Changing stock D5S bulb

Realistically I shouldn't even bother... I only use my truck to tow my camper and rarely is it at night... normally driving a development car instead from work.

But damn am I a headlight junky...

I do like the 4500k as well, I just go a little higher as I run a 3000k hid projector fog lamp, or on the 2016 Silverado I have yellow Lamin-X over the fog lamps.

The 6500k/3000k combo is awesome for a variety of weather conditions too!

I should have a set of the 6500k ones in 2-3 days, I will do a comparison shot of before and after down my driveway with a decent camera.

Should be well worth it based on the amount of light spread in the photos above.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. I wish I would have taken pictures before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be down for a set. My only thing is, would there be a guarantee of sorts that if they weren't any better than my stock ones that I could get my money back? That's the thing that makes me apprehensive. I just hate to spend the money and not be impressed with the results.

I'd be down for a set. My only thing is, would there be a guarantee of sorts that if they weren't any better than my stock ones that I could get my money back? That's the thing that makes me apprehensive. I just hate to spend the money and not be impressed with the results.

I will measure the output with a LUX meter on stock and 35W when they come in, will post the results. If the filament placement is on point, which it is as of late more than ever with morimoto products it will be great.

• Like 1

Id be in for the group buy @285.00. For the Morimoto xb

Send me a PM with which kelvin you would be interested in and your email and I will prep an invoice through paypal, I will wait to send it however.

I would place the order without 8 people except I want to get an idea of what the ratio of 5500k / 6500k I should get to not get stuck with extra's is all.

I need to get to 50 posts I suppose to get access to the for sale forums to just post up a group buy!

Edited by Limited360

Has any one come out with a LED replacement bulb for the D5S bulb yet

Unlikely to happen. 35W HID should do just fine as long as the optics are on point, which they look like they are in the picture in previous threads.

Edited by Limited360

I just got a set of the morimoto 5500K and the are almost the same color as my stock bulbs and a lot brighter. my high beams actually look good and work now. IMO they are definitely worth it. I love them

Definitely happy to hear this feedback. We are doing a camping adventure from Michigan to Tennessee in a week, so I bought them to test over that trip. Seems like I won't be dissapointed!

I can tell you that my 1997 Chevy C1500 W/T with sealed beam square headlights had better lighting than my 2017 Sierra SLE. I drove this truck up until a few months ago so I doubt my vision has deteriorated that much since April. I think it's the higher temperature these lights run at. They cover more area than I had before, but they just don't seem to light up as much as my sealed beam halogens did.

When I happen across these types of threads it's frightening how many seem to suffer from vision problems and can't see to drive at night.

When I happen across these types of threads it's frightening how many seem to suffer from vision problems and can't see to drive at night.

It sounds like a lot of people want the headlights to light up the night so it'll become day or something. I agree the highs aren't very good but it's made out to seem like the lows are worthless. I live out in the countryside so it is very dark and I do most my driving at night and with my fogs on I can see very good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It's 2017, so yes, we want the night time to turn into daylight from the cutoff line and lower. If a sports car can have lights that work, why can't a truck? The nicest headlights I've ever been graced to be behind were in a 2005 Corvette. It's 12 years later and I think it's time the trucks should be able to have equivalent lighting.

Ive had alot of vehicles and these are the worst headlights ive had. The reason is you only have one bulb with a little flapper blocking the light and when you go to high beam the flapper opens to let the light reflect higher. Most vehicles have 4 lights even if they don't they have dual filament bulbs so when you go to high beam the other lights kick on and you have twice the light. gm decided to go with 25w hids which almost all other manufacturers that use this method use 35w. The 25w hids are only 2000 lumen the 35w is 3400 lumen. My dad has a 2015 gmc with a 9012 halogen bulb which is only 1875 lumen and they are horrible. I had to get him a bull bar with led lights and hooked them to his high beam and now he is happy. The morimoto d5s 35w replacement bulbs are 3400 lumen and makes a noticable difference especially on high beam i got the 5500k version and put one in and drove around the color temperature of these are so close to my stock bulbs they looked the same. Dont get me wrong the low beams are not to bad with the fog lights on. my led fog lights were brighter then my headlights but when you turn the high beams on they go out and they were horrible so i was going to fix it so they stay on with my high beams but then again with the upgraded headlight i might not have to

Edited by shutterdial
  • Like 2