Changing stock D5S bulb

Okay thanks I'll check the drivers side. The pictures came out more white than they actually are, but I will check the driver's side, something is just weird about the beam pattern when I was driving around last night.

If you cant figure anything out you can always pull the bulb out ...

Using latex or nitrile gloves... compare the bulb to the stock one. Its filament should look identical to the OEM... example would be if it got bumped during install and pushed the bulb off center. This has happened in the past to me on cheaper bulbs, not morimoto however.

By all means dont hesitate to reach out... I can offer my cell number and we can discuss if needed while you have it out.

Here to help!

If you cant figure anything out you can always pull the bulb out ...

Using latex or nitrile gloves... compare the bulb to the stock one. Its filament should look identical to the OEM... example would be if it got bumped during install and pushed the bulb off center. This has happened in the past to me on cheaper bulbs, not morimoto however.

By all means dont hesitate to reach out... I can offer my cell number and we can discuss if needed while you have it out.

Here to help!

Thanks Limited, but I checked the bulbs out before installing and they looked perfect. Let me reinstall the drivers' side and see how it goes.

I pulled the driver's side bulb, it was definitely installed correctly, but there is a patch of yellow crap in the middle.  Is this normal?  It was not there when the bulb was first being installed.  Maybe that's what is blocking the beam pattern, but I am just running the headlights while I drive to try to burn it off.

Edited by MrElussive

5 hours ago, MrElussive said:

I pulled the driver's side bulb, it was definitely installed correctly, but there is a patch of yellow crap in the middle.  Is this normal?  It was not there when the bulb was first being installed.  Maybe that's what is blocking the beam pattern, but I am just running the headlights while I drive to try to burn it off.

Referencing the 'build up' in the center of the glass bulb piece? No concerns there, wouldn't cause the output issue. Just the salts used...

3. Halide salts: The blend of salts in the capsule that compose the precise formula to achieve their Kelvin rating (such as 4300K) is what sets them apart. The main salts in 4300K bulbs are Scandium Iodide and Sodium Iodide, Dysprosium Iodide is also added to some bulbs. While in higher Kelvin bulbs, more Indium Iodide is used. This is what gives the salts in those bulbs their red color. It also is really expensive and hazardous to use, generally increasing their price. Less salts = less light and higher operating temperatures. When looking at the bulb (unlit) you should see some deposits in the capsule/bubble – those are the halide salts and they should be aplenty

I can see there are marks on the return wire with the ceramic around it, happens from install from time to time. Was the bulb 'perfectly' vertical and perpendicular from the base of the bulb? Can get bumped during install and not be centered, which can give the output issue. I had some cheap china junk 35w with external ballasts a year back, this was a major issue with them. If you put on nitrile gloves you can always push it back over a little if it is now off center. 

Extreme example:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFt_zyyVcyr5AtXLPxiaD

Feel free to PM me to discuss. 

Wish I would have found this thread before.  I just ordered a set from an online retailer.  Oh well.  Question for all of you that have swapped these bulb assemblies out:  What is the correct way to remove this D5S bulb from the housing?  I popped the cover off the driver's side light in my '17 2500 Denali and see the two tabs on either side of the bulb.  Is the whole thing supposed to rotate and pop out like a bulb usually does or do I have to do something with those tabs?  I don't want to break anything in there so I appreciate your help.  Thanks, all!

Wish I would have found this thread before.  I just ordered a set from an online retailer.  Oh well.  Question for all of you that have swapped these bulb assemblies out:  What is the correct way to remove this D5S bulb from the housing?  I popped the cover off the driver's side light in my '17 2500 Denali and see the two tabs on either side of the bulb.  Is the whole thing supposed to rotate and pop out like a bulb usually does or do I have to do something with those tabs?  I don't want to break anything in there so I appreciate your help.  Thanks, all!

The tabs are connected in my 1500. Push one down, the other goes up, releasing the bulb. Pull straight out. No turning or anything. Put the new one in straight in, lock it into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, e.torres.ae said:

What’s the difference in light output between the 6500K and 5500K?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morimoto / TRS claim 200 lumens different between them.

• 5500K: Pure White (~3400 lm)

• 6500K: Cool White (~3200 lm)

Ok, figured it out.  So there are two metal tabs on each side of the bulb housing.  On the left side of the bulb (looking toward the front) there is a black plastic tab.  That plastic tab has to be pushed down.  Once down the light pops right off.  On the drivers side it was a little awkward due to the battery being right in front.  On the passenger side it was a lot easier with the airbox out of the way.  Even in early evening daylight I can already see a difference. Can't wait to take it out on the road tonight.  

Okay so I went to NYC last night for a small event with some friends and the lighting was just great!  The beam pattern really evened out on the driver's side after I reinstalled it.  It could be that I had it installed slightly wrong when I locked it down with the tab, but they really looked great and the color was much more visible than on the first night of trying the bulbs out.  High beams are also noticeably more intense.  Super happy with my purchase.  The bulbs are super pricey, even with Limited360's discount but totally worth it for me.

10 hours ago, MrElussive said:

Okay so I went to NYC last night for a small event with some friends and the lighting was just great!  The beam pattern really evened out on the driver's side after I reinstalled it.  It could be that I had it installed slightly wrong when I locked it down with the tab, but they really looked great and the color was much more visible than on the first night of trying the bulbs out.  High beams are also noticeably more intense.  Super happy with my purchase.  The bulbs are super pricey, even with Limited360's discount but totally worth it for me.

Glad things sorted out for the output!

Hey Limited360, I love the group deal you have for us here!  I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of these myself but was waiting for some reviews.  I'd love to grab a set of 5500ks off of you if you still have some.  I had a question regarding warranty issues though.  Would you be considered a retailer in the eyes of the morimoto warranty department?  How is this handled?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Alfred Arcidi said:

Hey Limited360, I love the group deal you have for us here!  I was ready to pull the trigger on a set of these myself but was waiting for some reviews.  I'd love to grab a set of 5500ks off of you if you still have some.  I had a question regarding warranty issues though.  Would you be considered a retailer in the eyes of the morimoto warranty department?  How is this handled?

Thanks!

I will deal with the warranty for you, basically just work with me and we can get it sorted. TRS is rather good about warrantied items getting swapped out quickly.

Feel free to PM me and we can discuss anything further.