Satellite antenna leaking over sun visor!

My truck is 13 months old and no leak yet but I lost my satellite signal recently. While drying it off I noticed water leaking from under the antenna. The roof metal is so thin that the slightest pressure distorts the top and it pulls away from the antenna base. I'm sure that a car wash pushes water under and a leak is coming soon. Dealer visit is in order.

My truck is 13 months old and no leak yet but I lost my satellite signal recently. While drying it off I noticed water leaking from under the antenna. The roof metal is so thin that the slightest pressure distorts the top and it pulls away from the antenna base. I'm sure that a car wash pushes water under and a leak is coming soon. Dealer visit is in order.

Edited by Ron.s

Nope. No sunroof.

Guess I'm getting sensitive...Last month I had it throw 7 codes, stabilitrack warning, abs light, brake light, trailer brake warning, and electronic power steering warning, and a couple others. I made the dealer come get it with a rollback. They had it for a week and, of course, no "active" codes when they looked at it and they couldn't replicate in test drives. They said they reviewed a couple TSBs and checked some wiring, but everything checked out.

So now I'm waiting for it to act up again so I can video the dash when it lights up like a Christmas tree...And I see water dripping from the ceiling. I've only got 10,000 miles on the truck and I'm getting frustrated with these little issues. I don't have time to keep running it to the dealership once a month.

It's possible the water leak has been the source of all those problems all along.

I'd get the leak fixed. If your electrical issue go away, you can assume that was the problem.

If you let it keep happening, you risk some permanent, or at least "very hard to pinpoint" electrical damage.

Most electrical issues caused by water *usually* can withstand the water causing anything permanent and the problems just go away when they dry out.....for awhile. But if they keep getting wet, they'll eventually corrode and cause problems later on.

Sat antenna, windshield. I've seen quite a few of each. Seen the roof seam leaking right over the top of the windshield a couple times as well. And of course, sunroofs, but not as much just yet.

• 11 months later...

Gorilla 100% Silicone clear sealant is stated to be good for automotive and plastic usage. I put a nice thin bead of it around the entire antenna and it hasn't leaked since. As a preventative measure I went ahead and did the same to the top and both sides of the third brake light, since that has been reported to leak as well. If a light bulb needs to be replaced then I will just reapply. Since then, I have ran it through a touchless car wash and there was no leaking.

I did try to swap over the cargo lights to LEDs and the bulbs wouldn't budge when trying to get them out. When doing this I inspected the headliner and did not see any water stains.

Edited by pjerzy

• 1 year later...

My compass and navigation in my 2015 Sierra Denali stopped working.  While having my vehicle in for a recall I asked the dealer to diagnose the problem.  $150 later they tell me the HD antennae is bad.  A day later the thing starts to leak (not the first time it has leaked).  Can't help to think that water and the electronics in the antennae don't mix.  Going to pass on the $500 repair bill and live without all the functionality of the vehicle.  Has anyone heard of a recall from GM?

My 2017 Silverado Crew Cab just started to leak :sigh: and it looks like water is getting in from the "shark fin" antenna cover.  We've had some snow lately and I haven't driven the truck very much.  So as the snow melted, I figured water worked its way thru the antenna opening.  Last week, I found water on the left front of the passenger seat and water in the console tray.  There was dripping from the overhead console too.

The local dealership made an appointment for me to bring the truck in, but there were a couple of local snowstorms and the techs at the dealer that specialized in water leaks couldn't make it in and the water supply at the dealer froze.  So next Tuesday is the latest day I can get it in.  Sure don't want to have deal with this much longer and I hope that there is no old or mildew from this mess.  At least the dealer is aware of thissue and they know where to go to fix the problem.

45 minutes ago, c4cruiser said:

My 2017 Silverado Crew Cab just started to leak :sigh: and it looks like water is getting in from the "shark fin" antenna cover.  We've had some snow lately and I haven't driven the truck very much.  So as the snow melted, I figured water worked its way thru the antenna opening.  Last week, I found water on the left front of the passenger seat and water in the console tray.  There was dripping from the overhead console too.

The local dealership made an appointment for me to bring the truck in, but there were a couple of local snowstorms and the techs at the dealer that specialized in water leaks couldn't make it in and the water supply at the dealer froze.  So next Tuesday is the latest day I can get it in.  Sure don't want to have deal with this much longer and I hope that there is no old or mildew from this mess.  At least the dealer is aware of thissue and they know where to go to fix the problem.

They will have to fix that according to the establishment...slip the tech a tube of RTV and ask him/her to please put a bead around the seal. Tell them to keep the RTV for themselves, most will gladly do it.

My compass reading disappeared from my Driver Information Center a couple of months ago on my 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71.  Then 3 weeks ago it re-appeared intermittently for a couple of days and then disappeared again and is still not displaying.  Last week I noticed a small water stain on the headliner above the driver's side roof post at the end of the visor.  I'm assuming this is due to water getting in around my Onstar antenna.  Does anyone know the GM Part # for this antenna?  My truck does not have Navigation but does have Onstar and XM Satellite Radio.