Blind Spot Detection... Or lack there of.

most people adjust their mirrors so the vehicle can be seen in the mirror. I adjust mine to where I cant see the back of the truck in the mirror at all. Being in a truck my mirrors also have more of a downward tilt to them so I can see cars beside/behind me. My inside rear view mirror is then setup centered on the back window.

most people adjust their mirrors so the vehicle can be seen in the mirror. I adjust mine to where I cant see the back of the truck in the mirror at all. Being in a truck my mirrors also have more of a downward tilt to them so I can see cars beside/behind me. My inside rear view mirror is then setup centered on the back window.

??Wholeheartedly agree with your post. Make sure to adjust mirrors as stated above and you will have no blind spots.
  • Like 1

I adjust the side mirrors as mentioned above with each having a slight overlap of the rear view mirror so when a vehicle starts to leave the rear view mirror it shows up in the side view and just before it leaves the side view mirror you can see it out of your window. Works great for my truck however I can't get it to work in my wife's Malibu due to the tiny mirrors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wholeheartedly agree with your post. Make sure to adjust mirrors as stated above and you will have no blind spots.

I still keep the tail of my truck in both side mirrors personally. Frame of reference for my peace of mind...

I adjust the side mirrors as mentioned above with each having a slight overlap of the rear view mirror so when a vehicle starts to leave the rear view mirror it shows up in the side view and just before it leaves the side view mirror you can see it out of your window. Works great for my truck however I can't get it to work in my wife's Malibu due to the tiny mirrors.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I have mine adjusted so that I only see the taillights along the inside edges of my side mirrors. Like TJ, Letz and Marv, I like where they are set. I also keep track of all/most of the vehicles behind me, especially if I notice that they are catching up to me.

I'm changing to the trailering mirrors personally. Stock ones are decent, the trailer mirrors are much better, especially if you actually tow anything.

I'm looking to upgrade to towing mirrors and using the lower mirrors to see what my teen driver sees, when not pulling a trailer.

I'm changing to the trailering mirrors personally. Stock ones are decent, the trailer mirrors are much better, especially if you actually tow anything.

I would prefer the towing mirrors on my truck. They look good, are great with towing, and more forgiving if a little out of adjustment! Inherent with larger mirrors is a greater forward blind spot in certain conditions. As mentioned before, the stock mirrors when properly adjusted are good for most driving situations. (without a wide trailer). If you are having difficulty driving safely with the standard mirrors, then definitely work on the adjustment.

Proper mirror adjustment means the side mirrors pick up where the rear view mirror ends, with minimal overlap. This eliminates a blind spot. Angle the side mirrors down more; you don't need to see a quarter mile behind you, but you do need to see next to you and a hundred yards behind you. Adjust the mirrors to where you need to see, not where you'd like to see. When backing up, move your head side to side to put the back of the truck in view. I've never even used the convex mirror, I forget it is there and is unnecessary. Skills negate the use of nanny tech.

• Like 1

Yes, it is an important safety feature that is missing on these trucks.

Sure, it's possible to make a workaround by screwing the mirrors way out, but you lose the ability to see where the truck is in the lane (and how close to things) because the truck isn't in the mirror anymore.

It was the ONLY reason I seriously considered buying an F150.

GM offers blind spot detection on just about every other vehicle it makes, including the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon.

Come on GM put blind spot detection on the trucks!!!

Edited by THD

I think it's more of a "I feel left out" issue than anything else. Push button start, blind spot lights, 360 cameras, etc. the fact that a lot of things either are, or were easily swapped with the SUVs...truck guys, myself included, feel left out. I'm not redheaded, nor a step child...why do I feel like I got left out?

...and yes, I would like all that extra crap on my truck as well even if I never use it. If nothing else, I wanna brag about how many "features" I got and how it's a great deal. Human nature.

• Like 1

I may be one of the few that don't really care about the blind spot lights on a truck, I have them on my Audi and are neat, but I still look over my shoulder when changing lanes and I don't really need additional lights blinking at me. To each there own. I gotta say, I do like having a push button start over another big extra key gouging me in the my leg though. It is what it is though, and I still love the truck anyway :)..

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

So the other question is will a 2017 Chevy Tahoe mirror bolt on to a 2017 Chevy Silverado door frame and is the plug the same has anyone done this the reason why am doing this I want to ditch the little Blindspot mirror I don’t use it in the directional on the mirror is actually a arrow on the Tahoe opposed to the dotted lines on our Silverado‘s