just bought a 2016 Chevy 2500 4x4 6.0, looking ahead to maintenance ..

Y'all are on CRACK for even thinking about rear end fluid changes at anything less than 100k miles.

10k and you dumped it? Complete waste of time, $ and perfectly good fluid.

Change engine oil and filter every 5k. Maybe less if you're running it REAL hard.

Transmission/xfer case every 40,000.

Rear and front ends every 100k.

Ps fluid every 50k,if you're really bored, and super OCD. This is a super low wear, low heat area with huge tolerances.

Dont overthink it. Use good fluid, but dont get crazy with ultra exotic, hard to find, and $$$ bullshit. You dont need synthetic engine oil.

I swear, sometimes this place reminds me of the Diesel forums, where a 21yr old thinks he is the first person to Hot Rod anything, and has all kinds of inside info that no one else has figured out yet.

All it took was a casual look at Xfer and diff magnetic plugs and the amount of break in wear metals on them to convince me to follow a regimen of changing out factory fluids in them by 10K miles. It is such an easy procedure and doesn't cost much. Trans more difficult and costly, but it gets done at the same time also. Maybe on crack, but I have not lost a diff, Xfer, or transmission in 45 years. It might not have been due to the intervals I change at, but it sure didn't hurt.

I change my oil by 5K on my 2015 2500 now, but that is primarily because I rarely put more than that amount of miles on in a year! I actually do my motor oil changes on an annual basis, not a mileage basis. This last time, I had previously changed the oil in June of 2016. I changed it in June of this year. Total miles... 3700. But a lot of those miles are working miles... hauling, snow plowing, etc along with many, many of those miles on dusty gravel roads. I get my oil thru my commercial oil supplier account, and a case lasts me two years. Not even noticeable cost wise, and all these fluid and oil changes are deductible on my taxes!

About to do my first (trucks second, dealer did the first) oil change. What surprised me was that it has the smallest oil filter I have seen on a truck.

Install a Wix 57045, much bigger/better!

I always dump 7qts in a 6.0.

Bigger, maybe. Better? In what way? Do you have UOA proof that it is better than a smaller filter. It is the cellulosic media or the synthetic media of the 57045XP?

Bigger, maybe. Better? In what way? Do you have UOA proof that it is better than a smaller filter. It is the cellulosic media or the synthetic media of the 57045XP?

Yes it is better, filters more microns.

57045XP is a horrible filter.

Feel free to look it up, I could care less what filter everyone uses.

Actually, the XP is a synthetic media filter as opposed to the standard 57045 cellulosic (paper) filter. The synthetic media filters typically have a smaller micron filtration rating. Wix and Donaldson (the filters I use most often) are pretty similar filters. In my experience with both, the cellulosic will have a typical micron rating of 21-22. The synthetic versions typically 15-18. Lower means better filtration. And even though the synthetic has a smaller micron rating, it will typically have a more uniform structure than enables a better beta flow thru it compared to cellulosic. Not sure how all of that makes the 57045XP a horrible filter. It should actually be slightly better. These characteristics are similar for many different brands.

I don't use Wix very often, so have no dog in this hunt, so to speak. But I go thru a lot of filters in a year for my various needs and make myself aware of various characteristics of many different filters.

A filter doesn't filter more microns, it filters to a specific micron size. But that being said Wix filters, in general, are very good filters.

Archived