Changing stock D5S bulb

On 2017-12-04 at 3:33 PM, badge171 said:

Dale

Its not a metal tab to depress. The black plastic ear,tab, rotates counter clockwise to unlock the bulb. Clockwise to lock. There will be a tab on both sides of the ballast, they serve the same function. Only one side needs to be rotated . Once the bulb is unlocked the spring tabs just hold the bulb in place. Take care on removal ,and install. Bulbs are indexed only fitting one way, The hole for insert is ob-longed, If you bang the sides of the bulb your going to damage it. Hope it helps 

• 1 month later...

Happened across this eBay listing for a direct LED HID replacement... I wonder what the light output actually looks like and if it's comparable. The thought of having to spending close to $200 to replace the HID bulbs whenever they burn out is bit disheartening.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-D5S-D1S-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Kit-Replace-HID-For-2016-17-Silverado-1500/122904622700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

2 hours ago, StealthZ71 said:

Happened across this eBay listing for a direct LED HID replacement... I wonder what the light output actually looks like and if it's comparable. The thought of having to spending close to $200 to replace the HID bulbs whenever they burn out is bit disheartening.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LASFIT-D5S-D1S-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Kit-Replace-HID-For-2016-17-Silverado-1500/122904622700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

That says its a D1S Light bulb. We have a D5S. It is discussed here previously, the issue is the focal point. 

Based on the incorrect focal point, these bulbs will not work properly as a replacement. 

Just looking for some input. I may or may not have found some headlights for these trucks. 2 questions. Would 55watt bulbs be too hot for the projectors? I may have missed the post, but if they are actually D5S bulbs would you go LED over the HID’s if you could.  Reading the last comment I’ll have to verify it’s not a mix of D1S and D5S like the eBay listing. 

55w seems like it would be too much for the factory wiring harness. I would look into LED if that’s an option but as the other poster mentioned on that LED eBay listing it seems unclear whether that bulb is for D5S or D1S. We specifically need D5S and we have to look for maximum lumens while staying within the 25W power draw. I’ve had ZERO issues with the 35W D5S xenons I purchased from the forum member selling them so I know that range is acceptable.

9 minutes ago, Dale R said:

Also please let us know were you got them the website I saw did not ship to Canada 

Dale, I actually bought them from a company in Alberta. His reviews were really good, and some people I’ve talked to gave him a lot of praise. Checked my tracking number, should be here Wednesday.