Who likes their 6 Speed?

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

'16 CCSB 4700 mi , so far I'm happy, smooth shifting, occasional it hunts, but not the norm .I believe it has adaptive learning, so it learns how you drive.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like my 6 speed... since BB straighten it out. My 14 Crew with 24,000 and change had 2 bad points. trans and fog lights.

6 speed is now fixed... Fog lights, soon to be.

I find that if I turn off the grade brake and drive in M5 as suggested in another thread the transmission shifts much better than when in drive and this also disables the afm (I don't do a lot of highway driving so not going into 6th gear is no big deal for me)

The funny thing is I notice different days the transmission acts differently....

So yesterday I drove it all day and everything was fine. I drove it to work this morning, no issues. Drove home from work and noticed the downshifts were harsher than normal. It was cold this afternoon, maybe that had something to do with it ... but it was cold this morning too and I didn't notice any issues.

I turned off grade braking and it seemed fine again. It is like the transmission has a mind of it's own on different days.

Anybody else feel like this?

I'm on my third truck with a 6 speed. 2007 2500, 2010 1500, and now a 2015 1500.

I have no complaints. That was one of the things that I liked about the 2015 I bought vs. getting a 16 or 17. I just read some not so glowing reviews of the 8 speed and knew what I was getting in the 6 speed.

Mine have all been bone stock and I love them.

I'm amending my view of "indifference" to generally liking. It seems to have learned my habits and downshifts at the slightest throttle provocation, waits to upshift until grades have plateaued, and always seems to know which gear to be in nearly as much as when I drive my '84 GMC (with a manual). After hitting 22.3 mpg with nearly 2000 lbs in the bed on a recent 170 mile highway trip, I'm more than fine with it.

Now if the truck could only be as good in the snow as the X3 it replaced...

Has anybody has their 6 speed in for a transmission update lately? Are there any TSBs out for the 6 speeds? Seem a lot of 8 speed TSBs out for clunks. I would be surprised if there wasn't a software update for ours as well.

Does anybody know if the 6-speed has Adaptive Learning or something similar where it learns shift points over time? Does anybody know how many miles it takes to do that or if it can be reprogrammed somehow?

Y

Does anybody know if the 6-speed has Adaptive Learning or something similar where it learns shift points over time? Does anybody know how many miles it takes to do that or if it can be reprogrammed somehow?

Yes, it does have a learning curve. I do not know how long it takes but I have read that it can be reset by pulling the battery cable.

When I had my truck in for new headlights (wider spread / free) and lower the volume of the warning ding, they had to reprogram the entire truck, took 40 minutes, then the truck had to relearn shifts and took about 1 hour driving to feel like the old truck. Also my XM was like day 1 with traffic & weather included for 1 month free ...

My 2015 was a hard clunking POS.

My 2017 is generally smooth; it's just that I can hear it downshift into the lower gears; 3-2 2-1

Kinda like a popping clicking sounds.

Also when coasting down hill when it lets loose of the gear it's currently in and grabs the next gear up I hear the same sounds, pop click.

Anyone else have this, hear this?

(2017 5.3 6 speed)

In my opinion no transmission should make noises like this, weather it's a $20k small car or a $50k full size truck.

The question is, is there going to be any long term damage being caused due to whatever noises I'm hearing during the shifts.

Try turning the key to "ON" (but not starting) and holding the throttle to the floor (not going to flood with throttle by wire and a fuel pump) for 30 seconds. This is how one would reset the transmission adaptations on a BMW with a GM 6 speed, so I'm thinking the programming is the same.

The funny thing is I notice different days the transmission acts differently....

So yesterday I drove it all day and everything was fine. I drove it to work this morning, no issues. Drove home from work and noticed the downshifts were harsher than normal. It was cold this afternoon, maybe that had something to do with it ... but it was cold this morning too and I didn't notice any issues.

I turned off grade braking and it seemed fine again. It is like the transmission has a mind of it's own on different days.

Anybody else feel like this?

Mine is like this too.

Archived