Sugar Bears 2015 GMC Terrain SLE-2 2.4 AWD

Grumpy Bear

He's just a Dawg. A Oklahoma Res dog rescue. 28 lbs. of mischief and cuddle. 2 years old. But I did look up the Dutch Breed having never heard of it and he does look like a half pint version, right? He did eat my Roku remote tonight..grrrrr. :lol:

Lol. Yes, he sure does look like one although 28lbs would be very unusual for a full grown dog. When I first saw the pic I thought he was a 5 month old Dutch. I had one years ago and he was a great working dog and very affectionate too. One day I hope to have another. Good for you for giving that little guy a chance by adopting from a shelter.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 4:56 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Wipers on order. GM. Why change, they last three years a set. 

Seems boring but I like being bored in this fashion. :thumbs:

Same here, have had a pair of GM blades sitting in my parts pile for 2 years now, figure come the 3 year driving mark in June they will be due. The GM ones really hold up well.

I agree. Clyde is a happy camper with no needs at the moment. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

80,000 Mile Service 

79,876 actual miles. 

Oil and filter. Quaker State UD 5W20 + NAPA Platinum (WIX XP)

No observable usage.

Check all fluids and top as needed.

Balance & Rotate tires.

Replace one valve stem and clean, reseat bead. (Tire was loosing about 3 psig every ten days)

On inspection we are due for new tires likely at next service.  

Replaced all three wiper blades with OEM. Not Delco but the ones used during original assembly and yes there is a difference. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
additional content
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's the simple things isn't it? Temperature drops to sub zero (F) and every washer system not under a roof freezes solid. Actually they were all solid by 25 above zero and I had just had the wiper system serviced. NOT fun and NOT funny. This will generate a conversation I don't like having. 

Be that as it may finding fluid good for -35F is not that easy local. -20 seems standard but did find some at Lowes and when weather allowed the system to thaw did a drop and fill. I need to find this stuff by the case. :)

• 3 weeks later...

85,000 Mile Service

Oil change. Quaker State 5W30 and WIX XP filter. Yes back to 5W30. Wife drives like she has a fire to put out so wasting the fuel efficiency efforts. She's better served with more protection. This thing needs a bath bad. 

Bought over a case of ZECOL -35 F windshield wash/deicer. Evacuated system and refilled. Actually did this between services during last two day warm spell that let the system thaw. I had that 'talk' and it went well. Good. 

Tires at 5/32" and very even. Working well yet in snow, wet and dry. I'll keep going. Rotated. Bead leak seems fixed. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, this has nothing to do with the Terrain but it's funny. It's Sugar Bear at her ever loving best and I'm not opening 'Yes Dear'. 

She has a 2014 Verano. Mint. Trailer Queen. Garage kept and under fifteen thousand miles and most of those by the previous owner. She's had it three years and it's been on two trips and a couple of weekenders. Mostly it sits all winter and goes in and out of the garage for cleanings a few times during the summer and a hour drive once a month to keep it limber. Stage set? Good. 

So, it's five years old and time for the fiver year services which I always add to. Pull calipers and grease slides, full four wheel power bleed. Full trans service. Engine lube service. Battery load test. Coolant dump and flush, tires, wipers, brake line inspect, evap. system draw down test. Code check...get the idea? This car still smells like new inside...Yum! Bill comes to $400 after about $200 in free stuff they did just because it might need or this wasn't perfect....I hand the bill to the Bear and after her eyes re-dilate she says totally dead pan handing it back in walk away fashion:

"Good thing there wasn't anything wrong with it"! 

Wait till she gets it back from the detailer! :D 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

90,000 Mile Service. 

At 74,000 we put new rotors and pads in all four holes. Front rotors are warped. Of course the supplier is out at the moment so for another day in the near future. Their not sure they will back the buy. I'm sure that if they don't there won't be a second buy. 15K rotors and $700 cost for 4 corners? NOT. 

Oil change. Not just volume but type. Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance. AMSOIL was my intention but a scheduling dictated other. K & N filter too. Grrr.  What a mess buying has become. "I'll sell ya we have, not what you want". Rumor has it this one does have some PAO content and the idea is slowing the consumption via higher NOACK. It's gets one try and if it doesn't get it done. I'm done with it. Used about 3/4 quart in 5K this time. 

Okay we retired the Michelin Latitude Tour's and mounted a fresh set of Continental Cross Contact LX 20's. Michelins were down to 5/32" and even as could be. Still quite and working well in the wet and snow. These had been a great tire but they priced themselves out of the game. Bought the Conti's for $10 a tire less money WITH shipping saving roughly $100. We have Continental's on her Buick and she loves them. Happy wife....

Then I took the Terrain for a 150 scuff in and feel assessment. I was fresh off a similar run just a day before on the Michelin's so pretty easy comparison to make. I know, worn vs fresh but hold that thought till you hear the results. The dB A scale meter says they are equal both sets sounding off at roughly 70 dB A. (cabin noise)  What the meter can't tell you is the frequency which is huge as I learned. The Continental has a much lower frequency that the Michelin. Actually makes sense as the tread depth difference is like the difference in a tuning forks leg length or could be the pattern. I tolerate the lower frequency much better. Neither tire "booms" like a basketball. Good. The biggest difference is that over various surface textures. While there is a fair amount of difference between say, grooved cement and blacktop for the Michelin the Continental tire hardly changes pitch. One exception. On grooved cement grooves with your direction are nearly silent but across you path they emit a quite but high frequency 'sing'. Few would notice the difference. Quite is a big deal for me. 

Ride. The Continental has a firmer but less harsh quality about it. It feels more connected to the drivers input as well. You can actually tell the difference between the shocks response and the tires response to an upset. That might bother some but I liked it. It's quite, responsive and comfortable. What we have come to expect from the brand.

Side note. We have run Eldorado, Firestone, General, Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone tires all to or past 90K  miles with room to spare in tread. Some 40K warranty some 70K. All worked quite well. I'm thinking life has more to do with service and driver than brand and compound (within reason). The two in bold type are the quietest of the group.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

95,000 Mile Service

94,804 actual. 

0W30 Red Line HP and NAPA Gold filter and a tire rotation. Cursory checks and fills. Safety check, lights and all. 

Used about 3/4 of a quart this time. No measurable improvement with Mobil 1 5W30. I had enough of the Red Line on hand to do a change and it preformed well in the Silverado. Rotors holding up well. Nothing really to report. She uses this truck or is it abUSES? Poor little 2.4 takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n. 

• Like 1

95,000 Mile Service

94,804 actual. 
0W30 Red Line HP and NAPA Gold filter and a tire rotation. Cursory checks and fills. Safety check, lights and all. 
Used about 3/4 of a quart this time. No measurable improvement with Mobil 1 5W30. I had enough of the Red Line on hand to do a change and it preformed well in the Silverado. Rotors holding up well. Nothing really to report. She uses this truck or is it abUSES? Poor little 2.4 takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n. 

I can relate. Back in the day when she was 15 and I was 18 she would always asked why I was doing what to cars. I laugh and give her a story. A few years later after we were married a hot rod mag showed up. I’m thinking wow nice present. Nooo she was getting educated. She eventually went from cars are transportation to an enthusiast. Good thing, I had to drive 3/4 - one ton trucks for work. She drove the performance cars. It was awhile before we could have extra cars. My kids grew up being haul around in modified Impalas, Novas, until all the kids were in school and the wife started working. Trucks evolve to extend cabs and crew cabs to hauling teenagers and she started driving Z28s and other sports cars. Her car goes through tires and brakes quicker than mine. I helped create a monster. Is funny when we test drive cars for her watching the salesman sliding around in the back seat. I warn them, but they don’t listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

I’m interested to see how the 30 weight performs. I just switched to AMSOIL SS 5W-20 because the NOACK is 5.8. I added a quart of Redline 10W-60 to thicken up the mixture a bit too. It’s a 25 weight oil now while still maintaining very good cold weather performance.

Not sure if you know of these or not, in case you don’t, I purchased a Fumoto ball valve that replaces my oil pan drain plug. It’s life changing for those of us who are “a little” obsessive about their oil. Seriously, oil change in less than 5 minutes with no mess and no tools required. You can drain directly into 2 liter bottles or any other container for that matter. Definitely in my top 10 favorite purchases for the truck. e100e39e439d2ad13ecd1577ab821d12.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

95,000 Mile Service

94,804 actual. 

3,700 miles on this oil change and......not a drop of usage. ? Normal has been half quart by now so hopeful indeed. Color is good too! Fuel efficiency seems unaffected as far as I can tell.  

• 3 weeks later...

100,000 Miles!!

IMG_1391.thumb.JPG.8650084979fa92d1c128303400eb74b4.JPG

And literally 14 miles later it tosses P0010. Inlet cam position solenoid failure.

Services scheduled for next Wednesday. Shops booked up. This failure is common at dirt. I will be replacing both solenoids. 

Details later as work is completed. 

2015 GMC Terrain

100,080 actual miles. 

1.)        P0010 Inlet camshaft position solenoid Replace, Clear code.

2.)        Change oil & Filter. Supplied

3.)        Change inlet air filter. Supplied

4.)        Change Plugs: Supplied

5.)        Clean MAF

6.)        CHECK coolant condition. 

7.)        Trans Service.

8.)        Rotate and balance.

9.)        Jason’s discretion on anything you find that isn’t going to require me robbing Ft. Knox to fix. Belts, hoses lights etc.

10.)     Find something ugly, call me.

Let’s start with the plugs. ACDelco 41-108 (126205540). This is the same plug as the NKG 5476 also (126205540). Gap spec is .036” and at 100,080 miles this set averaged .035”. However the seals were all blown between the shell and the porcelain. Make a note to change at 50K next major service.

Oil a filter. WIX and Red Line 0W30 again. Used maybe a cup of oil vs a quart using the QSUD or Mobil 1. Looking to repeat.

Air filter replaced. ACDelco. Looked about average. Cleaned MAF. Check for leaks…none

Coolant checked and check. Nothing to report. Hoses and belts great.

Trans service 4 quarts of Valvoline Full Synthetic D6. Fluid looked serviceable yet. This transmission does not have a replaceable filter. This is a 6T45 and holds about 8.6 quarts so we are about 75% Valvoline now.

Rotate and balance tires. Set pressures. Unmeasurable wear. On the rack for a full suspension check. Blue ribbon. Love these tires.

Cabin air filter. WIX. It was dogged. I’ll have to look back to see when it was last replaced. Cut that interval in half.

P0010 was indeed an inlet cam VVT control solenoid. (ACDelco 99097621) Coil failure. FYI these are voltage on activation and PWM devices. Only did the inlet cam.

What I was interested in seeing was the oil screen condition. It was absolutely MINT. Keeping the 5K OCI. Jason mentioned these are normally pry out and full of gunk and fail to gum. Only a fraction of these fail coils. This one pulled out easy peasy. Actual phasing device was fine.

Wild card. She got a new battery when it failed the load test and then refused to hold a charge. Interstate MT47.

Full ECU/TCM diagnostics. Also mint. Reset P0010 code.

Brake slides checked but as brakes were very recent no fluid purge this time.

Jason says she’s a keeper! I was pretty impressed with the uptick in responsiveness and willingness to rev. feels stronger.

Sugar Bear is a happy bear. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...