the "seam"

The reservoir probably has a bunch of old Dexcool in it clogging it, as well as the radiator, that crap needs to go once its separated

The " reservoir" is THE Radiator tank Fill, and would be the first place it would get fluid from

1. Flush, with pressure

2. Clean out the reservoir in the kitchen sink with dish soap and a good glass brush

3. Only fill the reservoir to the middle "seam"

4. Will need to run for 30 min with cap off the reservoir to get the air out and possibly squeeze the upper hose after warm up with cap off, to help "burp' the air out.

It has never been filled passed the max fill line

The truck is a 3/4 ton Sierra

It runs with a cheapo, universal orange coolant : Autozone brand that works great.

It has run through the system enough to where it has burped fine..... (no burp/clogging should not equal mystery leak only every so often should it?)

I am trying to focus right now on this: Are there any plastic parts throughout the system prone to melting upon over heating?

I appreciate Ya

The Heater hose connections at the Heater core are Very suspect. Need a special tool to remove and the plastic core ends can be brittle... did not see the above when I posted but I am on board with Swimmer on this..

The Heater hose connections at the Heater core are Very suspect. Need a special tool to remove and the plastic core ends can be brittle... did not see the above when I posted but I am on board with Swimmer on this..

Thanks, I need to figure out what tool it is and have a look there.

Always look at water pump for starters, especially wp gaskets

Alright, sir, I will look there too.

Did you pressure test it at all before making this post?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I have heard of a pressure test, yet have not done one before.

once I figure out how to do it I will add that to the check list and get back to you guys on what it was.

Does it have or did it ever have the factory Dexcool mixed with the Autozone regular coolant? If so you probably have a sludgy mess in there that will take several flushes to get out. Happened to my step father's S10 when somebody just "topped it off" with regular antifreeze. Had to be flushed every fall for about 3 years.

Does it have or did it ever have the factory Dexcool mixed with the Autozone regular coolant? If so you probably have a sludgy mess in there that will take several flushes to get out. Happened to my step father's S10 when somebody just "topped it off" with regular antifreeze. Had to be flushed every fall for about 3 years.

I do not know. I bought from a dealership used. I bet it had whatever the previous owner put in it. Thank you for the heads up so that I can check and see whats going on. Maybe that's why it overheats when there is a plow attached if the temperature outside is above 15 degrees.

I would do that first it's easy to do it loads the coolant system with pressure causing what ever is leaking to spit coolant

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Im guessing the prep for this is to run it with some sort of "blacklight juice" before pressure testing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived