Echomaster Towing Cameras- Setup

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking into a backup camera for my travel trailer and would like to use the nav screen in my '15 Sierra as the monitor. I like the IntelliHaul except the price and I like the idea of a front mounted camera that kicks on at slow speeds. I'm not sure I care about mirror mounted cameras. It sounds like from reading here the combination of the Echomaster and MVI would be ideal for what I'm looking for. Any other ideas out there?

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 2:05 PM, ducky911 said:

fixed the third break light shooting low

had to use my bandsaw, drill and screws. Turned out really nice.

cam.JPG

Do you mind sharing the details of this mod? I also would like to raise the POV of that camera because half the screen is covered by a portion of my tonneau cover which doesn't move.

Thanks!

I wish I took photos. If you remove the camera you will see that the enclosed case has an extended wedge extension. I sawed the extension off . Just a accident that the wedge shape made the perfect angle when removed.  And re screwed it back on. Because you are only cutting the extended part you are not weakening the waterproofing of the camera.

Tough to put into words...please just take yours apart and re read.

Edited by ducky911

27 minutes ago, ducky911 said:

I wish I took photos. If you remove the camera you will see that the enclosed case has an extended wedge extension. I sawed the extension off . Just a accident that the wedge shape made the perfect angle when removed.  And re screwed it back on. Because you are only cutting the extended part you are not weakening the waterproofing of the camera.

Tough to put into words...please just take yours apart and re read.

Thank you. I will remove and take a look. Did you install and then remove it later to do the mod, do I have to worry about breaking any clips when removing it? 

Is the area highlighted in yellow the part you sawed off and the tension naturally lifted the camera?

sketch-1524796861163.thumb.png.9861d8b613fcee4197c381aa31a6d539.png

Sorry I don't remember better. There are no clips. I think that I removed the whole third light cover (Two screws) in there is a wire to unplug and the whole thing will come off. Once you cut the wedge part off I think I drilled a placed two screws.

Please take some pics and show them here for others

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased another CHMSL camera to mess around with. I cut that wedge off on the inside but it didn't really change the angle because when I popped the camera lenses back into the socket it sat flush with the housing and was the same angle. I think I need to get a plastic washer and carefully make a wedge out of it and put the washer between the camera and the housing so when I push the camera lens back into the housing the wedge washer will angle it up.

In the meantime I took a heat gun and bent the entire camera housing upwards, but then it was hitting the brake light, so I had to shave the top removable cover (that mounts above the camera with two screws) but now the wall is so thin from shaving it that the integrity may be compromised over time. I'm not completely happy with the angle because it is a little crooked and I still wamt to go up another inch or two so the bottom 1/4 of the screen isn't covered by my tonneau cover.

IMG_20180510_204810.thumb.jpg.fbed844da55306c63d8247d3b879a7e9.jpg

if you look at my picture you see a gap at the lower end where it was flush before I started. And the whole camera is up on a better angle , the bigger angle is because I cut a pie piece from the back top of camera. I too cut to a thin encasement of the camera housing but not so thin to concern me. I did not use heat, I put in screws in new location to hold it at the new angle.

Hard to describe but there you go....and I too would like it up a bit but very happy with this mod. 

edit...read your post three times...wedge is on the back outside not inside,...?

Edited by ducky911

• 4 months later...

When either of you bought the rear camera, what type of extension cable does it have that plugs into the control box? Does it come with all three? I noticed that it can have one of three, depending on application as seen here, towards the lower right side.

https://echomaster.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=764