How can I tell if running in OD at hwy speeds?

KLRV6

6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Gear before shifting from D
(Drive) to M (Manual Mode)
6th 5th 4th 3rd 2nd 1st
Range after shifting from D
(Drive) to M (Manual Mode)
M4 M4 M3 M2 M2 M1
So using the chart in the manual (above) if running in 6th, it will switch to 4th when M is selected.
+/- button can then be used to permit shift to M5 and then to M6.
EDIT: don't forget that the M mode cannt force an upshift. Selecting M5, for example, means the trans can use any gear up to 5th.

It will up-shift on its own in M1, if your in M1 and the rpm's max out it will upshift to M2 to protect motor from over rev.

It will up-shift on its own in M1, if your in M1 and the rpm's max out it will upshift to M2 to protect motor from over rev.

You mean on throttle or on grade braking? (or both?)

If the chart is correct, the only way it ends up in M1 on an auto to manual shift is if it was in A1 when the shift was made.

• 3 weeks later...

How can I tell if the truck is running in overdrive? The rpms on my 15 1500 5.3 4wd sit at 1800 or so rpm on level road traveling 75mph. Is this right? I never really payed attention before, but it seemed kind of high. I'm running 275/65/18 which is 2% taller than the stock 265.

Thanks

Under similar conditions on mine (20" tires, RWD), my truck switches from "V8" to "V4," on the flats and downhills.

Archived